Intel Announces Its 10th Generation Core Processors "Comet Lake-S" (with flagship Core i9-10900K)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A processor series that has been discussed here many times over the past few months is Intel's Comet Lake-S series for desktop. Today Intel is announcing the new product line, armed with Socket LGA1200 and Z490 motherboards the desktop range is wide, with the Core i9-10900K marketed as the fastest gaming processors your money can get you.

Read more

2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    1. There is no point to this series, Not with new socket, and not at those prices. if you are not someone who will get 10900K because you do this as part of your job or something, there is no point even looking at them.
    2. Intels 65W TDP is atrocious. At that TDP all core usage under reasonable load causes CPU to have all core boost last 2 seconds (does it matter if it's 60s? ) and then it downclocks hard to maintain 65W. So boost is a joke for all but single core. You can fix this via UEFI if you have Z series motherboard but still, why would they do this? It's a dick move, always has been.
    3. At this point, all CPUs from intel should be K.

Fox2232, EspHack and Kaarme like this.
  3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Seems rather pointless.

I get it, intel want to retake the crown with overblown TDP, overpriced motherboards and a new socket... so they didn't learn a thing(well maybe some price adjustments).

I see zero reasons to buy any intel cpu vs AMD cpu unless you need all that higher FPS in 1080P.

EspHack, DesGaizu, chispy and 4 others like this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I wonder how beefy cooling you need to keep the all-core turbo that high with 10 cores. Maybe the ozone destroying industrial cooler Intel previously used in a demo?

This would make far more sense if it had PCIe 4.0. Intel could have marketed that as the big difference, aside from the top model with 10 cores. Other than that, they did enable HT a lot more than previously. I reckon they fixed a whole bunch of the security holes related to it.

5. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    Price adjustments here are pretty substantial, and the 10900KF seems like a good alternative to people coming from either Zen 1 or 7700K or older.

Of course, if you have any of these I'd say wait until Zen 3 arrives later this year, since you have more than enough power until then, and also if you have Ryzen you should absolutely wait cause you might not even need to swap your motherboard, but still, there's some 0,01% of people to whom this new intel line might make sense.

To everyone else, though, just go with Ryzen. Cheaper, more power efficient - which also means better platform longevity, let's not forget - and more secure overall.

chispy likes this.
  6. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    "Future-proofing" for a gaming machine maybe? That seems like an angle someone might use to justify the 10900k over a 3800x.

I'm in the market for a new platform, but this doesn't look very appealing. I'm thinking I'll wait for Zen 3 later this year.

DLD likes this.
  7. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    At least the KF is cheaper than the K. put that $16 towards a new refrigerator.

8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Best bang for the bucks: i7 - 10700K

9. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Thanks to AMD Intel is slowly improving things. It's good to all of us.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    chispy likes this.
  10. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Intel is giving you more cores for the same price as last time in the high end, discounts in the others, and improving overclocking and thermals. And the cheaper CPUs are getting Hyperthreading. All things people were critical of, but yup it is never good enough for the AMD fanboys.

If you want the best gaming CPU and have fun overclocking, Intel. If you want to save your pennies and get more mainstream cores that you probably won't use outside Cinebench, go AMD. Zen3 this year could be interesting, but only if they are able to finally reach Intel in gaming or surpass them. And actually make their CPUs fun to play with in overclocking.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020

11. stickem

stickem Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4G
    I'm sorry, but Intel is really reaching the bottom of the barrel with Comet Lake...….I need an Intel product that screams at me before I upgrade my 8700k (which I am running at 5ghz all cores). Intel needs to step up to AMD better than this because this is probably the most pathetic release I've seen from Intel. They need to focus their efforts on releasing 10nm or 7nm products and not this patch work series.

chispy likes this.
  12. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    AMD blind fanboyism and hypocrisy is reaching new heights. When AMD GPUs have higher TDP than Nvidia, AMD fanboys be like "hey bro it doesn't matter, it only costs like 8 euros more per year to run it, difference is negligible, buy AMD!"

When Intel CPUs have higher TDP than AMD suddenly AMD fanboys become hyper enviro-conscious Greta Thurnbergs "omg end of the world, pointless, house heater, waah waah"

You know what? That's why Noctua NH-D15 and similar CPU cooler were invented. I never ever had any temp issues with 9900K. It seems the only people who have high temps and heating and power usage problem with Intel CPUs are AMD fanboys who don't own Intel CPUs :confused:

13. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    I'm in love with the I3 10100, just hope they don' bother us again with such spectre and meltdown attacks ect, :):rolleyes:o_O

14. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    TDP doesn't matter anyway in both Intel and AMD. A true enthusiast doesn't care. Both Intel and AMD only provide that number as a base spec cause they have to. Both go over.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I care about performance, which is why I go with AMD. My CPU is always at full load on all cores so strong multicore performance is my standard.

That's because Intel TDPs are wildly misleading - you can have a CPU rated for 95W but actually does 140W in practice. AMD's TDP figures are very accurate and rare go over specs. Intel is outright lying with their TDP.

carnivore, jura11 and chispy like this.

16. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    It's not good enough simply because it isn't good enough. No need to be a fanboy to see that.

It's far more apologetic to say "hey, they finally did what people were asking for 5+ years ago", when AMD has been doing it for what, 3 years now? Good catch up! Next you'll probably say that intel finally doubled the number of cores on their mainstream line, when, again, that was done a long time ago by AMD.

So yeah, sorry for not seeing intel in a good light here, simply because they're doing a slow catch up game. Better late than never, I guess.

Fun overclocking a CPU with stock TDP of 125W? Sorry, I'm not a firefighter, so I can't see any fun in that. And this thermal velocity looks a lot like what AMD is already doing: pushing the CPU to the max, so no headroom for manual overclocking.

Also, Intel is literally squeezing as many cores as they can in these CPUs, so I guess they also care about Cinebench? Or maybe they are aware that next gen consoles will absolutely drive games to use more cores and a 6-core i5 or even a 8-core i7 without HT will not cut it with high-end configs?

You seem pretty out of touch.

17. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Dont forget you Zen 2 or 3 will fit in the same AM4 slot can your intel do that? oh no you need another dead end board to make these chips work

jura11 and chispy like this.
  18. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090

I dont get folks like yourself, nothing personal but AMD has kicked Intels ass since Zen1 ok a few FPS in some games and mostly at 1080 yet in all other areas they are superior they use less power, run cooler have better features and dont have the huge numbers of security issues, they have stuck with the same AM4 since launch and will still use AM4 on the next Zen3 chip but still you want to wait to change systems, what next "oh am going to wait for Zen4" cmon guys AMD has done the job intel will catch up eventually but it wont be for a few years if it was not for AMD you would still be paying with a kidney for a 4 core CPU I think they deserve some of your respect and support.

chispy, WalterDasTrevas and bernek like this.
  19. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090

well said its time the blinkers came off

chispy likes this.
  20. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Best gaming processor - just lol for intel they lost it hard ... they were kings now their peasants selling 65W (cough couch) that never boost more than 1 second to keep that power consumption :D

This my friends is the perfect example why you should invest in research and your business to make even better products ! AMD was working all these years and Intel was changing sockets just to annoy customers and launch products with mild performance increase over the earlier generation and selling them at sky high prices now they cant even make a 7nm chip ... so hilarious to watch. I know they will somehow need to make some improvements otherwise in a few years AMD will turn into Intel on the market and we will suffer again.

I understand people that buy Intel for Hackintosh or some weird projects like 200 fps gaming tho ...