AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    my 2 cents about this.
    AMD delayed the launch of B550 so much, mobo makers are still left with alot mobo refereshes for B450/x470 and this move is pressure from them most likely.
    I still do expect them to cave when sales are not what they expected.
    In the long term they will win if they bring support to older mobos.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Sounds like it to me that the ASrock board had an inefficient power phase to handle a 3700x. So yeah it's understandable that you needed a mobo upgrade. Which tells me that maybe AMD feels like that the Powerphase on cheaper 4xx boards are not efficient enough to handle Zen3 CPUs but instead of locking them boards down they are locking all 4xx boards B or X.

Yeah same here I keep both mobo and CPU and RAM for the life of the computer which is around 5 years but I am hoping with the new rig that I am building that I get even longer out if it like 7 or even 8 years.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Look again, it's gone significantly up on key products. AMD are doing the classic "let's see how far we can push" strat, they're picking an upper boundary and gauging the backlash.

Venix likes this.
  4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    If i updated my bios to F50 for AMD 3XXX cpus then i lose support for AMD 1XXX.

So i just kept it @ F32 which is the last bios update for 1xxx and 2xxx cpus.

I don't really care that i spent 470X money on a B450 mobo and that it won't be able to run 4xxx cpus.

BUT i'd rather wait and get B650 if they ever release it in line with a 4xxx cpu.

Why on earth they are releasing a B550 board now, kind of sucks. Just give us a new chipset 6xx and i'll be buying it.

This makes me worry that if i splash out on a higher end B550 mobo for a new 4xxx cpu that it won't be future proofed. btw my mobo costs more than the cpu lol.

Fender178 likes this.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah I agree it is pretty late for B550. I wouldn't worry too much because AMD did state the 2020 is the final year for AM4 based CPUs and Motherboards. Also the 6xx series chipset might be for AM5 stuff. Also do you by any chance have the $85.00 1600AF because that is the only cheap decent CPU that I could think of where the motherboard could be more money than it. With me I am not too worried about 4xxx CPUS or the 5xx chipset because I am getting a pretty high end B450 motherboard and I really don't care about PCI-E gen4 and anyway the 3700x is more than enough to satisfy my needs.

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I have the 1600 AF but its pretty much impossible to find for $85 as of recently.

Fender178 and ManofGod like this.
  7. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Nope, 3800X cost less than 1800X, 3700X costs less than 1700X, 3600 costs less than 1600 and so on. The 3900X and 3950X are completely new sku's that are higher end mainstream parts. So, no need to check again when I have facts on my side.

8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I got a 2600X for £115 uk and the mobo was closer to £140, i could of gotten a 470X for £140 as well but it's high end B450 vs low end 470X if you know what i mean.

ManofGod likes this.
  9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah. It is closer to $150 on Amazon.
    Oh Ok. 2600X is a good choice as well. Oh yeah I know what you mean. I was looking on Amazon they had a low end x570 for $160 bucks and then a High end b450 board for $160 as well. So I am choosing the high end b450 board because of the features.

ManofGod likes this.
  10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    That's pretty funny since you guys are by far the worst offenders when it comes to spreading BS. Here is a slide from an AMD presentation at the HPC-AI Advisory Council conference.

amd-epyc-roadmap.jpg
    See that? You know what that's called? It's called FACTS. none of your blow-hard fanboy outrage can change the facts. It's very simple... AMD lied

11. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    So according to you, AMD lied! Well, have fun on the Intel 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ build.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    "Nope, nuh-uh, nooo." What are you? 5? No you have the ignorance and the stubbornness of someone who believes in things without facts. Those chips were launched at higher prices than their predecessors by the time they hit store shelves, any old chips lying around are priced at whatever the frack. I can find a Ryzen 1600 priced at over $9000, that doesn't make it launch MSRP.

But that's NOT what I'm talking about. Higher end products outside the main Ryzen line at given tiers have had their prices jacked up by absurd amounts. You can continue calling me a liar, and I can continue being convinced you're a moron. Either you're playing dumb and still pretending you don't understand those are not what I'm talking about or...

Tech youtubers made a point of making videos talking about how absurd AMD's testing of the price limits are, and you're sitting there "nuh-uh". Okay, "man of god".

13. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    What, are you blind? Their HEDT prices are not jacked up, at all. Their prices are right in line with what they have been but, the actual architecture and core count have gone up, significantly. Or, lets see, an Intel 8 Core / 16 Thread Processor for $2000 before AMD, an AMD 32 Thread / 64 Core Processor after AMD for $2000. :) You keep trying and you keep failing. You keep saying something about playing something and then I give you facts so, you are wrong, period.

Edit: The AMD cpus are as they are and that cannot be refuted nor can the pricing of said AMD processors so no, AMD is not price gouging nor is their prices jacked up. I gave you facts and you chose to ignore them, ok, so what, what would you have me do, ignore what is right in front of me?

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Stop embarrassing yourself. You gave nothing, 0 links, just more nuh-uhs, "I R right" okay man of god. I even made it a point of trying to find the videos which went through the pricing but big channels make it a point not to have titles like "THESE PRICES ARE TERRIBLE COMPARED TO BEFORE", so instead I'll just get a list of MSRPs if a damn search engine would provide them.

What then? MSRP lists from AMD are fake news and I'm just wrong period? Man of god.

15. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Dude, I do not have to give links, everyone knows what the pricing of AMD processors are, it is not rocket science. LOL! Do you seriously argue against what is right if front of you and what everyone already is aware of? Prices are not jacked up and if you think they are, you are simply wrong and that is that. MSRP is exactly what I am talking about, they have not raised the MSRP of equivalent processors and in fact, have lowered for each generation.

Now we have 16 Core / 32 Thread processors for for $749 MSRP and the price of previous 16 Core / 32 Thread processors were more, not less so no, the prices did not go up. You do not need to provide links for common knowledge.

Heck, forget the MSRP, I can now purchase the 3900X for $399 and the 3950X for about $670.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I keep telling you I'm talking about higher end products like HEDT chips. So instead of continuing going back and forth I tried again to see if I can find a list of MSRPs from AMD directly, but search engines either don't like listing that or AMD's own website is pretty convoluted when listing it. Here's some random site I really don't like instead with a list of some prodcuts: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...3970x-release-date-cores-features-speed-price

Conclusion? We were both wrong. The initial pricing reviewers were raging (negatively) about didn't seem to go through which is pretty shocking to me. The final $200 USD increase on the top chip over the previous gen isn't nearly as much as the initial reports. That's still not a joke, a $200 creep up in 1 gen is still a sign that AMD are prodding to see how far they can push it.

17. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Even the entire line of HEDT processors can be purchased for less than MSRP.

18. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    1st Gen has nothing but a 16 Core / 32 Thread processor. 3rd Gen at $2000 is a 32 Core / 64 Thread processor so no, there was no price increase. In fact, the 24 Core / 48 Thread 3960X was less expensive than the 1st Gen with fewer resources. And if we are comparing processor to processor, the newest 16 Core / 32 Thread is $749 MSRP and considerably faster in all ways. So no, I am not incorrect, the facts are right here in front of everyone to see.

Oh, and the 2970WX is slower, with fewer features and major issues that prevented it from properly using all of its cores at once. Therefore, the 3970X is actually a higher end processor, despite the fact that it has the same number of cores and threads. In fact, if I wanted to, I could purchase the 3970x for $1899 before tax and shipping today.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I find no such thing, just prices not far above MSRP or at it, like $2015 USD for the 3970X.
    I can't tell if you're just trolling me at this point or if you're serious. Yeah no crap the newer chips are faster, that's how the industry works. Faster in a tier shouldn't = charge more every generation until no one buys. I remember the 2nd and 3rd gen 24C part being more expensive than 1st gen offerings (in store), and neither of us have links to anything.

As for the current gen vs last which is what we're actually talking about; I just gave you a list of prices, showing price increases when comparison equal core chips, and you look at that list, come back and say "So no, I am not incorrect, the facts are right here in front of everyone to see." What the frack? A $200 increase in price, much less than initial reports, still says shut up you loony.

20. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    You find no such thing because you seem not to want to. I could go to amazon right now and buy one for $1899, or Newegg, or B&H Photo. I showed you exactly the facts as they are and also explained that the 3970X is not the same as the 2970X, despite the same core and thread count. Here----------> have the last word, I am done.