As you get older, are games as fun as they used to be?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jbscotchman, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    With the rise of free to play games over the last 10 years, gaming had gotten a bit stale. Games like World of tanks is a great time sinker if you don't mind the grind. Killing Floor 2 is a good example of a premium game done to high standards. The Steam store is still the only store I use to buy games from.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    games are still fun
    old people are jaded.

Paul L and cerebus23 like this.
  3. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Exactly this. I yearn for some buddies toeffectively do some teamwork online. Old friends quit and understandably so, new friends are hard to make, imo.
    Well friends... call them gaming buddies.

I'm almost 34 now and I feel like whenever I start a game of RO2: Vietnam, it's become a free-for-all. Not many actually playing the objective and if you dare using the voicecom, you'll be told to shut it or have some shrieking kids ( 12-30 year olds :p ) over the coms spouting profanities.
    Single player gaming tend to work better, but I've learned over the years to focus on let's plays and reviews on mainly indy games. Games with soul.
    AAA games tend to be all Michael Bay-like action and not thought trough.

I too, have been gaming since I was... 5? I have an Amiga 500 from my birthyear and a built my own gaming Pc when I was 16 ( 2002 ).
    You can almost measure the lack in imagination and innovation from big studio's over the years.

What kind-of saved me from giving up is watching Soviet Womble, a funny, sometimes childish but intelligent youtuber and streamer that shows me there's still fun to be had.

AsiJu likes this.
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    As people get older, their responsibilities shift...
    Most don't have as much time as they once did for games. So, there might be a misconception that they don't play games as much because they are older, while it's because they don't have as much time.

And yeah, some people are simply jaded. "Games aren't like they used to be" so they are garbage.
    I see those types of comments a lot.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. Holocron

Holocron Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD
  6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I'd rather say gaming has made it more difficult to enjoy traditional media. It's hard to sit around passively watching a movie when you could be starring in a game.
    Which is why I mostly stick to TV shows nowadays, I can do an hour.

big ROBOT bill and rflair like this.
  7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, i´m 37 and i´ve been gaming since my older brother bought a ZX Spectrum. Now i have a very nice PC, a PS4, Xbox One S, the mini retro consoles and i still love to play but i have to admit something changed. I think that it was the sense of discovery, i´ve basically played or tried every style/genre of game and now everything is more of the same. That´s not necessarily bad, because there are some great games based on trusted mechanics but in the end they lack the sense of discovering or exploring new stuff... The last game that really surprised and amazed me was Dark Souls, since then...

I still like to play some games online, the problem with those is that there are some ways "cheap" ways to win and then everyone plays the same way in the end and it becomes extremely hard for those who like to play them differently. A good example of this is PES.

Sometimes i wonder if i should sell my desktop and just keep the consoles for some gaming...

Paul L and Solfaur like this.
  8. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Yes they are! I have been enjoying games for at least 27 years and will continue to do so, as long as the stories remain interesting

9. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Funny, this exact question has been on my mind a bit over the last few years...I'm not to answer the question.

Just turned 40 a few months back and have less time for games than even 5 years ago, far less compared to 10-15 when I was single. I will still login and play a few different games when I have the time, but new house, newish career and husbandly responsibilities take up a lot of time. My attitude and interest has changed too. I used to play a lot more MP games like CoD and BF then a few MMOs. Now I am more interested in SP with good stories or open worlds. I also like games that are immersive even if they're goofy or heavily stylized.

Additionally I am just not as into games themselves as I used to be...I especially find the mechanics or UI of many games to be cumbersome or over simplified (depending) with too many training wheels and hand holding. Some games feel lazily developed or under whelming with little innovation, then the DLCification/lootboxification...I want an immersive experience realistic or not, and the blinking items and floating icons everywhere in most games these days takes away. I tend to go for games that are moddable and spend a decent amount of time doing that periodically (not creating mods myself, just getting them to work generally...). Games like FO4 are unplayable without them...

Witcher 3 sums up my gaming over the last several years- bought for real cheap 1+years after release. Since then I have dropped it and picked it up a few times and fooled around with different mods so have restarted repeatedly. After all this time I am finally nearly done with the main quest and have started the first DLC.

