Mozilla Firefox, new releases, Add-Ons, tips for customisation Part 2

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Try asking here.
    https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/issues/273

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/lockwise-password-authentication-prompt

firefox added this and it had me going for 5 hours trying fiqure how to stop it. on my Surface, I have to disable my pin on login for windows 10 to stop firefox from prompting this, which I DO NOT want to do. is there way to stop firefox from prompting this while keeping my windows 10 pin and NOT using master password for firefox?

I dont have this problem on my PC then again my pc dont have password to login, and If I had password to login on my desktop, I would pissed by firefox doing this in firstplace

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Try this, it might work in about:config
    https://www.askvg.com/firefox-tip-remove-lockwise-and-monitor-sections-from-aboutprotections-page/

Backup profile first as I have not tried it as I don't use logins.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Found the Fix via redit
    Code:
    signon.management.page.os-auth.enabled=false
    This will stop that firefox from asking for windows password IF you have windows password. I really dont get why this was forced in firstplace this what Master password is except you can CHOOSE to enable that master password before you could access the passwords which why i never enabled on my pc. THis function is force if you use Windows login password both do same thing one is forced kinda stupid. my dad was drive me crazy bout that cause he didnt want remove the windows password.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have question changing firefox cache from disk to ram still good idea? it 10+ years old tweak I still do, I turn of disk cache can change to ram and set it to 250m cache it been like that for ever. most did this cause if had some bad happen the cache was instantly cleared when closed and never touch my hdd. though whe I set it to 250m I had 6gb system I now have 16gb so i could increase the size .

is this good or bad idea? is hurting performance or firefox in loading things or anything

http://lifehacker.com/5687850/speed-up-firefox-by-moving-your-cache-to-ram-no-ram-disk-required

my profile use to be my HDD but now all my drive are SSD and my data drive is faster of the 2 SSD i have. make things easiler when I format pc I just point firefox to my profile on that drive. but I general DONT delete the profile and start off with clean profile, I probably have not done that in years.

and I been toying with the notion of deleting the profile and starting from scratch, so i save all cookie exceptions what not to notepad. and I was wonder if I should keep using ram cache only?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I used to mess around with that, now I just use disk cache, on an SSD.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    did you notice any diffrence bettween the 2?, really main reason i still do is cause if in ram cache, it cleared the moment Firefox closes and never hits drives so if any bad happens there should less chance of badder stuff happening?

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah, more reloading of resources I think. It's been a while. I had it on a RAMDisk at some point too.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    from performance stand point which was better it being on the SSD or in RAM in your opinion? I starting to wonder if FF being in ram is why i think things in FF have slowed down that or maybe the 3+ year old profile. I still dont understand why FF take so long to load on first start of a system boot up it almost like it got longer over the years, but after that first start is rather fast. I also have some tweaks I done to about:config over the years mostly for things FF done that were more of annoyance that I turned off, I no longer remeber how i chanced I ddint start right down these changes to recently.

I have like 134 "important modified preferences" at this point and I not sure which where me and which were the 4 extensions I have.

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No difference that I could detect. SSD/RAM/RAMDisk, all seemed the same to me. Firefox has changed over time now I don't even bother messing with about:config. I had a phase many years ago to reduce writes to the OS SSD, that's mainly why I ran it on RAM. I tried it recently on a RAMDisk to store Thunderbird/Firefox/Temp, but it causes long system boot times restoring previous state and it just annoyed me.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have refreshed my profile and instead make new profile which should be pretty much the same thing, I believe it using disk now

memory
    Number of entries: 8
    Maximum storage size: 32768 KiB
    Storage in use: 82 KiB
    Storage disk location: none, only stored in memory
    List Cache Entries
    disk
    Number of entries: 571
    Maximum storage size: 1048576 KiB
    Storage in use: 29806 KiB
    Storage disk location: D:\My User Profiles\Cyberfox\user name\cache2
    List Cache Entries
    appcache
    Number of entries: 0
    Maximum storage size: 512000 KiB
    Storage in use: 0 KiB
    Storage disk location: D:\My User Profiles\Cyberfox\user name\OfflineCache

Kept the old profile saved we see if this make any diffrence, but intial thought are it didnt make much of any diffrence performance wise

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I know it's probably a mutter/wayland related issue, but v77 managed to screw up all of my bookmarks, drag-n-drop from tab and save to folder functionality.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I'm moving away from firefox, I can hardly believe it lol MS Edge convinced me.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I tried bunch time to move away from FF. Wont touch IE and Edge is to much like chrome and there alot thing I dont like about chrome tried dozens of times to move to chrome always came back to FF within months timeo_O

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Anyone else notice since the last build that if you click on a bookmark some times the the page dont load. if you click the bookmark to load in current tab it current page remains but if click the bookmark to load in in tab you can see the url is put in the url bar but just dont load.

Has any noticed that? it happens bunch times a day and I know it not the mouse cause that was first thing I checked and it happen with multiple mouses I know are fine. this is also brand new profile maybe month or 2 old

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    All seems to be working right here. I normally open a bookmark in a new tab and have never had any problems. neither within the same tab though I don't do that so often.

PS: I think FF is the best of browsers.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm it been doing for while and I know it not mouse click issue