ASUS Is looking into applying liquid metal opposed to TIM in some of their Game laptops

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 2, 2020.

1. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    The only way to live these days.... Liquid metal for the win baby!!

Have this on my 3900X and 3960X and these bad boys are cold as ICE!.!.! Damn 3960X doesn't pass 50C under massive load! Then again she's under a huge amount of H2O with an EK block...

fry178 likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    In terms of total thermal capacity, no, not really. In terms of removing heat way from the CPU as quickly as possible (which is the primary goal of a heatsink) then yes, liquid metal makes a substantial difference.
    That being said, I'm not really sure what the thermal capacity of a typical laptop heatsink is. Most laptops I've encountered with an i5 or better spew out a lot of heat under full load.

fry178 likes this.
  3. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    They had better be thinking long and hard about this before going forward. As a Dell field tech, I saw someone fry both their motherboard AND their GPU in an Alienware when they applied liquid metal, all because they failed to consider the possibility that it could leak onto the resistors that often surround mobile chips.

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @mannix
    lol, if been using it for years and wasn't a "pro" when it comes to having experience in applying LM,
    yet i didn't fry anything, so clearly not the product.
    there is no subtle difference. you apply i right or you didn't.
    and if you read the manual, search the web for 5 min (which was not even giving the same results when i did it +5y ago),
    would have shown you it only needs to be "wetting" the HS surface (not covering it), automatically preventing any leak/run off.
    or how is it aht so many ppl are using it without problems?

outside the fact that kryonaut is a company, not a (certain) product.
    works with things like tissue paper, but not when you want to differentiate between different TIM stuff.
    and unless someone shows me lab results proving that its not, especially with things like LM,
    i believe they are all made in the same plant and just come with different packaging/labels.

similar to LSD nimh batteries. check amazon/ebay how many different brands are selling them, yet there is only ONE plant on the planet that makes them.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Liquid metal is a good ide. I'm using LM on my delidded 7980xe, and with LM it's pretty easy to cool. 4700mhz all core is good enough for me.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It’s gonna be on all the Intel based ROG laptops. They did this last year on the mothership. Eluktronics has been doing this for a while.

7. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    What sort of metals are used, and how toxic are they?

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I dunno exactly, but don't inject them & don't eat them! (You might be able to get away with eating them!)

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Size_Mick
    i remember at least one component (Gallium).
    Which is part of the reason ppl state to remove/reapply LM a few times within the first weeks/month of use, so the HS can absorb it and it wont "dry out"
    as much.

DeskStar likes this.
  10. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Going to be taking my H115i off my 3900X as that's a straight copper baseplate with zero coating on it. Suspect it's been soaked up pretty good!!

Applying the shtuff seemed like it took off the engraving of my IHS......not sure honestly, but it sure looked like it was disappearing upon applying.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    yeah, would say its more of "covering" it when some stuff gets drawn into the HS.
    havent removed it from the 3600 (swapping it in a month), but so far no trouble even when leaving it on
    for longer and not having it removed/reapplied multiple times on the intels i used.

just make sure to twist the block to get it off the chip, pulled an FX out of the (locked) socket the first time i used it :D