“The New Age of Gaming”

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Reaperzx3, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Reaperzx3

Reaperzx3 Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    I’m worried about where video games are currently headed. To be more specific, I am talking about the practice of selling broken games for full price, then patching them after initial backlash. An example of this that hurt me the most was the release of Fallout 76. While I haven’t bought it, I enjoy Bethesda games, having played Oblivion, Skyrim, and even ESO (that also had rough release). The release of Fallout 76 especially hurt because it worries me about the direction Bethesda will take with its upcoming TES installment. When it eventually comes out, will it turn out as a Day-1 mess? Will its release be so horrific that no number of patches or free DLC could redeem it? I can only see a future where notable developers like Bethesda follow the same archaic path in an evolving market that demands both quality and change.

Kolt, vestibule and Serotonin like this.
  2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    If it says Bethesda Game Studios on the box, it will be a mess. And modders will fix it.
    It's as certain as time passing.

anxious_f0x, Kolt and cerebus23 like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Don't buy online crap, and eventually the chance of a proper SP title emerging will increase. Don't preorder and wait a few days after launch to see how bugs come along. That's the most sensible way to approach any game buy these days...

Kolt likes this.
  4. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    "The New Age of Gaming", he says, as if this post couldn't have been made twenty years ago. :p

cerebus23 likes this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The Old Age of gaming is Dead.

Unlock the New Age of gaming for $5.99

Kolt, Serotonin, fantaskarsef and 2 others like this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I for one like the fact games get major patches after release. I don't mind buying into an early access game when I have the belief that the developer will get it right. Also, this helps them to carry on working on the title I want to play.

I remember when games would release back in the day, say in the 90s, they would be far from bug free and they would rarely get a patch that came on a magazine floppy disk or CD. I buy games from developers I believe in and games I know are the genre I'll enjoy. Assetto Corsa Competizione is a recent example. The game is getting better and better. There's many other games that got a lot better after release, The Division is another one of those and it was all due to work after release.

Fallout 76 is obviously a turd but anyone who bought that game only has themselves to blame, Fallout games have been utter garbage after Fallout 2, NV was ok but far from great. Fallout 4 being a big dose of "nope" should have been the warning sign.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Hey it's this thread again... only with a new name. :)

Sorry, but this comes up all the time.
    And really, anyone could've looked at Fallout 76 and saw it was going to be a mess. The fact that Todd shuffled it over to an untested, freshly restructured and renamed studio instead of working on it with his team...
    Should've said a lot

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Honestly you could've seen Fallout76 turning out to be a train wreck from 50 miles away - comparing those announcements ('16 times the detail') and how the beta played. To me personally even FO4 was a joke, with the fps tied to the actual ingame speed and other stuff. Abs pathetic.

At this point you have to question pretty much everything Todd announces. Therefore i'd say the next TES is 10 years away and hopefully Todd has been replaced by someone who knows a new engine was needed 10 years ago.

9. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It's been like this forever or really since the time games became major industry with big publishers and big money in it. Simply do it like everyone with common sense and just don't preorder anything. There is no point to it anyway, you will not get any benefit out of it and you will see right on release whether you like a game or not, as there is always a ton of gameplay available.

The Fallout76 looked like absolute trainwreck from the time of the first announcement. Although I would argue that all of the Bethesda games are kinda crappy with a lot of bugs and they just rely on community to mod it and fix everything they couldn't be bothered doing themselves. I really wonder how much longer will this last, but I'm definitely not buying the next TES if it's still on that 20 year old gamebryo engine.

GarrettL likes this.
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Although with 76 they cannot rely on the community like they have in the past, they actually have to do it themselves.

11. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, and we can see the result. Although I kinda liked it, it was really funny to watch Fallout76, like a trainwreck in slow motion and you didn't even had to buy the game.

KissSh0t likes this.
  12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i think i made a thread like this with a different name xd

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Can we blame publishers though? If we the consumer buy the cr*p they sell then they will continue to sell us cr*p.

