Nvidia Control Panel -- Alternate Source?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Size_Mick, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    As you probably know, the newer driver installations by default are not including the control panel, which then requires you to get it from the Microsoft Store. Fortunately for smart people who browse Guru3D regularly, there are links to the old-style drivers. However, assuming these disappear one day soon, would anyone know how I could get the NV control panel from another source besides the Microsoft store? Because f*ck that sh1t. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... since when have the newer drivers not included the NV Control Panel?

3. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    Smarter people know you can still get the standard version from the nvidia site.

Smough likes this.
  4. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Yes, I pointed that out. What happens when they disappear?

5. cricket bones

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    I guess it will then cease to exist or be in use.

Smough likes this.
  6. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Are you here to troll? Because I'm getting some real troll vibes from you. If you didn't have anything useful to say, why did you bother to reply?

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    some "modified" drivers and or "clean" drivers have CP included for DCH drivers. Personal I still using Standard and will till Nvidia stupidly stops using them, I avoid the MS store like plague

Smough, bobblunderton and TheDeeGee like this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  9. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    BetA likes this.
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

11. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    You have the DCH driver i guess???
    Or may be you you have corrupted system files that omits starting up nv cpanel.......

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Open powershell as administrator

Paste:
    Get-AppxPackage -allusers | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

Click ENTER

Reboot

13. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    According to bio he is using Windows 7

14. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    OK no, I'm running Windows 10. I have the old style driver installed. But when I go to nvidia and use their driver search thingy, what they offer is the DCH driver. When I install it, it doesn't include the control panel, apparently. They tell me to get it from the Microsoft Store. If these DCH drivers become the ONLY drivers in the future, does that mean I will have to use the freaking Microsoft Store to get the control panel? That's my point, I was wondering if anyone knew of an alternate way of doing it that didn't invlove MS. I like the control panel, I just don't like the Windows App Store stuff. It may not be relevant now, but in future I would like to avoid it. I specifically have the App Store bits removed from my install.

Amaze likes this.
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This has annoyed me also.
    I am on Win7 and am not looking forward to the day I am forced to move to Win10.
    Made worse if I need to use the store.
    Alternative OS is looking better all the time.

16. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    I kinda understand what you're saying but I don't think it's such a big deal if you're already using Windows 10. Even calculator is updated via Windows store, if you're concerned about privacy just block most Microsoft IPs in your router or something. To answer you initial question, I highly doubt that UWP/native windows 10 apps will ever work without Windows store.

17. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    You don't need direct links. The drivers can be found on Nvidia's site, although they have made them awkward to access. On Nvidia's site you can go to Drivers->All Nvidia Drivers then scroll down and click BETA Drivers and archive. That will lead to the full driver page where you can select "Standard" under Windows Driver type when you search for the drivers.

That said, while Microsoft is pushing for DCH drivers, Nvidia will still have to offer drivers that work with Windows 10 that doesn't have the store for certain enviroments, so I doubt standard drivers will go away any time soon.

18. cricket bones

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW

When a thing disappears, it literally ceases to exist. If you think that is trolling, then I don't know what to tell you that will make things fuzzy and warm.

19. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I don't think it disappears as long as nVidia supports any non-DCH compatible Windows versions (Win8, older Win10 builds, etc). And by that time, people will forget they are supposed to hate the Store (me included but this just how these things work) and/or will be forced to use it for many other things, so the nVidia driver won't be your main issue when it comes to DCH and the Store.

20. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Never imagined i had to jump through hoops like this to get Nvidia control panel lol, 3 months away from nvidia and CP goes poof :D and i wonder why they point to windows store to get it....PoS store just reports error on download and says i already have it o.0 guess it is time for DDU and manual driver install while disconnected from internet...amazing in 2020