Unknown PCI device with error / blue screens happening

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Floydsound, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    Hi, everyone.

I've been experiencing blue screens from time to time for about 15 days now, with the error messages “IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL” and “DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL”. It occurs simply out of nowehere, sometimes while only browsing.

As far as I know, my PC is COMPLETELY updated: BIOS, chipsets, Windows and drivers. Temperatures are also fine. Here's the system:

- Intel Core i7-8700 + Cooler Master Hyper 212X
    - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC ● 6GB
    - Corsair Vengeance LPX ● 16GB (2x8) ● DDR4 ● 2400MHz
    - Gigabyte B360M Aorus Gaming 3
    - Samsung 860 EVO ● 250GB
    - Seagate BarraCuda ● 2TB
    - Corsair TX650M
    - Windows 10 Pro x64

One thing I noted is that my device manager shows a PCI device with an error exclamation mark under "other devices". Picture with the hardware IDs below (the system is in portuguese):

[​IMG]

The only PCI device I have connected is the video card, which seems to be working fine.

I've tried uninstalling almost everything from the past 15 days, but the issue persists =/

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  2. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
  3. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    Yes, it's listed as "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060" without any error symbol.

But do you think the USB-C port driver could be the cause of the blue screens? After all, that's my main concern in this topic. The PCI device thing is just something I thought could be related to that.

Observation: I don't have any USB-C ports on my PC.

4. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Use bluscreenview and post screenshot. Try to uninstall that device, refresh and see if it comes back.

5. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    Could it be that using CCleaner erased the dump files? I see a "memory dump" checked on CCleaner. Bluescreenview shows nothing on the list =/
    Although I perfectly saw that the blue screens were all "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL"

I tried uninstalling the device and refreshing. It came back.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  7. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Most probably they were deleted by Ccleaner. With bluescreenview you might know which driver is causing the bluescreen.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Forget about that exclamation mark device. Yes that's USB-C which your card doesn't have. That's not the cause of your blue screens.
    Keep searching.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    iirc, controller devices require a driver for system S states to work correctly,

doesn't have the port, still has the controller and port manager.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    and this is relevant to his blue screen situation how?

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Faulty controller or card system management bus can crash system even without a driver installed.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    There are no indications that anything is wrong with his USB-C. The only reason for that exclamation sign is he did not load the driver which he doesn't need.

13. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    is ur cpu,ram overclocked?

14. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    No, everything is stock and with very good temperatures.

Really, the only thing I know about the blue screens are the error messages: "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL".

I've already ran memtest64 and Windows' memory tests too, but none of them showed any errors.

Where do I keep searching?

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Your soul, Net. This thread? Someone suggested bluescreenview.

"IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" is highly generic message; could be anything.

You said blue screens started 15 days ago. What happened 15 days ago? Was your rig more/less flawless before this started?

Can you restore your system to an earlier time? -> hit Windows Key+R, type rstrui, hit Enter etc.

Or...
    Lets assume your hw is fine, and the issue is sw. Fixing windows is a bitch. Much easier is just to reinstall windows on a spare partition, create one if you don't have.
    If everything is fine - your original windows are fukd, if not it's proly your hw. Either way you know more than you do know, and you proceed from there.

16. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    You can also check Event Viewer (just search for it in the start menu) and check for critical errors - however, just like with bluescreenview, if you've cleared all the logs away with CCleaner, the event logs will be gone too.

You might have to wait for the BSOD to occur again if you erased the logs...

17. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    I appreciate your replies, guys!
    Fortunatelly, it's been 3 days since the last blue screen.
    If it happens again, I'll post the logs here :)

18. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    Here's an interesting fact: I remember the first time the blue screen happened was when I was playing a game called Ibb & Obb with a friend on Steam.

I neglected it, because it's just a simple indie game. As I searched for programs installed since that day, though, I ended up uninstalling it too.

The blue screens stopped, but the game was only one of some things I did, so I didn't give it much atention.

Today I re-installed it to play with my friend again, and, voilà, BLUE SCREEN.

Here's the bluescreenview result:

042520-5593-01.dmp 25/04/2020 17:38:34 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000d1 fffff806`4fbc979e 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000008 fffff806`4fbc979e ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+1c2390 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1c2390 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042520-5593-01.dmp 12 15 18362 1.060.956 25/04/2020 17:39:19

I already uninstalled it again, obviously. But could the game be causing theses crashes even when I was not playing it? And is there something I can do about this "ntoskrnl.exe" file?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Floydsound

If you search for "ntoskrnl.exe+1c2390" you will see that that combination is very common for BSODs (but for a bunch of different bugchecks).
    The description of DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugcheck points specifically at drivers. I doubt indie game installed any drivers into Windows. May be it just "helps" to launch a glitch.

PS And ntoskrnl.exe is a part of Windows kernel.

20. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    Does this mean I remain helpless on this issue? =/

And I don't know what the Windows kernel is :oops: