Crytek employee says Playstation 5 will win, Xbox Series X has bottlenecks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Dr.Puschkin

Dr.Puschkin Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti Suprim
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    did you even see the responder calling it nonsense?

don't post articles referencing crap from Gaf and Reeeeeesetera

KissSh0t likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I'll tell you what is not nonsense. Getting same performance from fewer CUs at higher clock costs you a lot of power efficiency.
    Only thing that PS5 has over XSX is faster storage. And unless game forces that to be requirement, XSX gets you more fps/better image at same power draw.
    And I doubt that game will use 4~8GB/s of data from storage. They would have to make it intentionally wasteful.

There are games where I have as fast loading times with 3.6GB/s storage as average guys with SSDs because CPU can't handle it any better.
    Optimizing game for high CPU data throughput, constantly pulling even 4GB/s is nonsense. I am sure, you can imagine all kind of data that can be loaded and their target location/structure. Yet, you'll not come with any kind that you would load, unload, load, unload over and over again when you have enough RAM.
    Because that RAM is still magnitude faster. And graphical ram another magnitude faster.

Why would I make game that will be pulling even 10GB/s all the time from storage when I have 400GB/s+ memory bandwidth? Not enough memory? Then optimize memory use!
    Because, in reality 10GB/s storage is bottleneck if used for any other purpose than: "load once, keep in memory."

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that flop nonsense is and has always been rubbish, running the whole chip at a faster rate can beat out a chip with less compute units because you're just about always starved in components unrelated to shaders. ROPS for instance are a choke point with high resolutions, fixed function setup stage and geometry units too.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    (Backs quietly away from thread)

carnivore and fantaskarsef like this.
  6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Right. Don't split this into semantics. Gotcha.

Maybe post less when drunk / high?

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    To be clear: you did/do not understand what I said, because you split the subject into a semantic argument which you were not aware of, and now? Now, I am again in the wrong for making you aware that your argument was fallacious?

Microsoft is not an electronics manufacturer and therefore is not going to win an electronics fight.

Next round to Sony, without a doubt.

8. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    This is such a ridiculous argument. The vast majority of electronics companies outsource some, if not all, of their manufacturing. Going from design to finished good is a massive supply chain that basically never exists within a single company, something is inevitably contracted out or bought from some other company.

carnivore and yasamoka like this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    We are only talking about two companies here...so cut the petulant tone. Just two companies, so do not bring other companies into this because there are only two:

1) Microsoft - not an electronics manufacturer
    2) Sony - an electronics manufacturer with 73 years of global experience and logistical distribution in place.

One of them pays other people to make their stuff, the other is Sony.

Fox2232 likes this.
  10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Apple are not an electronics manufacture either, but having deep pockets allows them to pretty much do what they want. I have yet to meet a single person who owns or has owned a Sony phone.

That argument is completely meaningless.

In the real world, what will decide which console does best is price/brand loyalty/games/performance.
    Performance didn't used to be a thing, but since the PS4/X1 everyone is getting involved in the technical side of things, even when you can see they don't really understand it all.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah Sony, the company that paid AMD/TSMC and Foxconn to make their PS4 and now PS5.

Toadstool, Ricepudding and Keitosha like this.
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, last I checked they were paying LG to make their TVs as well now.

Sony has the advantage because of the PS4, but they need to prioritise backwards compatibility.
    No one who has a PS4 would buy an Xbox if their existing library is 100% going to work on the PS5, and not just work but run and look better too.
    Maybe I've missed that part, but I don't think they have been that clear regarding that.

Keitosha likes this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    LG for their OLED's, Foxconn's CMI & Hon Hai for LCD TVs - I don't think they manufacture any panels anymore.

It's amusing because The Verge (which I admit isn't a great publication) literally wrote an article titled:

"Sony is no longer an electronics company" in 2015

I think the only hardware they still make is image sensors for cameras and even that is now a subsidiary. The PS4 was entirely manufactured by Foxconn aside from the SoC.