Here's the question if you're one of the folk who demanded the publisher fix

- No Man's Sky
    - Aliens CM
    - Destiny
    - FO76

why did you not wait? I am not talking waiting; a month, a week or even a day. Literally hours after a game launch you will be able to find out weather a game is a; buggy, boring, broken mess at which point you can then make an informed choice on weather to buy the game.

If you buy the game

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    It's easy to preorder and then refund if you don't like it. I preorder games where I trust the developer. I have had a good experience with their games and I want them to continue produce games I like. Sometimes you get burnt, sure, but even then, if you know the dev/publisher well enough, more often then not they fix the issues and improve the game. Perfect recent example would be The Division, the game turned from turd to an absolute classic, one of my most favourite games.

It's also about the genre you enjoy. You might enjoy playing racing sims or RTS games. There's not that many of those coming out so the niche consumer will buy all of the titles in these genres. I also enjoy ARPGs and honestly, other than the mess that was Wolcen, I purchased every single one of them. Some of them not as good as others but there's not enough of these games. You like some more than others and you'll play some for other reasons than the others.

Thinking about it, this applies to games with endless replay-ability. Sim racing, ARPGs, MMOs etc. Not some single player story driven games because those you beat in say 30 hours and then you're done with them.

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Now that I'm older and have more patience I've learned to wait for games. Most at least. If you wait a year, for a GOY edition or whatever they label it, you usually get a $59.99 game for $39.99 with all DLC added in for one price. And usually by then, all the bugs are worked out. If I didn't start doing this I would have left the hobby. It's still disgusting that PC gets very little love from developers in comparison to console when PC has shown profitability for years now, but the piracy stigma has never gone away.

Kolt likes this.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I cannot wait even though im older i still want to get cyberpunk 2077 first day

Serotonin and Kolt like this.
  17. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    There can be exceptions.. Cyberpunk I'd say is definitely one of them.

Serotonin and ramthegamer like this.
  18. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4080 S
    At least in the old days we could download a patch from whatever server we wanted.
    Nowadays, we're stuck with all these seperate game clients and platforms.

cerebus23 likes this.
  19. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I miss server browsers and the communities that games actually had because of them. Back in the day my friends and I would either have our own server or we would favorite servers that we liked which led to playing with other regulars which created a lot of friendships.

Nowadays online (PC) gaming is so... random and anonymous. That's not exactly a 'bad' thing, depending on how you look at it, but to me it feels like the community is gone and so is part of the charm. The lack of custom servers has also increased the amount of unavoidable obvious cheaters and trolls. We used to have servers with admins that would remove some of this. On the flip side, we also had childish admins that kicked/banned you for "cheating" because you keep killing them.

Another complaint is how some games are moving away from custom files and are eyeballing ways to monetize mods and custom work. Bethesda. Custom files, modifications, etc are a staple to PC gaming. If the game is offline I should be able to do whatever the heck I want to it. Certain restrictive DRM, "Creation Club", UWP (Microsoft Store), Stadia/game streaming, etc are all things I personally despise because they move away from that open concept. There are too many games where something as simple and yet important like FOV adjustments are required to have the game feeling right. There are thousands of games I wouldn't be able to enjoy if it wasn't for modifications.

To me these kind of changes are some of the most egregious because we are literally having choice and power being taken away from us. Then of course you have games being released broken and that whole garbage concept of 'Liiiiiiive Services' to throw on top of that.

I'll also note.. where are the real tactical shooters of the past? Ghost Recon IS NOT GHOST RECON ANYMORE. I'm looking forward to Ready or Not, but it's really sad to see the tactical shooter genre be completely ignored by the AAA market. All hero shooter crap that I personally can't stand. Even Rainbow Six Siege... the Terrorist CoOp in that is a complete side item and the PVP is nothing more than a glorified Overwatch game with real pew pew weapons.

Chess likes this.