AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    It also kinda goes against what Hilbert was saying earlier and gave warnings about.....

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    There a little button that says Ignore. Use it freely as needed.

3. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Hardware Unboxed confirms no support is coming for older boards. They spoke with AMD and got clarification there WILL NOT be some boards that work with Zen 3 and some that don't. ONLY X570 and B550 for Zen 3. So that ends that speculation.

The comment section of this video has A LOT of angry AMD owners. But they are just Intel fans in disguise, right? lol

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I also smell flying bacon.

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They will update, probably it will one of the first. As it was for the top-range x370 of ASUS (C6H and C6HE): 16MB of BIOS ROM, full of features and 3d party chipset (which means additional firmware to be stored inside), no problem to update AGESA without cutting features.

6. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Yes, X570 boards will be fine. Even with the smaller BIOS, which is interesting.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes, board manufacturers would have every incentive to limit CPU compatibility. Going with a large BIOS is a consumer-friendly move, not a business-friendly one. If AMD had mandated a large BIOS they would have most likely turned them down.

I guess I would be one of those parasites, being an AMD shareholder. :eek: Note that stocks make up a significant portion of people's retirement savings so we are all "parasites" in that sense - unless you don't own any mutual funds or stocks in your retirement portfolio. Bonds are no better as you are giving money to the government, yet more parasites, and cash loses value over time. Pick your poison.

That's because it won't be compatible with previous chips. Even a small BIOS can handle two generations of processors - it only becomes a problem when you need to extend it to three or four generations.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´m one of those. I would love to have the option to replace my 7600K for a 8600/9600k or even a 9700K, since my MB is more than enough for my needs, but Intel decided to release another socket only to pocket a few more millions, greedy bastards!

9. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I have a x570 mobo and I'm not planning to upgrade my CPU anytime soon, but that's not a good news. If it is possible it should be done.
    We as customers should go after every company that behaves unfriendly to our pockets.
    I hope this issue end up the same way as Ryzen 3k launch, you know, most of the boards now support Ryzen 3k.

10. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    AMD promised AM4 compatibility until 2020. So they are doing absoutely fine.

+As far as I remember, there are some (or many?) B350 and X370 motherboards that support Zen 2 CPUs, so it will be absolutely possible that there will be B450 and X470 mobos that will be compatible with the Zen 3 CPUs.

11. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Zen 3 is coming out this year.....

And no, it isn't possible, watch the Hardware Unboxed video. Only X570/B550 for Zen 3.

12. Sori Pop222

Sori Pop222 Guest

GPU:
    rx 580
    well they said support will end in 2020 well its 2020 so

13. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    ZEN 3 IS COMING OUT IN 2020. lol

14. Sori Pop222

Sori Pop222 Guest

GPU:
    rx 580
  15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I suspect some of the X370 and X470 motherboards will get BIOS updates for Zen3 regardless of AMD's stance. Albeit its likely going to be limited models were its easy to do because the BIOS ROM is large enough and the board is high end enough for VRM's etc.

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    True but if Zen3 was not AM4 say it was AM5 what AMD said would still be true. This is the last year for AM4 so I don't see splitting hairs matters.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @jwb1 If you are so offended by AMD's CPU division products, just do not buy AMD's CPUs. If you have problem with AMD's GPUs, just do not buy them.
    If you dislike AMD as company for some reason, just do not buy any of their products.

Same way as I do not like nVidia. I do acknowledge that they make good technology, but I boycott company.
    Same way as I do not buy intel, unless their product is much better than AMD's alternative. (Which has not happen for quite some years.)

But there is no reason to hate on everything. Because we are what we do.

18. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    How will they do that when according to Hardware Unboxed AMD will not be providing what the mobo makers need?

Unless AMD changes their position, the mobo makers can't do anything.

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    As a x370 owner i'm happy to have an upgrade path up to 3900x which is better than my past Intel computer where the only upgrade path was to overpay for a used i7 cpu of the same era as my i5 cpu (i.e. not worth it).

20. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Which is fine nobody thought AMD would support the 1st or 1st+ gen motherboard for 10 years. The bad part is people who bought 1st+ gen motherboard to go with their brand new Zen 2 cpu (b450 max mb for example). For those people yeah it sucks a lot and AMD should have said when they released Zen 2 that 1st and 1st+ gen motherboard would not be supported by Zen 3 and b550 should have be ready day 1 too. That's a big misstep but trying to paint it as not better than releasing a new socket for no reason is stretching it a lot.

olymind1 likes this.