TLDR,

I'm old and have different priorities. I still like games for entertainment but am after different things than I used to be. I used to like the thrill of MP, now i like the narrative of a good SP. The games themselves have changed a lot and certainly not always for the better. I find many newer games to be beautifully rendered but the mechanics or story or both are severely lacking. New games sometimes just feel too much like the old with a few enhancements if even that.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    36 here, for me the feeling comes and goes.

The past months i havn't really felt like playing anything.

I am however looking forward to the C&C Remastered Collection.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Have you tried Age of Empire's 2 remastered? It's not too bad.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yep , it got harder for me.

Also the more I played, the more games i got to compare , so it is easy to understand what games I like, and which i hate.
    So in the end, i got only a handfull of games which i know always deliver for me.
    eg.
    Tombraider, Soulsborne , Nioh , GTA , Forza,resident evil.

I cant stand isometric RPGs or FPS anymore. they are so boring to me. Doom was somewhat better , but the combat was a bit too hectic for me.

13. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    The answer is probably no.
    But the question is :
    What is 'as fun as it used to be' when getting older ?

Apart the existential/philosophical approach, I am 44 and I still play a lot.
    Started from arcade machines at 10,
    passed through Amstrad 6128 and Amiga,
    before discovering the consoles magic with Sega Mega Drive and PS1&2.
    I then started pc gaming and I never looked back.
    5 years ago I had the same thoughts.
    Gaming was not fun anymore.
    So I decided to sell my uber gaming pc and all my equipment.
    The break lasted for 2 years.
    Then again, I built a gaming pc and started playing.
    And for that first period I felt the old good excitement.
    Now, I still enjoy it but I became more selective.
    I do not play everything anymore.
    No more first person shooters.
    No more footbal/basketball games.
    I focused on to sim racing and bought a wheel and a cockpit.
    I play arcade racers as well.
    Tomb Raider and platform games.
    So a small brake and a targeted(quality vs quantity) return was the cure of the 'lost excitement' disease in my case.

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I just entered 35, i feel that i struggle to finish games since last year, last game i really finished was
    dishonored 2 and death of the outsider
    Metro exodus i reached very far
    Cod mw i finished
    I have to admit i think im getting old on getting on with finding what really keeps me immersed to finish the campaign

15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    No. Not because games are bad, it's because I've played it all over and over, countless times. Something as primitive as Dune 2 or Flashback on Amiga or Doom on PC were pinnacles of gaming back in the day. Games are miles better than back in those days but once you play them a thousand times, nah...

I only tend to play games with long term progression, where you put in the time and get rewarded. Meaning MMOs, ARPGs and similar. And racing sims.

16. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    55yrs old here. I am just about finished with games. I could drop playing tomorrow. I have 2 mores games to play and then I will not bother again. So, the new Doom and RDRedemption.

17. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    They're getting better. I'm into exploring for the visuals and don't really get into the story or mission gameplay. So I search for and install texture mods, landscape mods and other graphics mods. RDR2 and AC Odyssey are a couple of the latest improvements in graphics. And I'm getting older, in my 60's.

vestibule likes this.
  18. francisbaud

francisbaud Guest

GPU:
    I don't remember
    I remember the excitement and wonder to play as a kid on a Nintendo 64. Now the games don't bring so much excitement, yet the addiction remains often.

jbscotchman and ramthegamer like this.
  19. Paul L

Paul L Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    Most of my life has been spent playing games & as I approach 46 this year I am aware that I can't get 'In the Zone' as I used to... I noticed it happening around 38 & now well yeah
    I've seen it all gameplay wise. The only thing I seem to be interested in these days is Post Scriptum as it's so crazy at times I can't help but be drawn in.

20. Holocron

Holocron Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD
    I guess a big factor on why I look up to the Video Games industry is because of MMOs, specifically the Elder Scrolls Online and Destiny 2 (American MMOs). Single player games makes you satisfied for just a moment while the story lasts, but these two games that I have mentioned gives me a lot to look forward to for years, if not for decades, to come. Just look at Everquest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_expansions), 26 expansion since the year 2000.