Download: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I was going to guess you were using firefox. I know exactly what you are talking about. I can have firefox on desktop. Have about 8-15 tabs open and all of sudden got a black screen. I too didn't have hardware accelerator enabled either. It didn't matter if firefox was up on screen or minimized. But it was so rare and it seem to correlate to having a lot tabs open that there was no way for me to reproduce it.

I also just tested changing the Video Profile in Microsoft Edge (Youtube )and guess what? It works!!! it works just fine. I'm still missing the Custom feature though. It's a pretty big coincidence that I'm seeing this all relate to Firefox.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah even after WebRender stabilized there's been multiple back and forth issues between AMD and Mozilla, easy enough to tell from the task manager if the process is using the GPU or not and for video playback you also get the boosted clock speeds although Navi being all free might behave a bit differently from Vega and earlier having a P3(?) or some such state for video playback performance.

Chromium generally fares better, was some issue with a earlier Chrome build but they fixed or worked around a AMD driver issue (Well they disabled a setting for AMD GPU systems I think. ~ ) and then I hope AMD themselves worked out the problem correctly.
    OS itself and the drivers also has some quirks related to what might be the scheduler for when game mode is enabled (Stuttering.) and then also the cursor for when hardware cursor is enabled though a bug(?) allows for setting cursor trails to -1 via the registry so it's kinda on but not really visible and somehow that works around the erratic performance or input lag in the current drivers.

Effectively going back to that there are unresolved issues but it's mostly very random or you have to do some specific adjustment and test and compare like how ULPS reduced the clocks dropping to very low numbers occasionally in many games for Navi systems when I think the state was originally intended for having the secondary GPU in a Crossfire system operate in near suspended or sleep mode from how I remember at least.

Chrome kinda won the whole browser "war" of sorts anyway though to go back to that but the extensions and customization has been handy but Mozilla keeps doing weird dodgy things (default-browser-agent.exe recently.) and other changes so eventually it might be time to jump over whether it's Edge but Chromed of sorts or just Chrome or some build of it less all these other Google processes and services ha ha.

Not sure if Firefox could even affect anything for the GPU without hardware acceleration even active, I'd doubt it but AMD's profile for Firefox.exe could still have something going on for all I know whether it's actively D3D11 supportive or running through software.

EDIT: As to drivers next week is the monthly cumulative update OS patch day again and maybe we'll get 20H1 / 2004 / Vibranium (I used the right name this time, I think!) 19041.208 something and I think that's all the names for Windows 10.x here. :D

So hopefully somewhere around late this week or early next week we'll get 20.5.1 too and maybe more fixes maybe the branch jump and shift for WDDM 2.7 support and all that and whatever else has changed.

I'd like a nice lengthy list of fixes ala 20.2.x post Adrenaline 2020 but without many of those fixes specifically being for issues added with Adrenaline 2020 this time. :D

...Course the Radeon VII owners having the GPU boost too high or not enough or doing other stuff and problems for Polaris and Vega is also a thing and what else is going on over with Navi and however AMD is plugging these issues sigh well it's all speculation really and only the Vanguard users would be on the new build for this upcoming driver and they can't really say anything much because NDA's but hopefully it's a nice driver and not just supporting one or two games and a few fixes even if the fixes have been good and it accumulates nicely.
    (Well the known issues remaining kinda fixed over the last few months also stands out and needs to be worked out but hopefully that too will improve and what else actually isn't listed.)

EDIT: So yeah "Fixed a issue where the RX 5700 could cause a black screen issue when the user was eating a hamburger." Yeah that'd be nice, less emergency whatever the some system keys and B combination was again and less potential keyboard messiness.

I was going to go back to regular system usage once it was eaten too, really. :p
    (Yes it's just randomness as with so many other Navi might-be-hardware might be whatever problems, really curious as to what it actually is but I doubt I'll ever really know.)

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I did a quick video of it.

But yeah, there are some odd issues using firefox as of late. I don't like Chrome as it just adds way to many processes to task manager for my liking. Last time I tried it I saw a process count increase of 5-7 just at desktop. That's a hard no for me.

