NVIDIA DirectX Ultimate Developer Preview Driver [450.82]

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Astyanax, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it should do since the next 445 hotfix will include a fix.

no, sorry. The drivers don't do this at all, this setting is basically illegal on Windows 8 and 10 and if the driver were turning this on it'd break all the users here, plus it would have failed whql - all 450 drivers so far have turned on appinit_dlls

455 or 460 for Ampere

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I've benched this driver out of interest on my 1909 install. It performs basically the same as the last GRD, with some minor gains in SOTTR with RT shadows and some significant gains in Youngblood with RT reflections.

The driver itself is fine but the installer is bugged: no NGX, no sharpening. Wouldn't recommend using it over the last GDR release.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This driver installs the NGXCore via the old method, once 450 is release for release it'll install it via display.driver like 445.87+

Sharpening is indeed bust.

4. Pepa1

Pepa1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I don't have the adaptive vsync option in the control panel. Any advice?

5. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    yup adaptive sync/half , fast sync are not present in nvcp . use nvidia inspector as workaround , you have to set "vertical sync tear control" to Adaptive and "Vertical Sync" to Force On

6. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I'm by no means an expert on WDDM 2.7, Win10 2004 and 450.82 drivers. But I was under the impression that one of the major benefits of WDDM 2.7 would be multi-monitor support with different refresh rates?

I've struggled with this for ages, especially when using G-Sync with Windowed Mode on for my primary monitor and having a secondary monitor with lower refresh rates. My primary is normally running 3440x1440@144Hz with G-Sync Unlimited enabled, and my secondary is running 3440x1440@100Hz with FreeSync/FreeSync2 disabled. Having FreeSync enabled and using G-Sync Compatible seemed to cause additional issues and considering the secondary monitor is mostly used for Outlook, Web-browser and video content I suppose I have no real benefit of FreeSync2 / G-Sync Compatible on it.

The best thing I can do is running 3440x1440@200Hz on my primary and 3440x1440@100Hz on my secondary with both G-Sync and FreeSync disabled. I suppose this is working better as this results in having a 2:1 pulling from 200Hz down to 100Hz?

As I'm running Win10 2004 with update 207 (19041.207), have a RTX 2080 Ti I decided to test out these 450.82 drivers to see if WDDM 2.7 would improve on this at all. So far it doesn't seem to really change anything? The behaviour is pretty much the exact same? And when using sites like https://www.displayhz.com/ etc web-browser running on the secondary monitor is still reporting the same refresh rates as the primary monitor so everything seems to have the same multi-monitor limitations as before where your secondary monitor is pretty much forced and locked to be the same refresh rate as your primary unless exclusive full-screen mode is involved?

Am I missing something here? I known Intel has provided WDDM 2.7 compatible drivers for a while so I could try to test with the on-board graphics of my Intel Core i9-9900K but my motherboard is only providing a single HDMI output so it's hard to connect my two Displayport monitors and test using the on-board graphics with what might seem like more mature WDDM 2.7 drivers.

Am I misunderstanding the upcoming benefits of WDDM 2.7 and multi-monitor support?

The biggest benefit I've seen from 450.82 thus far is the capability of running my primary monitor in HDR-mode and be able to modify the SDR brightness in Windows. This option seems to be lacking with 445.87 making me run with HDR displayed requiring me to run games with HDR support in exclusive full-screen mode in order for HDR to become available and apps like Netflix are incapable of running HDR etc.. Running in HDR-mode with 445.87 is not feasible as the default brightness for SDR is way too high.

As many others have noted these 450.82 drivers seem really unstable. My machine is freezing left and right when running these so I'm definitely rolling back. But as these are preview drivers meant for developers I didn't expect them to be stable I just wanted to see if my multi-monitor issues will be improving with WDDM 2.7 but I was left disappointed.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Unless it's some OS update for 19041.1 and newer (Windows 10 19600 what's it at 20H2 to-be.) then WDDM 2.7 itself seem to be primarily towards D3D12.2 / D3D12 "Ultimate" support so nothing about refresh rate changes or multi-display support.
    There's the hardware schedule option too but that seems entirely unrelated to this kind of thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model
    The actual MSDN documentation and further details from Microsoft might have better info when available though.

That GPU scheduling option also changes so I have no idea about what it's doing specifically, earlier the blurb about it mentioned improving video memory management and now it's just somehow raising minimum and average framerate so yeah. ~

EDIT: Ah DWM changes.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windo...lti-monitor-refresh-rates-right.454143.0.html

*Rest of article around here*

And then this video.

