Download: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Dener de Paula Pereira

Dener de Paula Pereira Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Thanks!

2. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    heroes of the storm with v sync in full screen exhibits below 60 fps with v sync enabled (monitor 60 hz) untill you alt tab(first time you open the game).
    This problem dont exist in window mode or with ris enabled.

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Is anyone notice that if you undervolt your 5700xt and increase the Power limit higher then 10% or 20%+ you lose your undervolt settings?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This has been issue for a while.

5. Michael Lange

Michael Lange Member

GPU:
    Navi
    No.
    Navi_OCandUV.png

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  6. Dener de Paula Pereira

Dener de Paula Pereira Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Yeah
    Me too, but i'm on vega

7. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

Still getting random down clocks causing my games to pause for a few seconds.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Just a thing with Navi, unless you use a earlier GPU model where it should be possible to lock a P state as the minimum one to force the card to maintain clock speeds.
    I don't know the hardware details or how the software handles it but from my experience so far with the card if it's not 90+ ideally 98-99% GPU utilization it will drop clock speeds and it will drop them hard so a CPU bound API or game and core clock speeds will be all over from boost values to high or mid clocks or at worst low or even near idle speeds.

I assume it can be patched or "hacked" around and force a higher min speed or lower drop but beyond that it just seems to be how the hardware operates with this new variant of OverDrive and Power Play plus existing driver issues including Wattman like the posts above here mention making the issue worse.

Wrapping through DXVK can help but it will stutter as the game builds up a shader cache both from DXVK and the driver itself for Vulkan plus it won't pass anti-cheat protected software.
    VSR can also be used but it's buggy since a few months back and in many titles whether D3D9 or D3D11 or the low-level ones there's reports about how it causes erratic framerate and frame times by frequently stuttering or hitching which is resolved in the 19.11.3 drivers or earlier.

EDIT: I looked it up back before but I don't remember exactly how it went but there's no effective way of altering the GPU's behavior at least unless the drivers introduce something so you can set a min clock speed or disable the power saving measurement and downclocking behavior which I don't think AMD will implement.

Card does operate nicely with D3D12 and Vulkan but that's probably also partially due to the lessened CPU overhead with D3D11 and particularly D3D9 or OpenGL where clock speeds can at times drop down to idle levels which should never happen in an active 3D workload.

More work to be done alright but will it be doable or will it be a hardware flaw that would need NVIDIA or AMD RDNA2 well can't really say but it certainly remains one of the larger issues with Navi GPU's due to this behavior.

Pretty certain the min clock state in Wattman also still isn't effective other than the voltage curve but once the card downclocks it uses some other means of whatever it lands at for effective clock speeds.
    It's better but not perfect and from what I have gathered of how it works I don't know if it can be though the firmware and drivers can be pretty flexible should AMD opt to implement overrides so there's always that but it seems unlikely.

EDIT: Well it could still happen but it's a bit late considering it's been there since the card launched and the issue hits several incredibly popular (Millions of players.) online games which can't exactly be good for how AMD looks and then how NVIDIA looks when these now run much better comparably so just from that this little performance issue should have been a pretty high priority fix.

EDIT: So games like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Counter Strike Global Operations, League of Legends, Day of the Ancients(?) and oh Minecraft yeah that one too plus others.

I can't really know but if this was a quick little software fix or override I would have expected it to have been implemented long ago which at least to me is telling for how complicated this particular problem is for how much it can do when so many players can't get these to perform satisfactory on AMD GPU's which well that at least should be a pretty big issue for them and turn to a big priority fix but that didn't happen even months after the card launched.

We'll see but I expect the root issue to be a fairly complicated problem from how many are affected by this downclock issue and what it's doing for AMD's already struggling GPU market share and will continue to do until it gets fixed.
    (It does look pretty bad after all when your hardware is promoting users to buy the competitors hardware putting it mildly.)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Direfield, olymind1 and BlitzTown like this.
  9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I still like the card itself and what it can do and when it does perform as it should well it's clear that at least for gaming AMD is onto something when it can compete against the Radeon VII and with the 5500's and 5600's there's a lesser cost and still high performing alternative but there are shortcomings and it's been nine - ten months now for some of these issues so it is what it is, price/performance and AMD/NVIDIA it kinda doesn't work if the actual hardware can't perform as expected and if RDNA2 is still going to have AMD's driver team focusing more on Vulkan and D3D12 plus the split between GCN, RDNA and now RDNA2 and the existing driver issues and regressions both Navi related but also Vega and Polaris and earlier plus the well the flagship card of Radeon VII that's getting a bit neglected this is going to be a issue.

Bigger team size and more of a budget I would hope help but the GPU division has a bit of pressure on them and the driver situation is a problem as well.
    There's the usual problems and rough start for these new architectures and all that but it's been a year soon and that's far too long for a card that might/might not behave as it's expected plus a variety of concerns and problems for both Windows and Linux on the driver side of things both for Navi/RDNA and earlier GCN hardware.