Kuss and Krteq like this.
  4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nice, also curious on what AGESA 1.0.0.5 and that PCI Express stability fix could do for this but it might just be for any potential problem and what 1.0.0.6 will fix but so far Gigabyte doesn't have anything for their motherboards and while not verified they might be waiting on the 1.0.0.6 update for the next bios testing and updates.

That acting up would be more like a classic shutdown and the black screen and forced reboot issue though not a recoverable loss of display like what this was.
    (Whoops there goes the PCI Express connection yeah the system isn't going to recover that quite so easily or like at all.)

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I have to admit something. When I got those blackscreens I always had firefox opened. Makes me wonder how I can look for a list of times when firefox didn't shutdown correctly.

Have you taken a look at the Reliability Monitor to take a note what win10 caught? And are you able to back track to the last time you had a black screen and see what Reliability Monitor found?

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nothing on that unfortunately, Firefox has a slight issue with potential memory leakage as over a day or two of uptime you might see RDRLeakDiag.exe do a run but I've never traced it more than that it's related to Firefox and not that big of a deal.
    Lengthy uptime on Windows can be a issue as well and some software also has fun little timing bugs and other problems but I tend to do a reboot every third or fourth day for longer continual uptime for the system just to clear stuff like that and cached memory and what not.

7. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    Interesting.
    I use firefox all the time what my PC runs and I don't remember black screen. I have HW accel ON.
    Only problem which I sometime has is green flick in firefox. I use HW accel because with accel OFF the scrolling is very choppy and whole performance of web browsing is worse...

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    No problems with Firefox on my setup also, sometimes Playing Game + FF Open w/HW On and it's all fine.

9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    That is why I don't install any Corsair software for my AX1200i PSU. Corsair´s software is one of the worst. I use SIV if necessary.

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it can work very well and it has improved though come to think of it one thing that does differ with Navi compared to Vega and earlier is that the hardware video decoder changed from VCE or Video Core Engine to VCN or Video Core Next with one of the changes being support for VP9 videos which are otherwise done on the CPU so that's a possible difference for some of the browser accelerated issues though primarily in regards to video playback such as Twitch or Youtube plus some of the videos would also use either VP1 or the ongoing support for AVC1 though for this I don't think VCN supports that yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Core_Next

EDIT: Pretty certain some of the earlier 19.x and 20.x drivers already took to trying to resolve the various bug reports for how the GPU driver could crash or could lead to the black screen crash when doing video playback so at least AMD has resolved some of that in previous drivers.

EDIT: 19.9.2

Though it's one of those web browser issues that came back so I don't know the current status of that too well, it's all a bit back and forth and randomness as to whether it works or not from user to user.

EDIT: And then 20.2.2 had this.

Last edited: May 6, 2020

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @JonasBeckman

I've found the Protocol for Firefox crash list. It's called about:crashes
    You put that in the address bar and it will provide you a list of times that FF crashed. I just tried it and can clearly see that it directly correlates to when I had a black screen.
    Now I know it only means that FF crashed because you had to reboot the PC but it only happened when I had those black screens.

JonasBeckman, PrEzi and HD64G like this.
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nothing in there as the browser itself hasn't crashed but it's handy for looking up any logged unexpected crashes. :)

Also looking into video playback and hardware acceleration a bit more it seems it does work on Navi but there are multiple problems including a big one with dropping frames especially for high-resolution video playback.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/geth4g/amds_8k_video_decoding_vp9_is_messed_up_on/
    (And for Vega or Polaris these don't do VP9 video playback through the GPU hardware.)

13. =GGC=Phantomblu

=GGC=Phantomblu Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900XT
  14. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I never experienced the 'soft' black screen. It was always the catastrophic black screen for me.

