Intel Revenue reports High Q1 Revenue Boosted by Data Center and PC Businesses

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    this is just sad. shady company still having huge profits

3. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    You fit the profile nicely.

carnivore likes this.
  4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I also hit the profile nicely. Before Ryzen came, I have not heard of cinebench, like most of you. But I still don't care for it. I couldn't find a use for more than 6 cores in casual desktop PC if you put a gun to my head.

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    You don't even know what I mean and yet you claim to fit the profile.

So you don't know what ...
    • compiling is?
    • editing video is?
    • doing the above at the same time?
    • editing photos is?
    • applying warp stabilizing to 4k video?
    • While publishing said video?
    • playing a game while streaming in High Quality?
    • using office while you encode some videos in handbrake?
    • using cryptography apps while compressing data to upload?
    • running multiple WM's concurrently.?
    • streaming media while transcoding it?
    While writing this I'm up scaling something with Topaz video AI while I'm also de-noising
    1300 pictures from a phone. I could get a Core 2 duo but I would like to be done sometime
    today. I could go on. But most people do more and more at the same time simply because we can
    and because a lot of things are being done online in real time. Having a CPU like Ryzen with
    it's phenomenal multitasking capabilities is a H U G E plus.
    Sure you can do all that with 6 core, but you can do it even better with 12 or 16.

reix2x likes this.
  6. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Enjoy Intel until its possible... next years will be dark

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I don't do any of the above. I'm pretty certain that the majority of people on here are gamers.

To be honest, I can write this while watching a YouTube video, hell, I could even be upscaling something in Topaz and I could be denoising 2000 pics from my phone while I'm writing this. Having 8c/16t would save me a few minutes. Cool, I don't really care.

And I definitely don't have to stream at any quality while I'm gaming. Why would I feel the need to show my gaming to the world? Not a narcissist, sorry.

At the end of the day, why not just let people decide what they want to buy? For best outright gaming performance, Intel is still king. And if that's all someone want, why trying to convert them into some upscaling/encoding studio?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    gx-x likes this.
  8. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    brah, nah. who the hell does that? And how were they doing that before ryzen? ;)

I doubt you do any of that, having 1080ti and all, you probably do the same as I do, browse, watch YT or something and game.

9. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Every user has different needs, some people really need those 5+ fps so they can archive their gaming goals, for me it is just absurd to buy less for more money, but it is OK that you buy a product based on your needs.

I think that when you choose not to buy Intel products you are seeing in the future, a best-balanced pc world, where all companies will have real competition and the need to innovate. Right now we have this huge intel that can choose just to rebrand a product and launch it as uninnovative as it is, because they will sell it anyway without even the need of reducing prices.

I really can't wait for more RISC-V CPUs and widows or whatever to use them, this whole x86/AMD64 licensing nonsense has the whole PC world on a stone age.

10. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    I personally can't see 99.9% of people needing > 6 cores, but I don't think that why intel is doing well. I guess it's AMD just can't make enough cpu's. In a buoyant market AMD can sell everything they make and Intel will still be able to sell more then ever.

gx-x likes this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But the ones that do are cinebench players? Lol.

Can one of you people, for once, just write a normal argument?

carnivore likes this.
  12. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Sure, everyone benefits from Ryzen. Mostly the people that don't really need >6/12 CPUs, but here they are, and intel lovers got intel to move again.

13. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Having a 1080Ti tells you nothing about me apart from that fact I own a 1080Ti.

Some people actually makes a lot of money playing games, while streaming it. But I guess it's to modern for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2020
  14. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    very little people make a lot of money while steaming gaming.

15. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    More cores means more possibilities. Before Ryzen I also did most of what I wrote. I have for many years been using programs like 3D studio Max, LightWave, Blender and Premiere.
    Before Ryzen we were forced to use overpriced dual / quadcore CPU's because there were no competition. If you wanted > 4 core you had to pay half a million. But along comes Ryzen
    and suddenly it becomes clear how badly I was ripped off by overpriced intel products through the years. Just because you don't use you computer for anything doesn't mean others don't.

I never said anything about not buying certain products I reacted to the 6-core comment which is a clueless remark. Of course intel is going to try to convince people they don't need more than 4 cores, Since they cannot compete on core count atm.

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I was making a killing on LightWave animations back in 1998/2000 using, whatever was available then. There is a function "network rendering" I put 3 machines in LAN and did renders on all 3. You see, professionals are not limited to marketing.
    More possibilities, give me break, that's a pipedream, like american one.

edit: you should see this:

they are not using AMD. They are not using anything mainstream that most people cum at. They know better.
    The best thing is, they use game engine, they don't use any of the "oldschool" stuff like 3DSMax, Maya, this that...Real time baby ;) ain't no body has time to render.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I think for anyone buying their first PC right now, be it for gaming or whatever else, they would go with Ryzen. But I also think that there's a lot of people on 6700k, 7700k, 8700k and such CPUs that simply see no point in upgrading to Ryzen right now. I'm one of them. Hell, I was stoked for the 2xxx Ryzens, then I decided to pass, then I thought I'll definitely get a 3700x but again, I passed. And I'll probably pass on the 4xxx offerings too, unless they turn out to be a bit more of a step up than 2xxx > 3xxx was. I'm a gamer and for me there's no point in spend £500 on a CPU and motherboard to have the same performance.

Every time I see people building a first gaming rig, I suggest AMD, depending on budget it's mostly the 3600. It's a great CPU. But like I said, there's a lot of people still out there who are waiting for Ryzen (and Intel) to offer us a viable upgrade.

gx-x likes this.
  18. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Right. Sorry to bother you on a Friday.
    There are people who use office and then there are people like me who use all the programs in office and exchange
    data between them to complete work related tasks on huge datasets, both off and online. I'm sorry to burst your bubble
    but most people actually do more and more on their computer simply because the possibilities are endless.

Embra likes this.
  19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I would quite happily bet a lot of money on the fact that most people who use Office do so at work and use some low powered office PC to do that.

like... less than 1% of people who play games make a living from streaming on twitch.

You should upgrade to 32gb of ram bro.

gx-x likes this.
  20. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    1% is being too generous even if you said "1% of those who play games stream" .