Problem is Loobyluggs has a very long history of making really bad arguments and defending them until everyone just gives up because it's like talking to a wall.

I personally think PS5 is going to win because of exclusive titles. Microsoft already committed for all the exclusive to also be on PC.. I know a lot of people that only bought an Xbox for the exclusive Xbox games but would rather play on PC -- none of the ones I talked too are interested in buying an Xbox now but are definitely getting a PS5. I don't think it matters though -- I feel like Microsoft shifted it's strategy and is essentially pivoting the Xbox to serve mid-tier gaming market and lower. The writing is on the wall for Sony - the only somewhat profitable division they have is Playstation, the rest of the company is trash.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, so many post look like they come from an emotional point of view rather than a logical one.

It's theirs to lose, so unless they mess the launch up I'm confident they will.

After years of being stupid i think MS has realised they can make more money selling games on multiple platforms than they can from selling just consoles and console games. Game Pass money plus PC sales, and now Game Pass must be quite lucrative.
    It's why i wish Sony had something similar, as much as i don't value the Sony exclusives that much it's not even a competition anymore. They could remove 50% of them and still win, but all the ones i like i could finish over a long weekend so it's not a long term incentive for me.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    They are still an electronics company versus a software company pretending to be a manufacturer, a manufacturer that has lost every round since they began competing in the console industry.

Continuing, Microsoft nearly won the prior-prior round with the 360, but, lost out at the final furlong. I have continued to state how shocked I was that Microsoft had such a bad 'offering' with the XB1. I really did think they would have been the victor before that round started, but no, the screwed it up to a now-historic amount and are trying to win this round with numbers, which is poor tactic.

And please, let us not continue to argue semantics. Microsoft is a software company. Sony is an electronics company.

I will not buy a console from Microsoft as a result of this. Not now. Not ever.

I do use their software, not Sony's, for Office work and operating systems.

Not games consoles.

As for the argumentum ad hominem. Please. You are better than that, but I still got <3 for you.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  17. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    No one thought XB1 was going to do well,. It had an announcement that was the worst in history, worse than "five hundred ninety nine us dollars" / "riiiiidge racer" ps3 announcement.
    And you sound like a fanboy.. Microsoft makes a ton of hardware products. Xbox, zune, surface, to name a few. Just like Google started off as a search engine but now makes phones and tablets and "smarthome" devices, and Amazon was an online book store that is now trying to conquer the world.
    [​IMG]

carnivore and Loobyluggs like this.
  18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's not the 90's Sony is not an electronics company anymore, this confirmation bias is cringy as hell.

Why can't people be honest anymore, just say i prefer XYZ and i hope they do well.

Let's see what happens as we are going to get multiple "leaks" over the next 6-9 months from "insiders" who will claim one side is doing worse than the other.

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I just had a conversation with someone who only plays console. They thought that since they have an Xbox One X, and the TV says it's outputting 4k, his games are all 4k. Most people think like that.
    They don't understand, and they don't care.
    Fundamentally these two new consoles are the same. If you're arguing which will be 10 percent faster as if that will determine which console will be the most popular, then you're missing the point.
    It just needs to be fast enough, then equal parts "exclusive games" and "lower price".

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    PS5 wins what? The award for the console that held graphics back by 5 years? Games are made for the lowest common denominator, and it's the PS5 hands down this time around. As much as Sony will pay different outlets to make up stories about how X Y or Z will give the PS5 a plethora of magic powers, and how Microsoft suck a cornucopia balls, that doesn't change reality. And reality is that having a hilariously under powered GPU matters a lot and games will have to be built from the ground up to accommodate the PS5. Will some games perform potentially better on the PS5 than the XBSX? It's more than possible, but only because they were made from the start to be like that. If you just go balls to the wall, PS5's crap GPU is a serious limit.

Fox2232 likes this.