I suppose AMD also can't outright state or say too much either or some really sensitive stock situation and share holder issues might happen which could be one possible thing behind why a few of these problems go almost unmentioned or it took AMD a long time to respond and actively acknowledge that yeah there is a problem. Well listed or unlisted the known issues do need work so hopefully the newer April and on drivers will turn things around so it won't be too bad once the RDNA2 GPU's launch if they're going to need priority and these current issues will just remain unfixed.
    (If NVIDIA gets their 3000 series of GPU's out in a similar timeframe that is going to be a problem plus they can sell off current stocks for Pascal and Turing which still hold up but that's just speculative for now.)

Well I'm trying to be a bit neutral and less biased but it's kinda hard not to be somewhat negative at least for both how the situation was handled initially and that so many issues persist.
    There's no real good solution either far as that goes, freezing driver development and focusing on bug fixes has it's downsides and stuff like new features or support for additional games and all that plus Windows and Linux OS stuff would lag behind and whatever the D3D driver code looks like could take months to rework if not longer so even with multiple teams working on the driver side of this that's a pretty massive undertaking and one that would also take a very long time.
    (It took a year I believe for NVIDIA when they did a more large scale overhaul of the D3D11 driver code so that should say something on the scope for a larger team with more resources.)

Driver stability has at least shown a good improvement so that's positive but there's more that needs to be looked over and if at all possible unless the hardware really is that locked in how it behaves well this downclock issue is going to be a tough problem to resolve and while I'd be positively surprised by it I wouldn't expect too much to change for the upcoming jump for the WDDM 2.7 drivers and support for Windows 10 20H1 / Build 19041 but I guess we will see how this all goes over the next weeks and months.
    (But that does also mean more waiting or exchanging the GPU for those who are dealing with this issue and others.)

Oof yeah that was a lot of text again, there's been several fixes and major improvements both to features and stability but more remains so well hopefully newer drivers will make a difference but so far the situation isn't exactly looking that good though things could change though being optimistic almost a year into this situation isn't that easy anymore although that might also put bit of pressure on AMD to get this sorted out.
    But just stating there are hardware limits or flaws and other statements and whoop there goes the stock prices well those guys there and the share holders sure are sensitive as per usual. Well there's more to it than just that but that's also a bit of a thing I'd imagine for the current situation and not tanking the growth even if much is also thanks to Zen on the CPU side of AMD's investments and efforts. :)

EDIT: I like the GPU it has it's flaws and issues and hopefully the driver situation improves but it's going to be a challenge.

Well I could have summarized it like that I guess..eh it is complicated and that's probably being quite generous for whatever the situation over at AMD is for some of these ongoing problems.
    (They might not be saying too much but it still has to have some impact and effect after all plus for how much time has passed and having some of these issues still active.)

EDIT: Well this is just going to look silly but eh, so yeah the randomness and toughness of replicating some of the problems also add to this process and all complications which is stating the obvious but while some issues should be easy to replicate not all of them are and that's probably another piece of this little puzzle and the driver situation.

Just speculation and rumors really, plus a ton of error reports and listed issues some of which aren't too hard to replicate others well they're far tougher to set up a scenario for and get it resolved.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    cross fingers for future RDNA2 owners that they don't have 6 months of issues.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it might be part of the console hardware but the desktop PC situation isn't going to be the same so that's a big question mark for how the launch of RDNA2 / Navi20 will be on AMD's side of the next-gen GPU architecture and now that NVIDIA is also on the 7nm arch and has whatever improvements will be part of Ampere for desktop it's going to be a tough situation for AMD's GPU division so this software side of things would have to be in good shape.

Just have to wait and see, Fine Wine indeed...finally wine perhaps once they finish stomping it out ha ha.

Undying likes this.
  12. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Damn It!

Still getting the games not starting or crashing instantly with memory allocation errors

this is if i have used the system for other things before playing a game

Gonna have to try a win 10 install i guess, my system only takes like 10 - 15 secs to boot but man it is doing my head in

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    have you tried replacing DRAM?

14. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    sorry i didnt put it clearer

it is gpu memory allocation errors

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Can you explain how you concluded this?

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    But have you checked your system RAM with a memory checker?

How do you know it's the GPU giving memory errors?

17. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Because i get an error about directx 12 unable to allocate vram ect ect

18. UkOldGit

UkOldGit Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Red Devil 5700xt
    GPU driver 20.4.1

Still cannot play Mordern Warfare in full screen mode using Display Port, it causes screen corruption.
    Plays ok if set to full screen borderless.

Been like this for nearly all the 2020 drivers.
    No acknowledgement of the problem.

19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    @UkOldGit hello, could you please capture a screenshot of screen corruption?
    Does it happen only in this game?

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    NVIDIA is at 10nm for Ampere, then 7nm for next-gen....
    To compete with RDNA2 they need big guns +500mm2 Chips with Lots of Cores ;)
    Anyways we need to wait for actual products from both camps & reviews.

JonasBeckman likes this.