EDIT: Hmm so it is possibly related to memory management after all for the schedule thing.
    But doesn't D3D12 and Vulkan already improve control over this? Course running low causes framerate to tank but I don't see how better control over utilization would otherwise improve performance.
    (Memory leakages and such I suppose, poor caching and fragmentation and tons more no doubt and lots of stuff that can go wrong or are just sub-optimal.)

~~~ But then again some games are just kinda bonkered when it comes to using D3D9, D3D10 and D3D11 correctly and as expected and what not so here's low-level API Vulkan and D3D12 and full control and a whole new experience of coding problems and engine implementations that really should not be.

Despite structuring it up well when Microsoft laid down D3D11.x (And D3D10 before that.) it's pretty impressive just how wrong some D3D11 titles get API usage and certain functionality and without completely crashing other than destroying frame rate and frame time and goodbye smoothness and low latency. :p
    (Makes one curious just how deep some of the GPU driver workarounds and outright fixes actually are for un-aheming this and how poorly supported the titles are for not fixing it in patches but it is what it is.)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Dro1d01 likes this.
  8. xV_Slayer

xV_Slayer Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Well it did so I don't know what to tell you.

9. Pepa1

Pepa1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    So I better install driver 445.87 where everything is fine. This driver will go very fast from the computer :=(

10. Cygnific

Cygnific Member

GPU:
    2070S Gaming-X
    Same here, nvinitx.dll gets added to Appinit.

11. xV_Slayer

xV_Slayer Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    So @Astyanax you plan on calling me a liar again when I am not lying?

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Saying you're wrong based on what i know of the windows 8 and 10 requirements is not calling you a liar, its applying what i know and should be accurate based on certification process.

I see the same here, which i'll pass on to Manuel, this is an immediate certification failure.

Still curious is that you had such crashes because anyone who installed this now has this dll loaded in this way and there should theoretically be a widespread reproduction of the issue.

That said, there was also someone complaining about appinit on win10 awhilee back because they had crashes (that nobody else had.)

13. Covid19

Covid19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    hi..i have GTX 970 and on Win10 2004 RTM build not insider one version 19041.207 with this 450.82 STD driver but i dont see any Hardware Accelerated GPU options under settings/displays/graphics settings although it says shader model 6.5 for my sweet GTX970 in gpu-z and in wddm section Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling Off (not supported)..so why ?
    another interesting thing i see when i click system information in Nvidia CP under components section it says NVCUDA.DLL Unavailable wtf ? is also seen unavailable in gpu-z too.. but all necessary cuda files can be seen installed exact locations (system32 and syswow64)
    Does this GPU supports technically new tech H.A.G or will support later or what ?

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    2.7/450 drivers don't vsync the primary display based on content running on the secondary where the secondary is a slower screen.

The description of scheduling was by someone who has no idea what they are on about.

These drivers are quite stable, and i'm quite done playing nice with people who have chips from the edge of the wafer that have fringe stability issues. :cool:

15. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. These drivers aren’t any more or any less stable than the past few drivers I have installed so I am not sure what the issue could be in the rigs of those who are affected but it isn’t this driver....which again, is a developer preview driver not meant for general use.

16. Cygnific

Cygnific Member

GPU:
    2070S Gaming-X
    Forgot to mention that I dont have crashes in 20H1.

17. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Windows remote desktop from the Microsoft store has some extreme choppiness with these drivers, making the cursor choppy on the remote computer.

18. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    So we’re going with a huge font for what reason exactly? No such issues on my end. Sounds like it is something else, besides the drivers. I say this because you have complained about stuttering frames with a few drivers if I remember correctly. If possible, please use common sense as well, you are beyond annoying. THE DRIVER YOU ARE USING IS A DAMN PREVIEW DRIVER FOR DEVELOPERS!!!!!! There are bound to be issues, personally I have yet to experience anything worth mentioning but that is my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with this driver. For what it’s worth, you don’t seem to retain information given to you that well, at least that’s how it seems based on your constant posts to things that have already been addressed, so the last thing you should be doing is tinkering with Insider builds of Windows and Developer preview drivers.

zig11727 likes this.
  19. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I reported his post and asked for an account ban. May be you should all do the same, that might achieves the expected result instead of further pollution of these topics.

Indy, Blackfyre and d0gs0n4c1d like this.
  20. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    Just do what I did a week ago -- put him on ignore. He can post all he wants, but you won't have to see it. He's an obvious troll and I have no clue why it's being allowed.