Battlefield V (2018)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowDuke, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Dice is going to have to work extra extra extra hard to win me back. And I have been a huge BF fan since Bf2. They completely shat on their playerbase and killed their own game.

ShadowDuke and ramthegamer like this.
  2. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    such a crap way to end support also possible the first battlefield mainline game to not get years of solid support.

BFV has been treat like crap by upper management its a joke, when you're ignoring your main gameplay designer and pushing stuff like the ttk changes you have some big problems.

My biggest worry is the amount of talent and people who genuinely cared about battlefield that have left in bfv's life cycle.

no idea what's in store for BF6 and at this point I don't care much.

cerebus23, Repo Man, Kolt and 3 others like this.
  3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Played 3hours yesterday. Today was the day: just uninstalled.

208 hours played, against 168h for BF1, and around 700h on BF4 :eek:

Solfaur likes this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Now that you mentioned playtime, to my amazement (or rather shame), I have 649 hours played in BFV, lol. I guess it shows how much I like the BF "core gameplay" that I stick with it even when it's by far at its worst. And also it was pretty much the only MP game I've played in the last 2 years (other than 2 months of WoW Classic)...

As far as the others go, allmost 1000 hours in BF1 (which I actually loved), 4-500 in BF3 and 4 (each). Too bad there was no Origin to track it back then, but BFBC2 was probably in the 1000 range as well, my first "love" and probably favorite BF ever, judging by playtime.

I hope so much that they get their crap straight with the next BF, or else I'm pretty sure it will mean the end of the franchise.

XenthorX and ShadowDuke like this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I finally budged and tried raytracing in this game... and i am not impressed at the slightest... performance with raytracing at 4k with dlss is the equivelant to 4k without raytracing and with 125% render res... and the difference in image quality is stark, even in this best case scenario for raytracing, where im looking directly at the water reflections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know what i'd choose every day of the week... less RT crap, and more rasterazation performance nvidia !

As a note, the difference in image clarity is actually far greater ingame, than on these screenies... the difference between the 2 settings is immense ingame, although still clearly visible on these screenies.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Passus likes this.
  6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I don t think there s anything rather impressive at all, the water has more reflections and that s about it, indeed the raytracing in this game is a gimmick , while it is more prominent in Metro exodus

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    You'll actually see the difference of raytracing when it does things screen space reflections can't do, which is not the case in your example shot beside maybe for the 2 windows of the building on the left.

Right now, what's happening is that your entire scene is transformed in a simplified way by the engine, sent to the GPU, the GPU then creates an "acceleration structure" out of your scene to be able to do fast ray intersections:
    It could be a simple set of boxes for instance, do i hit the box? Yes? test against the actual geometry. No? test next box.

Once this simplified structure has been created, it'll check every pixel at the DLSS resolution to see if its ability to reflect light is beyond a certain treshold. If it's the case, it'll trace rays given your view position, the object position, and the surface normal on the acceleration structure created beforehand.

In your screenshot, it's doing all this extra work for nothing more than what screen space reflection could do sadly.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Let's just say that RT wont be used by me until the performance cost is at the level of regular screenspace reflections... meaning never.

I really don't understand people who jumped on the nvidia gimmick bandwagon... but then again, it was the same with physx years ago... it will likely die out like all other gimmicks, when it aint the newest buzzword anymore.

XenthorX and Passus like this.
  9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I wouldn't draw any conclusion regarding RT using BF5 as reference. This move to RT from nvidia has allowed the whole industry and even rendering API to move toward this new direction.

This tech allowed the serie "The Mandalorian" to be made in a complete new way with panoramic virtual sets extensions.

Regarding games, in the end i think BF5 didn't make a big impression, it's been plagued with a terrible DLSS from the start and they stopped developping the game before DLSS 2.0 could turn it a bit over.
    But overall the reflection in BF5 aren't really front and center.

On the other hand, Control and Metro Exodus were awesome and raytracing did make a difference.

Kolt likes this.
  10. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    EA has officially lost their mind

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I haven't seen any examples of RT being worth the performance hit - yes the lighting does look nicer in exodus with RT enabled, but is it worth the MASSIVE performance hit over traditional rendering? Imo no. I know i am fighting the hype here, but i honestly really think it's a freaking waste of performance chasing RT, and would much rather have that consumer gpus did NOT have RT / tensor cores, and instead more rasterazation performance, for higher fps / res with traditional rendering.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's like EA are trying to treat Battlefield like....... not a Battlefield game... if that makes sense?

More like fortnite.

Dragam1337 and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  13. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I believe that was the original vision and the 1st reveal trailer with the baseballbat-girl looked like that as well. They tried to mix BF Heroes and BF 1 into something that would cater to the Fortnite crowd as well.

In the end nobody was happy. 2 years for a 'long lasting Game-as-a-service experience' is pretty pathetic.

ramthegamer, Dragam1337 and Solfaur like this.
  14. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Final content update. Honestly I'm excited. It's not a bad amount of content, at least compared to what I was expecting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/gvu9q6/battlefield_v_summer_update_notes/

Battlefield V - Summer Update
    Today we’re informing you here of what to expect when the Summer Update goes live tomorrow morning.

It’s a content-heavy update that adds two new maps, nine new weapons, six new vehicles, five new gadgets, and three new types of grenades.

The first of the two maps is the all-new Al Marj Encampment. Set in Libya, this is an infantry-only map, where you can expect both close-quarter fights and ranged combat depending on where you are on the battlefield. It’s 64 players on Conquest and Breakthrough, with additional configurations available on Squad Conquest and Team Deathmatch.

The second map is a redesigned and expanded Provence. The play area has been extended to include the farm land, and areas around the outskirts of town, bringing tanks into this battlefield on 64-player Conquest, and Breakthrough.

Both of these maps feature the U.S. and German armies as the two playable factions, with additional changes having also been made to Twisted Steel and Panzerstorm. We’ll be following up with a similar adjustment on Al Sundan later this month; in the interim this map won’t feature in rotations while we make these changes. Twisted Steel and Panzerstorm will otherwise continue to operate as UK and German factions on Grand Operations and won’t be adjusted in this mode.

To further support these faction changes, new vehicles have been added to the U.S. faction, and we’ve increased the number of U.S. soldier characters by 14, with 2 additional soldier characters also being added to Japan.

In the full Update Notes below, I’ve listed out all of the new weapons, gadgets, and grenades being added in this update. Players who download and login to Battlefield V throughout the next few weeks will receive these items as login rewards, which you’ll be able to accept from the Armory, and equip via the Company. Later in June, these items will revert to the Company for purchase with Company Coin, for anyone who wasn’t able to login and claim the items during this time.

The update goes live tomorrow morning across all platforms starting at 07:00 UTC and I’ll keep you updated via the usual channels on its rollout.

Maps & Modes
    New Maps:

• Al Marj Encampment (Conquest, Breakthrough, TDM, Squad Conquest).
    • Provence (Conquest, Breakthrough, TDM, Squad Conquest).
    Additional Changes:

• Aerodrome - Removed the MG turret that was placed below the ground at the edge of the map.
    • Aerodrome - Removed the stationary weapon fortification that was placed into the ground near Sector F.
    • Al Sundan - This map has temporarily been removed from rotation whilst we address an issue with incorrect VO, following a change to the playable factions on this map. It will be returned to all rotations pending a Hotfix that we’ll be releasing as soon as possible.
    • Marita - Fixed a hole in the wall by Zervos Farm which could be exploited.
    • Panzerstorm - All standard modes now feature U.S. vs. Germany (except Grand Operations).
    • Panzerstorm - German Army is now set as the defending force.
    • Twisted Steel - All standard modes now feature U.S. vs. Germany (except Grand Operations).
    • Twisted Steel - Outpost - Fixed the floating barrels and barbed wire near Radio Tower A.
    • Twisted Steel - Outpost - Players should no longer be able to get stuck between the barrels and the bridge strut near tower D.
    • Underground - Fixed an exploit that could disable smoke effects.
    • Combined Arms - Fixed the missing tab on the end of round screen.
    • Firestorm - Players will no longer enter a bleed out state when playing solo mode.
    • Practice Range - Added the missing Panzerbüchse 39 & Boys AT Rifle bi-pod when using them on the range.

Provence

Weapons & Gadgets
    New Weapons:

• Sjögren Shotgun (Support)
    • Chauchat (Support)
    • M3 Infrared (Recon)
    • K31/43 (Recon)
    • Welgun (Medic)
    • M1941 Johnson (Assault)
    • PPK/PPK Suppressed (all classes)
    • M1911 Suppressed (all classes)
    • Welrod (all classes)
    New Gadgets:

• Doppel-Schuss (Recon)
    • RMN 50 Grenade Launcher (Recon)
    • Pistol Flamethrower (Assault)
    • Shaped Charge (Support)
    • Kampfpistole (Support)
    New Grenades:

• Firecracker Grenade (all classes)
    • Demolition Grenade (all classes)
    • Type 99 Mine (all classes)
    Additional Changes:

• Add-on Grenade Launchers for the Tromboncino and M1 Garand now try to switch to the main ammo type instead of the pistol when the player runs out of ammo. If no primary weapon ammo is available, a switch will be made to the pistol as normal. We think that this will lead to a better combat flow when the player ends up in these scenarios.
    • The Breda M1935 PG’s fire switching sound can now be heard.
    • Fixed a bug where smoke grenades would sometimes detonate in different positions for different clients, or not detonate at all.
    • Unified the impact grenade's trajectory with the other frag grenades for improved consistency of grenade throws.
    • Slightly increased the time an impact grenade must travel, the amount it bounces off a surface, and detonation delay after bouncing. This won't substantially change the gameplay of the grenade, but will improve the pucker factor of having one of these thrown at you.
    • Fixed a bug with the Lunge Mine which would cause another knockback, when it had been selected again after a previous use.
    Vehicles
    New Vehicles:

• A-20 bomber (U.S. Faction)
    • P-70 Night Fighter (U.S. Faction)
    • P-51D fighter plane (U.S. Faction)
    • P-51K fighter plane (U.S. Faction)
    • M8 Greyhound (U.S. Faction)
    • Puma Armored Car (German Faction)
    Additional Changes:

• Improved the transition to ragdoll when players die in a vehicle and made it so the vehicle/wreck is followed for the victim to make it a more interesting experience.
    • Fixed an issue with the Hachi that was causing it not to steer as well as intended when moving at higher speeds.
    • Smoke screen weapons on tanks and airplanes now properly block spots, and name tags.
    • Fixed a bug that would cause the vehicle UI to show an incorrect position of the cannon, if the player had used it, and then switched seats.
    • AA guns now suppress on the same level as other vehicle MGs.
    Planes

• 500lb bombs now have lowered blast damage, and increased irreparable damage to make it a two-pass kill.
    BF-109 G2

• Specialization tree changes to compete with P51K.
    • Start loadout includes spotting flares and 2x50kg bombs.
    • Engine or gun upgrade at tier 1.
    • Defensive options or finned barrels at tier 2.
    • Ground attack options or leading edge for tier 3.
    • Finally some less critical upgrades for tier 4.
    BF-109 G6

• Specialization tree changes to compete with P51D.
    • Start loadout includes nitrous, smoke, and 2x rockets.
    • Explosion protection or gun upgrade at tier 1.
    • Defensive options or finned barrels at tier 2.
    • Ground attack options or leading edge for tier 3.
    • Nitrous now functions in the same way as the super charger for the Pacific planes.
    • Finally some less critical upgrades for tier 4.

Soldier
    New Soldier Characters:

• 14 New U.S. Faction Soldiers.
    • 2 New Japan Faction Soldiers.
    Additional Changes:

• Additional fixes to prevent players from getting stuck in a bleeding out state. If this does not fix the problem, we hope that it will decrease the rarity from uncommon to rare.
    • Fixed a bug that would in some cases play the wrong voice over when a soldier spots a bomber.
    UI & Other
    • Fixed an issue that would cause spotted enemies to not show on the mini-map if the player walked into their own smoke.
    • Added the missing descriptions for the Calliope and Hachi in the statistics tab.

15. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    Yawn.

People still playing this game? :)

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Very, very few.

As for the patch, yeah it's "big-ish", but what likely happened is they had all this unfinished stuff already done and decided to make it into a pack and throw it out there before pulling the plug. And because of that, it will surely introduce tons of bugs/imbalances etc., that will most likely never be addressed, as the way the phrased it to be the "final" patch, does not leave much space for that.

I know it's redundant complaint for so many reasons at this point (and I've said it before), but I still can't wrap my head around the fact that we won't see the Eastern Front in all its glory through the frostbite engine. It's even more frustrating as I've been reading some journals/books and re-watched some of the classic Stalingrad movies recently, and the potential was so freaking big. At least for WWI justice has been done through BF1, which is ironic considering how much less (undeserved) attention that war has had through history and movies. :(

Dragam1337 likes this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I do from time to time, yes.

I enjoy playing arras, devestation, rotterdam, and the new islands map.

Xtreme512 and Solfaur like this.
  18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    not really uninstalled long time ago, as i don t have the will anymore tbh, the gameplay and map designs doesn t really cut it for me, felt like i played this for so long got bored, im into the other competitor now

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Most likely why traditional BF players have dropped the series. I get that their is a certain level of selfish pleasure to be gleamed from having the highest K/D or being top of the score board but BF series has always been a team game. If the teams doing poorly chances are you're going to do badly as well. Pivoting the game to the self centred 'only me' Fortnite crowd was only going to have one result. The Fornite crowd aren't going to suddenly jump ship for this new game that is trying to be a bit like Fortnite, they already HAVE Fornite and the folk who wanted a BF game will jump ship because the game isn't enough like a BF game any more.

Who knows maybe Dice or the overlord that pulls their strings at EA will learn something, perhaps the love for Battle Royale has waned over the last two years and maybe just maybe the guys who make BF games can perhaps give us a proper BF game and if they can cut out the preachy marketing BS then that would be even better.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    EA/DICE don't care about "Battle Royale".. what they do care about is the amount of money Fortnite is slurping up with "Skin" sales, that is what EA want, recurring purchases, they don't want to sell you a video game once, they want to sell you an online shop that happens to have a video game behind it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Solfaur and Kolt like this.