New AMD Ryzen 4000 rumors are doing rounds; released in September?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2020.

1. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Stop it with "my Ryzen destroy your Intel" or "no way my Intel is way better than any AMD"...
    It's just stupid...
    Both are nearly the same with some bit better from one or other brand in some special program.
    I had Intel last year (and still have it at work... at least when frontier will be open again lol), and i have just pass on AMD because it is a more modern architecture, and yet more secured and because it is nearly 2/3 of the intel equivalent... and as i am near retirement (because i have made dangerous work when young) i need no more a huge xeon config.
    But in bench or game it is the same (10pfs difference when you are over 100fps... seriously :) (and this is my job btw)).
    Also you are partial (both blue and red camp) you take video and bench result that glorify your favorite brand, when the vast majority said that it's almost the same.

2. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    seems like ill sell my 3900x to get a new gen ryzen :) gotta love the fact that we dont have to change mobo :)

3. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Do u remember any reviews focusing on the effect of latency beyond the 3.2Ghz ram frequency? I stopped reading reviews (only the charts :p) by when am4 got past 3200 :S

4. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm talking about the video he posted where it clearly shows the 3700x outperforming the 9700K while streaming in BF5.

The purpose of the post was to illustrate that there are cases where AMD CPUs are competitive and in some cases where they surpass Intel equivalents. For example, I moved from a 7820x to a 3900x - in most games the performance was a small downgrade but there are some games where performance was better - SC2/Hots for example perform way better on the 3900x - probably something engine specific. Now in days I do a lot of video rendering work with Davinci Resolve + Maya - again here the 3900x outperforms my 7820x - despite the 7820x at the time being nearly $150 more. So the notion he made, that it in "whatever workload you want, 'intel wins'" just isn't true. It's more nuanced than that.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    HandR and moaka like this.
  6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No such thing as Zen 2+ (Unless you mean Zen2 and future, which is confusing because Zen+ is a thing)

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I do and even then AMD's latency was over double Intels on Zen1 when the calls had to cross CCX's.

9. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    We're wasting so much "texting" for rumors.
    Best thing to do is to wait for an official announcement. It'll take a while, and probably longer than initially planned due to COVID-19 troubles.

10. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Well yeah, it was a round about way of asking for some links :p

I do know AMD latency is higher but I don't know how that actually affects different kinds of software with different bottlenecks.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This is my plan as well.... Didn't really plan to leave my R5 1600 until Zen4/5 at the earliest.....but crap happens and processors get damaged. Now the R5 1600 is sitting on a shelf with the GTX970.....
    It was announced early on that AM4 would be supported until 2020...though with a late-2020 launch of Zen3, it's looking like it'll be supported into 2021. I would expect Zen4 to launch on AM5 in late 2021 or early 2022 though.

Toadstool and -Tj- like this.
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The sooner the better, I'm already waiting for this, postponed my upgrade from "now" to late 2020 / early 2021.
    But I'm honestly more worried about the mainboards than the CPUs... will the fan on the chipset get bigger? Some more features I probably won't need like with the 5xx mainboards...

-Tj- likes this.
  13. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Whatever these will bring, I doubt it will be worth much for any (desktop) 3000 series owners, unless they really want to live on the bleeding edge.

But anyone with an 1000 or 2000 series Zen (1), it would be a massive upgrade (40-50%) faster !
    Also any existing Intel owner (except maybe Coffee Lake 9900K), Zen 3 will most certainly be faster in all possible ways.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020