Download: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 2, 2020.

1. nytevizion

nytevizion Active Member

GPU:
    6900XT
    Installed 20.4.1. Random crashes, black screens and instability returned. Overclock stable, next day, not stable. Went back to 20.2.2 and my sanity has returned.

MSI Vega 56 / Gigabyte z97x 4690k

olymind1 likes this.
  2. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Sorry, but I tried really hard to reproduce Blackscreens. But I can't. Hours of Gaming, idling on the Desktop or watching YouTube Videos on different browsers... I even slowed down the Fan Curve a bit. To me these drivers are quite solid. But I will have an eye on it.

3. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Anyone noticed that when you start a Non-Steamgame via Steam the game profile gets messed up? The driver would use a different game-profile then instead. In my case it basically uses Overwatch Profile for almost every Non-Steam game as long as i start that game with Steam.
    From what i can tell it only seems to be the case with games that doesn't get detected automatically by the AMD driver (In my case it's mostly GOG-Games).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  4. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Not everyone faces those problems. If they were easily reproducible then they would be fixed by now. Most of them (like 90-95%) are fixed. But believe me --- the 5% are still there with the 20.4.1.

I for one have them appearing just from nowhere. Sometimes a few times a day and sometimes stable for 2-3.
    I don`t shut down the PC at all just shutting down the monitor.... Maybe that is because of that (however I am nearly sure I`ve had one black screen after several minutes after reboot....) ....

And locking the GPU at the P1 state as minimum does solve the issue (or rather -- prevents the idle problem from occurring whatever it is --- however with higher idle power draw and temps).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020

5. Daddio

Daddio Member

GPU:
    GigabyteGTX1080 G1
    I re set my asus rog strix heat sync and now the temps in afterburner gpu tops out at 60c gpu 2 is 90c i think i have to re- reset the heat sync. OR, Is anyone wlse getting Hi temps in Gen Zero with latest Driver. Thats what Im asking OK?

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    These 2020 drivers have been nothing but a complete disaster for me.
    Constant black screens, locks up and issues. Never has been like this.
    Went back to 19.12.1. Ive done a new install of Win 10, every single 2020 driver with DDU, etc.

I have never actually had this many driver problems ever. 17 years of gaming. I usually defend AMD on the drivers front too because they have been very stable for the last 10 years for me off and on. But this is not acceptable.

pharma and OnnA like this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    still no confirmation if or if it isn't a hardware bug either.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it could be either, firmware and micro code updates making the hardware more tolerable or changing functions around. Post 20.2 (So almost eight months since I picked the 5700XT Pulse up.) it's been fairly stable but not perfect and DXVK still at least in my testing shows that whatever the D3D driver code is doing it's not quite there yet both performance wise and stability wise.

To say nothing of issues with Radeon Settings and functionality like Wattman, OS features like sleep mode and connectivity like just turning the display off and a variety of media playback issues and yeah I kinda lost track trying to keep up at what's been fixed (A fair bit.) and what's still a issue even if it's seemingly random who gets what problems. (Also a fair bit.)

19.7.1 to 19.7.5 was stable even if it lacked some features and had problems with video playback, from there to 20.2.1 it's entirely random what could happen and since then it's at least fairly stable though I do utilize DXVK where possible as the GPU just behaves better with it which I hope will not be required whenever the next major branch jump is up.

May and 20.5.1 perhaps and a skip to WDDM 2.7 and the code update for all that hopefully, probably a bit optimistic though and who knows what issues could also be introduced as others go unfixed or are de-prioritized as RDNA2 nears readiness and gets much of the focus for the code and getting it release ready. Speculation at best but hopefully the situation won't be whatever happened here with Navi and numerous issues and regressions all the way back to the 300 series while also still leaving the flagship card of the Radeon VII with unresolved issues, sigh.

Still a fan of the GPU's and how they've improved things performance wise and all but it's not like the software situation and other issues (Much as AMD has said anything at all about this which doesn't seem to be very much.) so I hope to see improvements but I'm going to be a bit skeptical.

Successes with Ryzen will also hopefully see a bigger budget and more hiring and getting a good team of driver developers and all that ready for later in 2020 or early 2021 reducing problems and pressure for the existing teams getting some good progress on resolving existing and long standing issues while also focusing on new features, game support, applications and what not. :)

Also just speculation though and this does take time plus it's the CPU division that's doing well they're getting the focus and a bigger budget first I would imagine although these are plans made over years due to how long it takes to get new architecture up and building on that over several steps and increments or how it's called.

