AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans To Support X470, B450, X370 Chipsets

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2020/05/07/the-exciting-future-of-amd-socket-am4

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/r...atibility-with-x570-b550not-400-or-lower.html

Hardware Unboxed confirms no support is coming for older boards. They spoke with AMD and got clarification there WILL NOT be some boards that work with Zen 3 and some that don't. ONLY X570 and B550 for Zen 3. So that ends that speculation.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Well I don't think they ever said specifically that older chipsets would support new chips. There was some worry back when Zen 2 came out that we wouldn't get old board support as I recall it.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    AMD promised socket and chipset compatibility up to Zen2, which is already 2 generations more than anything Intel, so your little stunt here backfired.

Besides haven't you been warned by mods to stop spamming anti AMD crap?

You're pro-Intel, fine. No one cares.

Dragam1337, Keitosha, Solfaur and 4 others like this.
  4. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    He just can't understand how AMD supported 1xx, 2xx and 3xx Ryzen on the same socket and through 3 chipsets.

5. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    And now all a sudden can't, even though the PINS are the same. At least Intel makes you "upgrade" your mobo because there IS PIN differences. You know very well people who bought would have assumed Zen 3 would work in their AM4 mobo, etc based on HISTORY.

The hypocrisy from AMD fanboy's is hilarious.

Their long support for AM4 in the Ryzen series was one the main things you guys all had "gotcha Intel" statements about.

And AMD also very well probably knew this early on but never said anything until now, after a bunch of X470, X370, and other mobos were sold.

Tell that to the AMD guys around here who also love to jump into every Intel thread. I'm literally reporting facts and news from their website. You just don't like it.

X470 is now considered "old"? But AM4 was suppose to be this holy grail of support. Pretty sure it was understood Zen 3 would work on more than just X570 & B550.

So what you are saying is at worst and its acceptable that the original marketing was deceptive.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    olymind1 likes this.
  6. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    From what i just read on amd site it basically let's it be at the motherboard makers decision as they clearly say it needs a bit more bios memory so basically a bios for x370 thats drops supports for 1st and 2nd gen ryzen and keeps only 3k and 4k compatibility it's possibile but it's gonna be at motherboards maker discretion if it wants or not, that's what i understood there so basically what you wrote is wrong.

7. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    That's an assumption. And I certainly wouldn't be happy as an X470 owner if I chose the wrong mobo that didn't get supported. So you are better off leaving them all unsupported.

8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79

What do you have to say about pins now ?

patteSatan, carnivore and Silva like this.
  9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    This is the last cpu for the AM4 socket. Socket compatibility requires number of pins to be the same or less. So really who cares about this last cpu being so much better. It is a swan song for AM4. Personally going to be skipping this offering and going for a gpu upgrade. This is more of a meh than anything else. Would be more interesting if a 6XX series chipset is offered and then the pattern is perfect...support for the latest and one generation back. It took forever for the X370 boards to get a decent bios for Zen2.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Double Post...deleted

11. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    We already know.... power and also PCIE 4.0 support on Rocket Lake on Z490 mobos. Basically all Z490 mobos, at least the high end ones support it for the next CPU.

12. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    What hypocrisy are you talking about ?
    Do you know for a fact that Ryzen 4xxx won't run on x470 chipsets ? Do you know why?
    I can answer both with a No! Since we don't know if or why.

Would I have liked Ryzen 4xxx to run on my X470, yes I would.
    But seeing as I'm also planning to update my GPU when Ryzen 4xxx comes out I would most likely
    have been forced to buy some X6xx board anyway, since X470 doesn't support PCIe 4.0. Neither does the 550 chipset on the GPU side.

patteSatan likes this.
  13. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Well you can see the difference in msi bioses let's say which we are on the day with them and look at some asus that are still stuck on abba bios .... so like i said if they would want to they could support it but only if they want it.

14. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    That's not the point he is making. In short he doesn't understand the need for 49 extra pins and a new socket.

15. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Um, the fact that people here are thinking this isn't news or a big aboutface. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  16. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    As much as I respect him, he doesn't know EVERYTHING or does he know what Intel's plans are. You wouldn't add pins for nothing.

17. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    So you don't know. Since you don't know everything and you don't know what AMD's plans are.

18. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    You are right, I don't know the future. I'm sorry. And neither does der8auer. :rolleyes:

19. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    You really don't see it? You are defending Intel for the very same thing you criticize AMD for.
    On top of that you say you understand Intel, but at the same time call AMD users for hypocrites.

20. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Does Intel do marketing or make claims about how their CPUs will work for a certain period of time in chipsets? They don't go out there saying we are amazing our CPUS work in X mobo chipset, X2 mobo chipset, X3 mobo chipset, X4 mobo chipset, etc. Nope. We know what to expect from Intel in this regard. Does AMD? They sure damn hell do. And AMD fans push that narrative ALL the time. This is an aboutface for AMD. Don't try and twist this around. You know very well people on AM4, especially X470 were of the understanding the next Zen 3 processor coming out this year would be drop in compatible (with a new BIOS update). It was literally used by them and fans as a selling point.

olymind1 likes this.
  21. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    The image you added in your post is an opinion, not a fact.
    If I'm wrong, show me where AMD said old chipsets would support new chips? What people assume and what AMD promise are not one and the same.