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Insider driver (Release ones for this particular version number are 26.xx so this must be the WDDM 2.7 fast-ring ones alternatively 19.50.x versus 20.10.x for these.) plus the various ongoing game specific problems with the Call of Duty game which I think the latest patch fixed a few of these (Depth of field pixelated effect.) but this driver might not be ideal as a untested early beta from the start of April. (April 1st going by the INF file. April 21st for 20.4.2 as the latest release driver available.)

Problematic game especially for AMD for what I'm reading but also various game specific issues some of which have been patched and unless you absolutely need WDDM 2.7 support for well whatever AMD actually uses it for in these insider drivers I don't think going with them over 20.4.2 is a good idea. :)

As for recommendations there's a ton of fixes in 20.2.2 so if 20.4.2 doesn't work I'd try 20.3.1 or 20.4.1
    Hopefully it's just the insider driver being a early pre-release driver that is causing problems though coupled with some of the known game issues even if the studio (It's Beenox isn't it?) for the PC build has fixed some of them with the recent updates. :)

Other issues seem to be frequently running out of video memory although lowering stuff like the shadow cache settings or texture quality a notch might keep it within manageable amounts around 7 - 7.5 GB out of 8 at most. :)

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Up until 19.12.2 yeah pretty much the same experience, 19.7.5 worked too far as stability goes and 19.8.x was catastrophic but it took until Adrenaline 2020 for the card to be reasonable stable when using D3D or it would hard crash to black screen and just shut down.

20.2.x and on has resolved several of the remaining problems and many Adrenaline 2020 issues but more work remains, testing and overclocking and underclocking or undervolting gives pretty much the same results here and some D3D11 titles are incredibly finicky and will cause a GPU driver crash but at least the hard GPU shutdown issues have improved.
    (D3D9 seems stable at least, slow but stable although frequently prone to having the GPU downclock too much.)

Using overclocking including mixing in undervolting and even memory adjustments much as these can be very error prone (Silent error correction making testing more complicated at that.) and D3D12 or Vulkan instead of D3D11 just works though, DXVK handles just about anything for improving stability when it works and that it even gets close to doubling performance in some cases or more instead of lowering it just proves to me that these drivers at least for Navi GPU's just needs work primarily stability but this performance situation is also very close behind in just how bad the situation is even when it's not a system shutdown or other stability problems with the driver software.

EDIT: A lot of users also say the 19.12.1 drivers were really good just before the shift to Adrenaline 2020 and all that changed.

17. =GGC=Phantomblu

=GGC=Phantomblu Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900XT
    In fact, the driver 27.20.1002.34 is equivalent to April 20.10. However I have to tell you that I tried all the drivers you mentioned and I have to say that in my case I found myself better more with the 27.20.1002.34 ...... that with others, I also think that AMD's handling of the problems on these boards is not easy at all since doing a dxdiag does not appear anything as a detectable problem . This means that it is a problem of access in memory or something related to it ... I say mine but I'm not a technician .... it's just a thought and I hope the graphics card does not spoil for this ... seen the artifacts in the pictures I posted ... however now I was wandering around on the activision website and I found this :

https://support.activision.com/it/m...s/known-issues-in-call-of-duty-modern-warfare

it seems that they are managing the problems reported to support with seriousness and we hope they do soon because the community can't anymore .

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  18. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    For me 4 straight months of stability. Last black screen was with 19.12.2/3. Before that as you said the 19.8.x and catastrophic for me were the 19.9.x drivers. Those were just appalling. Still have Black screen PTSD from September. :p I do have all applications' hardware acceleration disabled. Maybe I will try to turn it on to test and torture myself. :D

19. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    So I enabled HW acceleration in Firefox, Discord and Steam since this morning. Watched some videos in Firefox, played some games with Discord and Steam open. No problem.

Few minutes ago I went to watch an embedded youtube video in Firefox, clicked on the Fullscreen button and bam. ~PTSD intensifies~ :p Black screen and system freeze. Back to HW acceleration off and I am not touching it again as long as I have an AMD GPU. In any case I don't need it as long as I don't try to play 8K videos.

Jackalito, Alessio1989 and HD64G like this.
  20. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    When you type:
    about:crashes in firefox address bar what does it show?