Stuck in safe mode, Windows won't accept my password

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by metagamer, Apr 18, 2020.

1. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    So I went to install the latest Nvidia drivers. Using DDU, booted to safe mode. Windows asks for password, I type it in correctly, password incorrect. Double check, triple check, still says incorrect.

Go to Microsoft on my phone, using the same password, no problem logging into my account. Change my password, try logging into Windows with the new password, incorrect.

Can't boot to command prompt because I need the password for that to work. Can't use system restore, same reason.

Basically I'm stuck in safe mode login screen and windows is not accepting my password.

Any way around this?

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Update, managed to get back into windows after using my installation USB and using repair>troubleshooting>Command prompt and then bcdedit /deletevalue {default} which bypassed safe mode and allowed me to log into windows using my pin. Still, if I ever go back to safe mode and windows asks for password, it'll say it's incorrect.

So I can't boot to safe mode to install new drivers. That's pretty much the only thing I use safe mode for these days and I'm sure I could just not use safe mode to install the latest drivers but it's still annoying as f*ck.

3. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380

that is comes in DDU folder from author

USEFUL TIP:
    To solve the infinite boot loop issue (stuck in Safe Mode) / password lost that some users are having, you must boot with the DVD/USB (Windows installation disk) in recovery with Command prompt OR restart the computer (not the reset button) and HOLD THE SHIFT KEY until you have the advanced option menu and the option to boot with a Command prompt and type :
    Option 1 (recommended) : bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot
    * Replace "default" with the identifier of your operation system. (can be seen when you run bcdedit)
    If option 1 is not working,
    Option 2 : bootrec /rebuildbcd
    There may need to be some adjustement if you have a dualboot system. but if not , it should work correctly.
    From my personal experience, the UXTHEME patcher was a possible cause of this.
    Safe Mode may not work especially with the "Windows 10 Anniversary Update" when CSM in the bios is "Disabled". (Microsoft issue)
    If DDU is not starting:
    -DDU doesn't work from a network drive.
    -The folder permission you have DDU install are broken, check that you have SYSTEM, Administrators and your username at Full Control.(Windows default)
    -Try to install DDU on the Desktop and run it from there.
    -Send the logs, if any, located within the DDU folder in the DDU Logs folder.
    New driver is not installing and an old driver from windows update is getting installed by itself?
    -You had the internet connected and it should be disconnnected when running DDU and until you re-install the new driver

4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yeah, I got it sorted via the installation USB. Shift key/restart and doing command prompt from there didn't work because it still asked for password and it kept saying it's incorrect.

Would running bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot allow me to boot to safe mode and recognise my password? Is that what you're saying?

5. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    what if reset your password with kind of live cd? and what the password it ask for? local profile or Microsoft profile/ As far as i remember you can use both of them.And by the way you can log in as local(embedded) Administrator. Also you can run in Safe Mode with command prompt and type control userpasswords2 to handle with your profiles

6. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380

Would running bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot allow me to boot to safe mode and recognise my password? Is that what you're saying? ----- as far as i understand this command delete request for SafeBoot mode .Next reboot should be in Normal Mode.

7. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    anyway i'd recommend you first of all to use DDU author method and then if it won;t work use kind of live cd or MSDART (it comes from Microsoft and it is free) either ERD(freeeware) to reset your password. Good luck.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Just curious but why do you need to go in safe mode to install new drivers? I don't think I've ever done that.

Caesar and mbk1969 like this.
  9. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    the man would like to uninstall driver in Safe Mode))) Nobody whose i know install driver in Safe Mode..By the way OS won't grant to install any driver in SM))))

10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That's not what he said though.

11. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    think he wished to uninstall driver with DDU in Safe Mode... but who knows)))) the man is out, now.... maybe he is in next Galaxy))))))

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    So I went to install the latest Nvidia drivers. Using DDU, booted to safe mode.

Clearly I went to install the latest drivers. Used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to boot to safe mode. To uninstall current drivers, obviously, as I'm using an uninstaller.

386SX and vestibule like this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/display-driver-uninstaller-thread.379506/

14. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Shift + F10 should be the shortcut for command prompt in that scenario.

15. Ian Castro

Ian Castro Guest

GPU:
    Radeon(tm) HD Graph