NVIDIA Ampere rumored to get four times more Ray-Tracing perf, no more GTX either

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Please don't cost an arm and a leg, please don't cost an arm and a leg, lease don't cost an arm and a leg !

Really excited about this new generation !
    Perhaps finally something to upgrade to...

Maddness and DeskStar like this.
  3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Exactly my thoughts ! AND FOUR TO SIX TIME MORE EXPENSIVE :( ... .maybe I will settle with a 3060 or 3070 :( if the lady will let me !

4. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    If too expensive i will keep spending.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Doubt it will be such a massive leap. It all depends on what AMD will come up with.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not really originating from PCGamer but from Moores Law is Dead YT channel of which his video was posted here yesterday with a lot more juicy details.

7. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    Prepare for a hefty price increase

8. shamus21

shamus21 Member Guru

GPU:
    By the time they hit the stores the refresh will be due.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    3060 will beat 2080 super with raytracing enabled. Thats impressive but we are reaching that sad state of 500$ midrange gpus.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont know why people are automatically assuming there will be drastic price increases. Remember Nvidia is not selling heroin where people need to get their fix from the only dealer in existence. The new consoles, RDNA2, will also be around ready to take on disgruntled GPU users looking to get better value. Nvidia is a business where they have to contend with competition. Even without competition, I would think most gamers would just say no to silly prices and seek alternative ways to spend their time and money. Plus I think Nvidia also cares about having adequate market share that high prices dont end up squeezing them out.

Maddness and jbscotchman like this.

11. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    Nvidia has always offered products in the $200-$300 price range, Turing is no exception (GTX 16 series). Question is only how well these will perform.

12. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    don't care about RT I avoid below 100fps gameplay (required for no motion blur black frame insertion monitor/tv modes, yep some modern tvs do that too)
    but I do care about a better nvenc it makes video encoding crazy fast easily doubling or more your encoding fps
    also like said previously my 1080ti is used at 100% nowadays I wish I had something that wasn't over-used and running at max power all the time

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I have the 1080TI so i'm not in a need for an upgrade, might even skip GPU upgrade and just buy a console if prices and games are right.

Turing prices are complete blown out of proportion and with COVID-19 after effects, there is no possible way I'm going to spend more than $500 for a decent replacement.

14. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Please AMD, even if you do a 3 slot GPU, make a comparable high end gpu for much lower price.

15. eTheBlack

eTheBlack Active Member

GPU:
    GigaByte R9 280X W3X OC
    GPU running at 100% is a good thing. CPU running at 100% isnt. So I dont see a problem here.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No it didn't, this entire post is inaccurate.

It achieved raytraced reflections at half resolution, single bounce, with a really short falloff, the RT reflections were only some of the scene and the developers said they could accelerate the entire thing on Nvidia's RTX and plan on doing so:

https://www.cryengine.com/news/view...-ray-traced-reflections-in-cryengine-and-more

Video where they point out all the limitations with Cryengine implementation.

Also raytracing is not exclusive to Nvidia, RTX is simply an acceleration pipeline for DXR, RDNA 2 has it and will be compatible with all RTX games and vice versa.

Aura89, Maddness and Ricardo like this.
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    nVidia will use some of their high margins to compensate for the increased product cost in order to be competitive to AMD.

18. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    because:
    1) on same PP the price of the chip depends on the size the chip itself, so ampere will be bigger -> price will be higher
    2) we saw that price escalation with turing (gtx1060 200$ rtx2060 350$ or 1080ti 700$ 2080ti 1000$)
    3) no serious competition by AMD in enthusiast market
    4) nvidia is nvidia

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  19. undorich

undorich Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce Palit 1080
    for what do i need this if there are no games supporting it? and the only games supporting it are useless and sponsored by nivida what means more money spend on nothing, what also means more cost to the product. i still think its a big scam and absolutly usless for gamers. but nvidia is well know for this, remember the 16b vs 32b scam to discredit 3dfx ? for cartoon movie makers its a differnt story. they just need a reason to sell their overpriced cards and call it enthusiast, what a joke.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well, I'll say again.

Not long ago I saw some news saying next gen will bw at least 100$ cheaper and somewhat more in line with 1000 series.

All higher end will see a price cut, except xx60 series.

That said I doubt 3080ti will be more then 1000$.