EDIT: Pretty sure AMD changed around a few things with Fury for example and something in regards to tessellation performance and then there's been tweaks to Vega and likely also Polaris and Radeon VII, probably a lot of deeper less discussed or listed changes to Navi GPU behavior too like fixing how it handled (Or didn't handle.) memory overclocking and a lot more.

GPU hardware could have limitations of it's own too for what can be done and how the GPU operates like the immediate down clocking behavior, there's some info but not much from AMD themselves on that.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    A lot of the third party GPU's also alter voltage factors particularly the SOC clock but the target wattage and also amperage tends to vary a lot from AMD's default of 175 target wattage and 14 amps I think to between 185 up to even 220 wattage (Kinda over the top but some of the double 8-pin models go pretty high here.) and then amperage between 15 up to 20 for some models although they all seemingly lower the 1.2v SOC to 1.05v for SOC voltage but it doesn't seem to have any immediate detrimental effects for the card whereas the amperage can be sensitive to lower further.

Wattage seems to work well enough at 175w although the 8-pin models do have the capacity to go up to around 200 plus the power limit slider in the Radeon Settings software itself for a total draw from 200w up to over 300 - 350w although with how the stock GPU already spikes pretty high I wonder how good of a idea that is when coupled with the power limit slider and what the GPU can clock too plus the resulting fairly low performance gains outside of benchmarking.

Stock target of 175w for the 5700 XT other than the 50th Anniversary model but it hits nearly 400w in short bursts or spikes so no wonder some less efficient 500 - 600w PSU's might have problems handling that plus over current protection particularly with multi-rail or modular designs which is also something to keep in mind.
    (Pretty certain Vega behaved worse though so anyone going stable with the 56 or 64 wouldn't have any immediate power supply issues with Navi unless the card itself is very prone to errors or sensitive with how this is handled and ups and downs as it fluctuates around.)

EDIT: Well still mostly speculative I suppose, should be less of the card just outright shutting down but it's not entirely fixed yet and this behavior doesn't just have to be or might be entirely unrelated to power delivery too at least for when the PSU can be counted out as a factor for not having supplied enough to keep the GPU going. :)

EDIT: There's that article on transients and spikes, some of the reviews for Navi has that at around 350 - 400 peaks from what I recall so yep Vega was pretty tough on the PSU.
    https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-batt...power-consumption-and-peak-loads-demystified/

(That's Furmark though so a bit of a extreme situation although it *is* Furmark so AMD likely has a throttle on that profile so yeah that's a possibility also.)

EDIT: And then there's the hardware acceleration issues from web browsing to media playback and yeah let's see what 20.5.1 can do. :)

Or what more can be said, just have to wait for new drivers and test how they work comparing with the list of fixed issues and noting the list of known issues and whatever issues weren't listed because that does happen for both AMD and NVIDIA.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  10. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Are you, by any chance, restoring your previous configuration via the export/import settings option?

If yes, don't. Just use the oc/uv/mem/fan profile conf. save and restore, this works as intended.

I'm on o V56 myself. Whenever I tried using the total export/restore option, I encountered some or all of the problems you're referring to.

Using only the performance/tuning saved profile (saved from 19.12.3, working flawlessly on all 2020 versions so far) and setting manually the other options (RIS, FS, colour etc) after DDUing the previous drivers gives me no trouble or any problems at all (apart from the 10' that the whole procedure takes).

11. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    Importing profile its broken. Anyone can see that.

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I would advise everyone to contact the manufacturer of your GPU. Ask if there is a bios update for your gpu. Make sure you give them your serial number, etc.

Cant confirm it but it's floating out there we got some errata that can only be fixed via bios update. My issue with this rumor is no bios updates on their website

13. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    @Eastcoasthandle
    Techpowerup has a collection of BIOSes for the GPUs which is updated by the community. I took the latest VEGA 64 Liquid Cooled Ed. from there.
    Of course you need to be careful when flashing the updated firmware --- there are differences in the cards, different memory manufacturers, timings etc. but this site has been very helpful on maintaining an up-to-date collection of different bioses.

