Rx Vega 56 Black Screen and Radeon Settings crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xubeiga, Mar 31, 2020.

1. xubeiga

xubeiga Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Hey Guys. Need some help here...weird thing started happening to me.

I had the 19.12.1 driver and it was all okay, then i decided to install the 20.02.2 cause i had recommendations.
    So i did install it and that driver gave me some problems, like games crashing, etc.

But the one that is the worst is: Random black screens while i'm only using the pc. Like surfing on the internet, watching twitch streams and even using the windows explorer to search for files. Then after like 10 seconds the screen wakes up again and then Windows shows me the message "Default Radeon WattMan settings has been restored due to unexpected system failure."

Ok, so i decided lets go back to 19.12.1 where i didnt have this error.
    So i used AMD CleanUp and DDU and installed 19.12.1 again.

But now i am still having this error. Which i didnt have before on 19.12.1
    My GPU is vega 56 sapphire nitro+
    Does anyone know anything about this? It's so annoying :(

2. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    No Blackscreens and settings crash on my vega 56.
    Try in security mode DDU and after AMD cleanup and install the new 20.3.1 with reset settings on install.
    Good luck

3. xubeiga

xubeiga Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    when this happens i have "display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" on event viewer...
    first the screen freezes. then like 15 seconds later the screen turns black. then 5 seconds later it wakes and i have this message on event viewer and my wattman settings restored to default.

4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Open this:
    amdkmdap stopped responding

Posted by @Caenyss
    Sorry for not giving any updates. I managed to fix it and it was indeed a RAM/CPU/MOBO instability issue which caused all kinds of weird events, including the one I started this thread about.

It seems that when I set XMP in BIOS my mobo, for some reason, sets certain voltages WAY too high; in this case VCCIO, System Agent Voltage, PCH Core Voltage and CPU Standby Voltage.

When I lowered those voltages to the standard everything got stable and I haven't had any crashes for a few days now!

5. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    My GPU is vega 56 sapphire pulce with the last new 20.4.1 drivers crash stop.....so far

6. xubeiga

xubeiga Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    idk about that. its not like i just built this pc...i have it for like 3 years with this cpu mobo and ram combo. i have XMP activated since then. And just now this started to happen?

7. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    So why not disable XMP and check? ;)

xubeiga likes this.
  8. IamHim

IamHim Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 8GB
    Hi, depending on you're motherboard mine is a z490-e ROG board there is a setting inside of BOIS called PCIe Clock Gating that needs to be disabled, look it up for you're motherboard if its not the same as mine, this has fully solved the issue with my vega 56 black screen crashing, its actually a power issue not a driver issue.

9. screenager

screenager Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega 64
    I had blackscreen issues with my Vega 64, i fixed it with cleaning and reapply thermal paste.