NVIDIA GeForce Now Game Streaming Service Loses Xbox Game Studios and Warner Brothers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Recently I saw a statistic that demonstrated the most popular titles played on GeforceNow, top 10 didn't have any single player title it in. Most popular games were League of Legends / Fortnite / World of Tanks e.t.c.

And there's a lot of people that use this platform only to play those - so an exodus of major (greedy) publishers, doesn't really harm Nvidia. As they represented less than 10% of the constant growing player base.

What personally baffles me, is the greed of publishers. Let's say I purchase a game on steam - why I, as a consumer, can install it and play from any device I have that supports it, but the second I install it on GeforceNow - magically it doesn't count as I already have purchased the product in their eyes. As if they are somehow loosing out on it. Insanity. If buy a product - I own it, regardless of on which device I use it. Greedy silly buggers.

Backstabak, Keitosha and JonasBeckman like this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I doubt they are going to run out of leather jackets anytime soon

4. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    So, till date there are 14 studios/publishers which left GeForce Now
    • Take Two Interactive
    • Rockstar Games
    • Bethesda
    • 2K Games
    • Activision Blizzard
    • Capcom
    • EA
    • Konami
    • Remedy
    • Square Enix
    • Xbox Game Studios
    • Warner Brothers
    • Codemasters
    • Klei Entertainment
    Who will be next?

//EDIT: 14

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Not a problem, just more companies to add to the boycott list.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Boycott away, you may end up with nothing to play :D

sykozis likes this.
  7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I guess that means you're going to completely quit gaming then?

sykozis likes this.
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Yes.
    Because being able to play only Thirty of the top 40 games on Steam is equivalent of completely quitting gaming

Stormyandcold and cryohellinc like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Geforce no cant get a break.

JonasBeckman and moo100times like this.
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    He said he was going to boycot all companies that left Geforce Now, which is basically en entire Top 40?

11. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Potential renames:

Geforce was
    Geforce not now
    Geforce no va (Spanish for not working)

I will await my leather jacket in the mail

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Nope. Read the article. No more hand holding :)

13. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    The way steam/epic work by selling games upfront is very old fashioned. The industry tried free + micro-transactions and we all hate them. Hence we are going to go subscription for games. This way of selling is how pretty well all software as well as tv/movies are sold these days so if anything games are behind the curve.

Hence any big games firm is looking at setting up their own subscription service, and a premium part of that would be for them to provide a remote gaming service like geforce now. I'd expect all the big online games shops like steam/epic to embrace this eventually.

The problem is we end up with lots of different subscriptions and no one can be arsed with that, so I expect we'll end up with one or two big players and a situation like Amazon have for TV where you buy prime and that gets you amazon's core stuff, but you can buy add on's for eurosport, or manga, or whatever.

In that light geforce now feels a bit temporary. That said I wouldn't worry about Nvidia too much - they'll probably still be the ones providing the hardware or perhaps the whole remote gaming service to many of those companies.

14. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    "When GFN was in beta with non-commercial use all games from every video game company in GFN library were available. Now because of the new Nvidia's commercial business model and subscription plans, it is strictly prohibited by the law and industries have the right to remove their games as long as Nvidia gains profit from them. All fault is on NVIDIA and their bad business model."

If you guys see "Nvidia Geforce NOW License" on some steam games don't be so shocked. "Pay extra to stream our game on GFNow"...

15. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    This seems interesting. First of all, these games DON'T REQUIRE any good PC, you can easly buy an AMD FX/AMD HD 7xxx or R9 2xx and run these games even on high settings without a problem. So whoever have 50euro to spend on this, could easly save up in 2 month this amount and buy a PC for themself... and play for like 5 years, not just 2 month (with that money)

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    The point is - most of the people that play them, say school kids / people with potato laptops e.t.c. won't buy what you suggest. If GeforceNow allows them to play those games on their potato hardware at decent framerates, that's a win for them. Hence, the popularity.
    People like us that actually take time to understand hardware, let's say advanced users, are sadly - the minority in a world full of console players and uber casuals with potato laptops.
    One of my relatives is in situation like this - 57 year old guy, loves World of Tanks just for the sake of playing WW2 vehicles. He has old laptop, but GeforceNow makes it run really well, and he's happy. Will he spend cash on hardware? No. Does he even know how to build set hardware? No.

It's just convenient for people like that.

So for that reason I really don't get the publishers bailing out - if someone that was a non-customer before, now can be your customer, it really doesn't matter on which hardware he plays his product. So I think this will get a backlash on publishers sooner or later.

17. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yeah, I really don't get it. These companies make games. This product makes people want to buy their games, and it doesn't cost them a penny extra to have their games on it. Why would they want to purposely limit the reach of their sales?

I mean, I get Microsoft Game Studios - this is competing with their upcoming streaming service. But Warner? Or Bethesda? How does that make any sense? Ubisoft seems to be the only company with any brains in this operation, as I am sure that GF Now is helping fuel subs to UPlay Plus.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Look at it from this perspective. The more popular GeForce Now becomes, the more control NVidia can exert over game studios. Would you really want a 3rd party trying to control YOUR product?

19. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    why didn't they just say : you have no right to forbid us from leasing a computer to a customer
    if you do then all cloud services are illegal too and must end immediately
    end of discussion

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not all cloud services operate like GeForce Now....