Microsoft prepares to remove the Classic Control Panel in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2020.

1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    BTW.: I bet the same will happen like back then when they first removed the start menu from Desktop on Win8:
    Some "ClassicShell ControlPanel" will pop up out of the shadows ...

olymind1 likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Dude it's the only thing that made Windows 8 bearable...... and the same is still true with 10.

[​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Exactly. I haven't used the old control panel since Windows 10 came out. Pressing the Windows 10 key or right clicking on the Windows icon gives me everything I want much faster.

metagamer likes this.
  4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I fully agree on Win8 (and 8.1), but if you take 1 minute on Win10 you can uninstall / remove all the pinned apps from the initial start menu and basically have a Win7 start menu with some extras (which I personally enjoy, really).

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no you don't

Order_66 and 386SX like this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    To me the start menu in 10 is superior to 7. For one, its expandable and more configurable. Also can live without the CP easily too, since the applets still exist outside of the CP and can make shortcuts to them. In the natural evolution of things, people will grumble and resist change, but more often than not, when they get used to it things begin to feel more natural or logical.

7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Yes I do. :D

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, you really don't.

Why don't you actually poke around startmenu's on both, or actually, just test with and without start10, the Win7 start menu has numerous things it does better than 10's.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I just like control panel having everything in one place neatly and easily accessible. Settings lacks many things you can access via control panel still. Which is annoying.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    From your point of view. There can`t be objective approach here.

Order_66 and 386SX like this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There isn't an objective approach from anyone claiming 10's start menu is comparable to 7 or 8's.

There is functionality not only changed but also missing in 10's.

Open Location for instance opens the shortcuts location in the startmenu directory, not the applications location on 10, where as it opens the applications location on 7.
    Start folder expanding shows everything on the top level folder even if they are set in additionally deeper paths on 10.
    There are frequent occasions where a newly made shortcut in the Programs root folder will not appear in the start list at all without purging the startmenu's registry cache.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not a single example of missing functionality.

Open Location opening the shortcuts location is more practical action - here you can (1) change the shortcut properties and (2) jump to actual executable file location.

And menu in Win7 not showing everything on the top - obvious minus because you should dig further.

alanm likes this.
  13. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Damn it.. I knew this was coming eventually but I had hoped we were still a few years away from them getting rid of the old control panel.

14. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    On both you click on the logo and it opens. Your argument is invalid. :)

Any statement here is a personal opinion, besides some hard facts (but not in my comment). So why don't you leave my opinion be? What's so important to change it?

Yes, I do have this opinion. If you take a minute you could change the Win10 start menu so it almost looks like the one of Win7, plus some extras on top. That's what I said and believe, therefore I made the comment.

Forcing someone to believe dictated opinions is so 1933 ... ;)

alanm likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, you can't.

Lol. No.

I shouldn't have several hundred shortcuts to scan through in a Startmenu > Games folder that used to break those games down by publisher or studio just because Windows 10 decided to be autistic.

Applications that also have Uninstallers, readme's or webshortcuts created on install which make sense under their own folder but not listed all together.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I was told elsewhere that the control panel will not be removed, just hidden... more than it already is... for the reason of.. "so people don't go messing with things they don't understand"......

Has Microsoft said anything officially what the intent is regarding the Control Panel?

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Astyanax

LOL Yes. I have plenty of free time so I can continue "YES - NO" contest if it pleases you.

I don`t get the obsession with start menu at all. Since WinXP I use it may be once in several months. All shortcuts I need (no more than 20) I have at my desktop and taskbar.

What are you talking about
    [​IMG]
    - there are folders in start menu, and there is no Games folder in my start menu.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Where can I get Win 10 1933?

386SX and mbk1969 like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There is if you use your OS given right to create and organise directories within the start menu.

Put Uningine Folder and UL folders into a toplevel Benchmarks folder and watch all of them be mixed together.

Its no wonder people have no idea whats missing when they never even went about organizing their programs menu structure.

Example, the structure below would instead list every shortcut for every sub folder under 3D Performance Tools on W10. This wasn't always the case, up until about Creators update, it still had the expected folder chain

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    LMFAO, so you create chaos in your start menu yourself!