Laptop Core i9-10980HK CPU has a power allowance of 135 Watts

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its the only way they can compete with amd, ramp the power so it uses twice as much then 4900h.

3. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    Holy cow, but but but 5.3GHz right?:D
    I've always wanted have a good sandwich maker...:cool:

4. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    They should add an additional prefilled custom watercooling solution with plugable quickfittings on the side of the chassis...

... so you could connect it to the central heating of your home as support...

Oh and the good news is, that sooo many new notebooks will have intel in$ide, so let the people learn it the hard way... xD

But this: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/mel...-Desktop-16-Kerner-Ryzen-9-3950X-4693774.html will finally kick Intels b*tt...

Undying likes this.

5. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    2 in 1 workstation and panini maker inbound

6. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    You know something is wrong when a Laptop CPU sucks up more power than a Desktop CPU that has 50-100% more cores.

Intel should name the CPU as Larva Lake.

xIcarus and Brasky like this.
  7. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    DG21 likes this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I feel like Intel should establish a new R&D division for novel battery and mobile energy solutions if they think a 135W CPU is okay for a laptop.

xIcarus likes this.
  9. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    >Laptop
    >135w cpu

Pick one

10. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I think the only time that's going to be in or around that 45W TDP is when it's OFF! :eek:

chispy likes this.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So, it´s a desktop CPU prentending to be a laptop CPU!?...:eek:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    schmidtbag likes this.
  12. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Its dual use right, laptop and frying pan on the go :D

But seriously the heat this will produce means it will never be able to use its ghz, which defeats the purpose surely?

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Idle. AMD during a presentation when asked about why idle battery life on the Intel laptops was still better than the 4xxx CPU's they said, "Intel is really good at doing nothing."

14. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Laptop / Space Heater.

15. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800

16. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    This sounds crazy, i stopped at 120W on my Ryzen 1700, because it started to get noisy with a Noctua NH-D15 at full load, it was not worth it to go higher.
    Makes you think.
    But at least buyers have the option i guess.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I get the impression that they have this absurdly high TDP because the CPU's thermal operation range is shifted up. So perhaps it is very tolerant of running at 100C for an extended period. But even then, that would be a problem to the user. A 45W CPU can be uncomfortably hot on your lap. This is triple the amount of heat. What's the point of having a laptop if you can't put it on your lap?

Remember too that Intel's TDPs usually revolve around base clocks, so really, the wattage gets even higher.

18. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Who need a laptop with good performance anyway? Desktop @ work and Desktop @ home.

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I don't think it matters much on desktop but on laptop that's kind of very high ...

20. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090

you must not have a desktop AMD to quote this because it's a marketing stunt made to flip their major weakness around, they are total garbage at idle, AMD, so much that I ended up manually all-core underclocking
    their core control is useless and negative to both perf and power consumption, yes they turn off yes they change clock every 1ms but in the end all it does is add lag, the cpu has to "wake up" something gamers know is atrocious (even years ago on winxp Intel we used utilities to stop cores from "parking") inducing stuttering and unstable fps, you can also see it in work like cinebench where the cpu ramps up, but also all it does at idle is make your cpu or at least part of it run at max speed max voltage seriously heating it up nonstop ! an intel if you really do nothing it's at 800Mhz 0,8V AMD it's at 4,5Ghz and 1,4v on one or more cores....and so my 9900k is at like 30Watts at Idle stock and my AMD is at 108Watts idle stock...full stock...what a lot of reviews and youtubers don't say is that they have to heavily tweak their AMD for it to work "properly"

I switched from Intel to AMD and of course have now a way more powerful pc, from 8 to 24 cores but still...with 4°C outside at 4AM my living room was at 27°C tonight....no heating of course just a threadripper...I never had that with a 9900k but it's lowest power wasn't 80Watts non stop ! and it didn't go up to 280-340Watts either...people need to stop fantasizing about AMD, they are efficient yes but also more powerful so in the end they are way hotter than Intel way way way it's at least like having two Intels running, it's that bad
    I would wait to see a complete review of an AMD laptop before thinking anything bad about intel, AMD this far in my experience is completely unable to handle idle aka most of what you do on a laptop, watching videos typing documents or surfing the web is idle as far as I'm concerned...

you can see how horrible my 3960x was FULL STOCK no bios tweaks no apps no tools ona just installed win10 in the 1st "v1" picture
    the "v4" is from msi creator app (had to stop using it it's beta state bugged as hell and funnily enough I see on various youtube reviews of my motherboard that the app is missing half the functions so "professionnal" reviewers even Paul's hardware etc... didn't even see or know it's not working properly) which basically makes an all core underclock to stop that horrible "amd feature" of on/off and random clocks on cores behavior and force an all core clock, a lower clock and lower voltage something I shouldn't have to do and you don't need to on Intel...without that..enjoy your 57°C, at idle with whatever you have air cooling,aio or custom loop (tried all) I now have a dual 360 rad custom loop...
    AMD stock idle behavior is a 0/10 unusable as far as I'm concerned
    https://www.computerbase.de/forum/a...nterhighperf_several-hours-idling-jpg.868122/
    I really hope AMD is able to fix that for their laptop market and that it will come to desktop cpus
    that's my only complaint about it, no way I would recommend an AMD to a non-overclocker/geek in the current state

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020