AMD takes back market share on Steam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    When Corona started in Q1 an odd effect was visual in the Steam hardware database. AMD lost market share, we explained that could be due to the fact that many people at home fire up their older laptop...

AMD takes back market share on Steam

Loobyluggs and Maddness like this.
  2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    What could be possible the "other" at video card usage chart? With what else you would run steam anyway? A workstation or other special role specific PC shouldn't have Steam installed.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Intel iGPU's I suppose unless there's unlisted mobile AMD variants that Steam doesn't have entries for, newer ones are compliant with Vulkan and D3D12 too and work very well for more casual games and even recent titles on lower settings fair pretty well.
    Low-spec gaming and below min even lets hardware that might be very old but still fulfilling the D3D requirements or CPU needs run the newer games or just some of the less powerful integrated graphics chips.

EDIT: CSGO seems like it's capable of hitting well over 60 FPS from a quick search.

[​IMG]

4. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
    Well some apps need to be tested along side different applications and sometimes games.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I too have found this a bit weird. I don't think it's anything ancient like S3, Matrox, or VIA graphics. But, there are some people who run Windows in a VM to play games, so you get virtual GPUs.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  6. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Matrox cards for example?

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Never forget the Steam hardware survey is voluntary--you have to opt-in before you are counted. No telling how many people never opt in...;) I can't remember the last time I did.

The Goose likes this.
  8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    ^^^^ Yea that's true it's an opt in system but i'm pretty sure that one side or the other don't do the test.

So even though it's opt in it's probably still a fair result.

9. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I bought a 3700x for content creation - saving hundreds and not needing a more expensive motherboard/chip-set, not needing a hundred for a good air cooler (nor a little less for cheaper air coolers OR conversely more for GOOD water cooling beyond AIO). The AMD processor with x570 chipset got a 50$ off instant rebate at checkout, bringing motherboard price of Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 (cheapest one!) down to 104.99. The biggest reason beyond the bargain and my well-enjoyed upgrade from a pig of a 4790k was that the consoles will be using similar (but monolithic like mobile) processing cores hooked to GDDR5 memory (fast!!!). So I should be pretty set (while console speeds ahead with monolithic design like laptop chips now, and fast memory, the desktop chips have more raw GHZ to combat that), as performance should then be on par.
    I use the heck out of it, and it loves to work and not make fire due to heat!
    ...but I do also know so many folks that bought into Ryzen 3xxx in the first 3 months after launch in July, as they upgraded from i7 quad-core style intel processor setups. They all have 0 buyer's remorse, love their systems, and never complain about things not being 'fast enough'.
    Just nice to have all this power and speed while still being efficient and quiet enough not to distract me or bake me out of the room on long content creation sessions. Sadly I have to go outside now and use the grill or the stove in the kitchen to cook dinner*, but not having all this heat venting out next to me is NICE.
    Couldn't say the same for my intel chips, and my old FX-6300 just couldn't get anything done at all (had it for 3 weeks in 2014 and was ready to throw the FX pc out the 2nd floor window, built whole new computer then with intel chip). Feels good to know I got a lot of speed and an affordable price though.
    *back 10 years ago I used to throw 2 refrigerated mcdonalds burgers on the (backplate / grilling surface of the) GTX 260 Black edition (reference blower) card I had in my x58 system, and they'd be hot / well warmed 100% through to the middle when I was done within one multiplayer 'classic' race on GTA IV. Maybe I miss that, but not the noise/heat/coil whine.

10. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    Nice made up story bro!

But fact remains that even cpu's with 125w tdp don't get really hot nor do they bake burgers when proper cooled. The new i5 10600k seems like a superb gaming cpu and will be cheap also, thanks amd!

11. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    It depends how many people opt in. Do we have the numbers? Cause a small sample size can result in not trustworthy results. The margin of error can get pretty big when the sample size is too small.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    See... it's posts like these.

13. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    image.png.eb567abeb3a9d1d6f24132f7e8b1fa69.png
    Proper pc's does not use either NVIDIA or Intel.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    itpro likes this.
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And none of that has anything to do with the topic of this thread whatsoever.....

15. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Have you looked at yourself in the mirror today, Honey?
    "AMD takes back market share..."
    ...I stated how both myself and a lot of people I knew both on Steam and other places, bought into Ryzen systems at various times in the last year...
    I then stated what both other folks and myself enjoy about the new Ryzen systems, and also why it was a solid investment. Example: how it doesn't roast me alive and still gives good FPS/perf.
    I also stated how the FX series of processors was utter rubbish, and why that cost them market share to Intel.

I am sure everyone knows SOMEONE who bought a Ryzen system, and is happy with the performance of it for what it cost them.

Now I didn't have to be explaining what I wrote, or I thought I wouldn't have to anyways. I don't normally do this, but I will make an exception for you, just this one time. However, I just wanted to make sure you could understand it.
    Surely I could have condensed it more as to not drown lower reading level folks out, like often found on WCCFTech, where people with poor English grammar use single line posts to bash others all day. So I reckon since no-one else (with decent forum history) had an issue with that post, it shouldn't normally be an issue.
    I'm sorry you were so offended by me trying to add to the conversation despite being in awful pain and on heavy muscle relaxers. I can only do the best I can, but it comes as-is with absolutely no warranty to how it shall please you or not, just like the rest of the internet. Maybe put the effort into doing something constructive, as it will make you feel better naturally VS trying to call me out for attention, by making up reasons which do not even exist to do so (which in-turn, necessitated you writing a single-line post having absolutely, positively no chance, at ever having anything to do with this topic, while claiming 'it's everyone else' that's the problem).
    --Cheers!

16. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I love the internet and this place.