AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That link IS NewEgg. Amazon's $1900 price is a $100 off sale off of MSRP, they even list the $2000 price. So yes I should say my bad I didn't check there, I should have just used a shop search engine for a list.

Why are you talking about random sales you find as if that somehow changes the fact that AMD raised prices by $200? You want to go by that logic, okay, here's the previous 32C chip at $1432 on Amazon. By that pseudo-logic AMD jacked prices up by $468 USD to make it $1900. But I'm not retarded, so I'm not going to pretend I'm dumb enough to believe that's how it works, and go back to what I said that they raised the MSRP by $200. And that $200 is barely anything compared to the initial price increase they wanted. I guess everyone telling them to frack off actually made them go with the generous low low $200 price increase.

You want to keep talking about sales? AMD released the 3970X at $2000 MSRP when the 2990WX was available as low as $1300 at the time, and not some rare one-off thing, as you can see by it still being available at $1400. AMD released it at $2K knowing their previous chip was going for that much. They wanted a $700 premium, or more accurately, if you wanted the latest 32C TR, it was a $700 premium over the previous 32C TR at the 3970X's launch.

AMD are a company out to make as much money as they can, not your friend.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    so long as theres an agesa module that can support 3000 and 4000, and an smu to pair it with that supports 300 and 400 chipsets vendors can make this work, it'll just take extra effort from vendors to disable Gen 4 on these boards.

ManofGod likes this.
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What are the odds we'll get that? AMD have went borked AGESA to disable PCIE4 support on older boards. And this round it seems to be the board vendors really pushing for it, so even if AMD does provide the AGESA needed, what are the odds the board partners will reasonably provide the support? If it's available, I'd bet on board makers either straight up not providing support on X470/B450, or only providing it on specific boards rather than all those which physically can support it. It'd happen only if one company does it and the others decide to compete.

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I think leaving it up to the board partners would end up more than likely them doing it a board by board basis just like with the Radeon RX 5600XT with its 14Gbps BIOS only certain cards can handle that BIOS. I think B450 boards like the MSI tomahawk/max and the Gaming Carbon for example might be able to support 4xxx CPUs and the same thing goes with the high end x470 boards as well. Also what I don't know is whether or not AMD or the board partner makes the BIOS updates and if AMD has their hand in the process chances are that the partners might not be able to add 4xxx CPU support due to AMD not giving them the information needed for the update.

5. NGGJimmy

NGGJimmy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX570Pulse
    A year and a half from now we will be getting Zen 4/AM5. As a B450 user I might be kinda suprised, but Zen 3 it's kinda no-go. Zen 3 will be the last on AM4 and from there if you want to go above, you will need both a new CPU and Mobo. New buyers can and should absolutely go for B550/X570, but those who want to upgrade, should wait for AM5.

BTW: Cuz I see there is a lot of talk about where AMD lied or not, can someone provide AMD quote where they say the will support socket or chipset in the long term. I will stay with my R5 2600 until R5 5600 (hope for reasonable price)

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    AMD did not lie and they never said anything referring to any length of time for supporting chipsets. All the support talk has been about the socket and the socket only. The statement was that one did not need to purchase a new motherboard up to 2020. Which means they promised a cpu drop-in upgrade for all boards through Ryzen2. The op with his last post either realized his feelings were unfounded or this thread was just one giant toll job. My knee jerk reaction leaned towards this thread being a giant troll job because of how the post was worded.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I guess it might be possible to support it, but I really wonder if things might change on the hardware level (despite the pinout, yes Mr. "1150-is-TOTALY-DIFFERENT-FROM-1151"), since Zen 3 is moving to an octocore CCX design.

Think they will allow partners to try, but they don't look very happy in doing that. Still the socket has had a much better run from anything we have gotten since the Socket 7 days.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not so hard to read, right? Neither can you, right? Or you failed to understand meaning in text and called it lie instead.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    While I agree that AMD has bad reasoning for axing support is the BIOS flash memory capacity limitations considering the 4xx boards have high capacity storage. I also agree that users who purchased a 3xx series boards should be happy that they had a nice long run. As someone who is going to be purchasing a b450 mobo I don't care if it supports Zen3 cpus or not because the the 3700x is more than enough to satisfy my needs so I don't feel cheated at all. Also while I agree that some 4xx users will be upset while other later adopters of 4xx series boards won't feel cheated either because Zen2 CPUs may come down in price some once Zen3 launches.

Also I would recommend read Hardware Unboxing's Comment about conversations he had with AIB partners and how it is impossible to get 4xxx series support with out AMD's Help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2020
  10. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Man I'd hate to see if the people on here touting off that "they got betrayed" were to actually get betrayed for real what would happen.

Buying mid range hardware and expecting the moon a bit much....

11. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Hardware unboxed is becoming more of an opinion channel than that of anything else.

Screaming off with anything their fan base comes up with.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2020
  12. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I would somewhat agree about X370. But X470 and B450 is not that old and there were literally newer B450's JUST launched.

If you are really familiar with them, they are actually very pro AMD, so for them to be like this is BS, it isn't just them taking advantage of the situation. Sure, they want clicks, but their arguments are pretty reasonable.

13. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    "You'll give AMD a few days to respond!?!". What are you their boss?

Pretty sure AMD has done and been doing the right thing as of late....

14. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Grrrr...
    Well, where's the hackers stealing the code (like with Nintendo) and making it public when you NEED them?

While I bought the x570 as I always try to buy the 'newest' platform if it's indeed better than last year's model (it is), I'm still not too happy about this.

I don't care if I get ALL the features or 100% the speed boost of a new CPU, just let me put the processor on there and make it WORK if it's electrically and mechanically compatible.
    Maybe I will want something faster than my 3700x one day.

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I think AMD will cave in if people start kicking off about the lies of B450 mobo supporting all future AM4 cpus.

I think this is all down to one thing, only a few 4xx mobos have a big enough bios chip.

16mb bios won't get it but mobos with 32mb chips could, maybe if there's a big enough stink.

My mobo was meant to support all AM4 Cpus and the same with the Tomahawk max.

They slyly deleted that part where it said all future AM4 socket cpus would work on my B450 AORUS PRO.

Last edited: May 11, 2020

16. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Atleast they could keep support for x470/b450 boards

17. h9dlb

h9dlb Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070
    For people that already have zen 2 on the b450 platform, it is not worth upgrading to zen 3 just for a 17% ipc increase.
    Further socket AM5, Zen 4, DDR5 and PCIE 5 is due out at the end of 2021 (just 18 months away), so really this is no big deal.

I'm looking forward to picking up a 3950x cheap to slot in my b450 in due course

Fender178 likes this.
  18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    That's what I have been saying as well since I heard about so little IPC increase from Zen2 to Zen3.

19. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    If they do not change the platform and call it AM4+ before next AM5, they will have huge problems. Legally, lawsuits are inbound. They are obligated to provide their support also for 2020, if it is still bland "AM4". War is coming.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol no