1988 Official recipe for school pizza and taco salad

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Vibe, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    The only two popular items at school when I was growing up. Thought some might find them fun to make while in quarantine.

*edit trying this again. Guess I can't upload them all but the pizza recipe is the only important one anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ouch ... again I like to reiterate that some image hosting providers have been censored, as they inject spam links alongside the images you upload. You can just use the upload function here on Guru3D buddy.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    School Pizza sounds mysterious but I guess it's mostly from the comparably low cost school food here had although the food wasn't bad for what it was. :D
    Been looking up old recipes but I'm still much too inexperienced to recreate the actual meals though the desserts are at least going better.

Then again part of that is due to gravitating towards the 1970's experiments and unique dishes, small wonder the 1980's microwave instant food made such a breakthrough after some of those culinary creations.
    ("Just do it like this.")

EDIT: Hmm wonder if thick or thin bottom was the popular pizza path in the 1980's, thick ones can be good but I usually prefer the thin bottom ones.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    School pizza eh? And people wonder how kids got so fat :D

5. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    My school's pizza at one point in the early '80s consisted of toasted white bread and canned tomato sauce topped with a light dusting of grated parmesan cheese. Later they upgraded to toasted french bread and canned tomato sauce topped with a light dusting of grated parmesan cheese.

Folks, you have to remember back in the '80s in the US they were cutting back on assistance programs and public school funding wherever they could (in the name of Capitalism), and at one point were trying to classify ketchup as a vegetable in order to get around the 2-veggie rule that presumably was in place to keep children, you know, healthy. Thanks, Ronnie!

Amaze likes this.
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Woah, hold on you can upload images directly too the forums? Why am I only find this out now?

Hilbert Hagedoorn likes this.
  7. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Yeah I remember that too in early elementary. Ours were round and pretty basic but I don't remember how well I liked them at the time. But the rectangle ones I always loved. I sort of fixed the photos of the recipes

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I missed the whole school pizza thing as i left school in 84 and we never saw anything like this as it was always fully made meals, the whole meat and two veg thing, and when i look back now as a adult it was actually a very good array of healthy and hearty dinners on offer, but if pizza had been offered when i was there i would have been dead long ago. lol

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    In elementary school the cafeteria made really big rectangle pizzas and then cut them into smaller, but still good size squares. I remember one time in 4th grade they actually ran out, and my class of around 20 hadn't eaten yet. We had to wait like 15-20 minutes for them to make a new one and it was so good! Fresh out of the oven, tons of melted gooey cheese. I know it was good because that memory has stuck with me for over 30 years. :p

10. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    The pic might be unrelated to your wonderment over '80s pizza, but that ad looks like an early '60s ad for Chef Boy-ar-dee Pizza Mix (It came in a box complete with a can of tomato paste and dried parmesan cheese). I think they might still make it. It's definitely a unique taste, I'll give it that. Do you like cardboard?

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I think it is, a lot of the early adverts I tried finding was either the Pizza Hut or Chef Boy-ar-dee. (As it's called in some of the adverts.)

Speaking of mystery meat there was also that spam pizza.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Also yes some of these instant or ready made pizzas have a very unique taste to say the least.

Can be fun to draw some recipes and ideas from older culinary creations but some of these well they're probably best left in the past.
    (Jello everything!)

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The schools I went to, offered either cheese pizza.....or pizza with tiny chucks of pepperoni.... They only deviated from the pepperoni for special occasions....and then it was a ground beep topping. Was always a very light sauce. The pizza slices were never truly rectangular. The pizza was only slightly narrower at one end than the other.

They did try french bread pizza, but people complained about the bread being too hard, too thick and usually nearly cold.....

I always quested the "chili" recipe.... It was usually served a few days after "meatloaf" day and usually looked more like a soup.

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I went to a small rural school, ~300 or so, K thru 12. We, the students actually helped cook and serve school lunches. This was in the Apollo era. It was part of home economics class. I learned how to cook just like a woman. I still have my [​IMG]
    When we had frosh initiation, we took a weeks worth of kitchen slop buckets, and filled a 20' trench made of hay bales and plastic tarp which they had to crawl through in their bellies. Of course this would be considered child abuse and hazing now.

14. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Our choices in the late 80's through 90's were the hamburger school pizza or Pizza Hut slice but the latter you had to pay for, even for the free lunch kids which was kinda BS because they were too poor to afford it. I know the school pizzas cost the school .10 cents each and they charged $1.00 for the non free lunch kids. For which some of us had parents that didn't give us money for lunch so there's that. I also just realized that I forgot to upload the recipe for the pizza crust. I also forgot to note that the guide was only for schools participating in the National School Lunch Program...so it may not reflect what was served for everyone's school.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm pretty sure that we never had pizza in school. If we did it was some kind of one off case. (Un)fortunately they served proper food (for free).

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks, very interesting share. Ironically, I can't remember ever having regularly at school prepared meals. We got our lunch at home (when young and school was only until noon), or some small lunch (sandwiches) before getting home and having real meals at home.
    School pizza, I never was served that except maybe on when we had school weeks away (like summer and winter sports weeks when we lived at a hostel).