TSMC retreives substantial orders from NVIDIA for 5nm and 7nm GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 5, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Noisiv likes this.
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    not going out and eating canned foods helped me spare the probable 3000$ that the 3080Ti will cost :( still buying one anyway
    my 1080Ti is getting 98% usage in most of the games I play that's not good insane heat generation in my case from a 300Watts videocard (117% power limit)
    as a car owner I also understand that driving at the rev limiter all the time is bad for fuel economy and performance (kinda like modern cpu/gpu if it gets hot it reduces performance to prevent damage)

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Let's be realistic here, $3000 is out of the question even if it's faster than Big Navi. Very few people will pay 3k for a GPU and the point with these GPUs is to sell them, which won't happen with an overaggressive price tag like the one you suggested.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    1.5 perhaps but above that even for a Ti model seems unreasonable, Titan perhaps if NVIDIA was to bring that back like a 3060, 3070, 3080 and then possible S or Ti variants with something like a 3080 Titan above the 3080 Ti or just a Ampere Titan.
    3080 or whatever format will be used for these or it's Ti should be plenty of performance already although I am expecting costs for graphics card to increase somewhat but not like we're back in 2016 - 2017 and the GPU miner rush was. Hopefully. :D

EDIT: 1500 is kinda stretching it already I suppose, Ti is popular but not some top 0.1% elite GPU but it entirely depends on what NVIDIA sets as the initial MSRP and then up from that depending on the GPU model and what the initial cards out will be, I'm assuming there's going to be at least a 3070 variant and a 3080 covering both the upper and mid high-end segment possibly a 3060 for more mid-range but it's all speculative.

As is the pricing, 800 - 1000 seems like it'd be very likely for the higher-end models but the big enthusiast cards like the Ti could be above that and well if they do a Titan that's going to be above that as something like a special product again.

Lower would be nice though but 600 - 700 seems pretty optimistic course I could be wrong and in this case that'd be good. :)
    (Ti's already in a bit of a price class of it's own sure but not quite that big of a leap.)

EDIT: Well there's the third party designs and all that, waterblock Kingpin model and other extremes but that's kinda a special case.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why not? There is 3,000$ cpus and dont forget they already have 3,000$ gpu for sale right now. Its nvidia we are talking about here.

7. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Haha the prices you guys talking about here :)

If they come with anything near that, its dead on arrival. Sorry to break it to you, but we are at the start of the biggest economy recession and lots of ppl will think really well if 1000 usd, 500 usd or 400 usd is something they are willing to dish at the uncertain times like that.

Ofc, if you save 3k usd just by doing nothing, than yea, get 3080ti... all 10 of you.

And I wish you that success, dont get me wrong, Im happy you have the money.

8. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    As long as this order does not effect the order that AMD already has in and is or will be producing, I am happy with this. :) If TSMC has "limited" capacity, Nvidia will either have to wait their turn or TSMC can open up more capacity. :)

9. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    The CPU's are special case and the GPU is a Titan RTX card.

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Hopefully nvidia won't kill it's customers with much higher up prices.... and it's a big LOL.

Won't pay more than $600 top for a decent 1080TI replacement card whenever it happens...

11. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Just let's...for the sake of sanity...not encourage a near-future world where a $3000 (or anywhere close to that) consumer-targeted GPU is ever regarded as acceptable. Please don't ever forget that Nvidia already raised that price bar with their RTX series, to such an extent that the long standing traditional price-to-performance metric was demolished.
    Of course, let's also...for the sake of sanity...hope that AMD (or any other) delivers a price blow to the monololy Nvidia clearly currently enjoys, particularly at that high end.

12. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I reckon from everything I read that the AMD CPU line should be just fine, regardless of how much Nvidia has ordered. They didn't just blindside TSMC with this, it's been a long time coming. Otherwise, Nvidia wouldn't be in a very good spot (nor AMD) if no one could produce the chips they need, when they need it.
    Right now, for the folks that DO have the money, will hoard that cash like no tomorrow - then you put it on stock when the market is down and stocks not worth much.
    You certainly wouldn't want to blow it on tech that depreciates as fast as a car. I have some long-term investments that aren't doing too well right now, though I wouldn't say bad. I can surely say they're doing a whole lot better than if I squandered it all on fancy PC parts like 1500$ video cards or 1000$ motherboards (that's really out of line for both). Maybe if we do get a recession or depression out of this, it'll bring these companies back into reality with pricing a bit as may the competition, as prices have gone a wee bit out of control.

ManofGod and DLG like this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I can see gpus becoming a special case as well, especially when it comes to nvidia. Remember the time when Titan cards ware 1,000$? We though that was so expensive. :)

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Pro Tip, stay at 1080p or 1440p @ 60 FPS so you only have to a buy a 3060/3070.

No need for a $1500-1800 GPU to have a good experience.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm starting to get Amped!

barbacot likes this.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Same here :p, ever since I got my 3900X platform upgrade last year, in every modern game my 1080Ti sits at 98-99% usage, even see the "100%" in games like Shadow of Tomb Raider or Jedi Fallen Order. But yeah, g-sync and max eye candy @1440p does that to GPUs I guess.I like that I can squeeze it so hard over 3 years after purchase, OCed since day 1 too. But yeah, it does feel a bit like driving over the speed limit 24/7, lol.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Because they won't sell! The 3k CPUs are not mainstream, neither are the Titan cards but the 2080Ti is still considered a mainstream card, although high-end. And once again, let's not forget about the competition.

18. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    With all this quarantine going on i haven't been at work in 6 weeks looks like my 1080 will have to last till the 4000 series maybe performance for dollar will have gone up by then.

HybOj likes this.
  19. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I really think they need to get back to at least the 10xx series price performance or they are for a unpleasant surprise.
    And I see them rushing already... because they know the recession has a delay and some ppl do not really realize what will the next year look like yet, and they need to capitalize on that ignorance fast.

Solfaur likes this.
  20. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    Digitimes report

Focus of GTC'2020 online conference on 5/14 will be around AI, HPC, data science, autonomous machines, healthcare, and recent advances in graphics technology. Jensen Huang will unveil Nvidia's next-gen Ampere's architecture and discuss the future outlook. (no dgpu?)

Due to uncertainties surrounding Covid-19, Ampere which was originally scheduled for Q3'20 launch may experience slight delays. (end of 2020-beginning of 21?)

Due to the high cost of advanced nodes, and the desire to have a second source for risk diversification, Nvidia may use the higher-cost, but better-yielding TSMC 7nm EUV process for its mid-to-high-end products, while part of the lower volume, mid-to-low end products will use Samsung's aggressively priced 7nm EUV and 8nm processes. (very high prices?)

According to the story, even the Samsung 7nm/8nm process is an EUV based one but is much much lower cost (but has lower yields than TSMC's).(very high prices?)

Worth noting, Nvidia previously underestimated the effect of AMD embracing TSMC, and made some errors in its own plans for migrating to advanced nodes. Moving to Samsung and wavering in its TSMC strategy, only to go back to TSMC later, Nvidia was unable to secure enough 7nm capacity, resulting in AMD grabbing the limelight, eroding Nvidia's brand value, and increasing its own market share for GPUs. (unable to secure enough 7nm capacity?)

As the costs for advanced nodes began skyrocketing, there have been rumors that Nvidia and others frequently leaked news about their intention to increase Samsung's share of orders, to pressure TSMC into lowering prices. However, thanks to its absolute leadership position and demand exceeding supply, TSMC did not budge. (OUCH NVIDIA)

According to the story, even the Samsung 7nm/8nm process is an EUV based one but is much much lower cost (but has lower yields than TSMC's).

Also "The industry expects monthly capacity to reach 110,000 wafers in 1H'2020. The top 5 customers by order proportion are: Apple, HiSilicon, Qualcomm, AMD, and Mediatek."