Embra likes this.
  14. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    I am out of patience really... Done everything ppl try to suggest and still frequent black screens/lockups. As i've said before, seems they tried to cramp everything into one driver utility with bad results... Good news is, I have a system with everything updated when my 2070 Super arrives. I REALLY wanted to support AMD on both CPU and GPU side, but this is just unacceptable. I have After Effects set to save every 3 minutes atm to not loose work done, same with games where autosave is available :D
    But, having to cold-boot machine..then unplug monitor powercable to get GPU to recognize it again, THEN restart again... then start AMD Adrenaline and load profile and THEN restart once again to have things in order...too bad really, when the card runs..it runs GOOD but these driver issues is unbearable... I will rather pay more and have a stable system.

15. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Bring it to me and let me install stuff,, seeing as my machine hardly ever has driver issues i didnt cause

Halfmead likes this.

16. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    Its easy to say that when you have a 7770 from/for 10 years. Either didnt cause you problems, either you dont use it as much to care because it was 60 $.

You say people hate but you are worst than them when you dont understand what they saying. Its like you are buying a tv and channels are changing automatically 5 times a day. This is only an example. I can give 1 billion.
    Ps: a friend said the same thing until i watched a football game with him and changed the channel 3 times when his team was about to score. I found out he was lying. He cared. I ask him what would do if the tv would have this problem in reality. I think you are smart enough to guess the answer.

17. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Erm? I dont own a 7770 mate, I have a RX 5700

18. Martin2603PL

Martin2603PL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    No problems so far I came from 1070 Strix I had enough of this card and dealing with Asus support etc.
    Went with Gigabyte VEGA56 every game runs much much better.

Only fan speed control was a little dodgy for me but, with help of OverdriveNTool, MSI afterburner finally have control over fans speed.
    Oh, and that RELive... Sometimes didn't record, but when recorded clip has only green screen.

I am pretty sure those problems came also from old system, 8months without reinstall and tbh everything was okey, if you care and clean you OS there is no worries, but sometimes problems like those above are popping in
    Ofc before changing card I did all the clean up, DDU etc. but decided it's time for fresh "start"

Yesterday did a fresh install, installed all things I needed, RELive works like harm, MSI afterburner controls fans speeds with no problems.

I am still usiing OverdriveNTool, very nice tool, default voltages really are too high ;)
    Too bad graph in MSI_A is not the same for AMD like for Nvidia but whatever.

Cheers lads!

19. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    I use a RX 570 4GB at home. Here are some issues that I'd like to report:

• Setting custom performance profiles for individual games is a hit or miss. For some titles, performance profiles will work flawlessly. For some titles, it'll completely ignore the settings for its individual profile and will use whatever is defined as "Global Tuning." What's weird is that sometimes changes you've made to the performance profile for a game will end up being applied to your Global Tuning without your knowledge.
      What's worse.. (getting to the issue in the next point)
    • I have seen excessive voltage being applied to my card on rare occasions. My RX 570 by default hovers around 1050 mV (with vdroop it hovers around 1025 mV) and the default suggested voltage under global tuning is 1150 mV. On some very rare occasions I have seen it apply that voltage. The first time I recognized this issue is when my fans ramped up excessively as the card was drawing more power and producing more heat, obviously. Simply killing the AMD Radeon Software application in task manager or restarting the driver doesn't help in cases like these, you've to restart your PC.
    • Under Gaming, sometimes false entries show up for games that simply can not be removed (even after the game has been uninstalled from your system) from AMD Radeon Software, or worse.. custom shortcuts for games gets recognized as an individual title that ends up conflicting the performance profile for the actual game itself.
    • The biggest issue: enabling the power saving feature that turns the monitor off after a certain interval causes a TV like white noise-screen at wake up. I have not found a single solution for this other than to use a really really old GPU driver or having to settle for disabling the power saving feature entirely.
    • AVC recording is terrible and choppy at times, forcing your hand to always use HEVC . I don't think AMD bothers on improving their video encoder and its performance much.
    These are some of the issues I have been facing. Please feel free to report this to the proper authorities or share your experiences if you've encountered similar behavior.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So sad , i still have black screens / green screen issues with this driver :( , at this point i think it is hardware failure and my video card xfx rx 590 fatboy was doa since i bought it brand new and have had this same problems since they first day. I submitted a ticket to xfx for rma , cross fingers that they give me a new working video card.

Embra likes this.