Steam changes its automatic update system to free up bandwidth for ISPs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yep, The best brains at Valve came up with this solution to battle Corona. My god!

Instead of really contributing Valve, like

• giving away games for free to stimulate people stay at home. I know some games have been give out for free, but Valve had nothing to do with that at all.
    • capping the bandwidth yourself (and not let it be decided by the end user, who can probably just press download).
    • donating to the red cross or special deals where certain percentage goes to the red cross.

you came up with this ?!? These were probably features that were coming up anyways.

RzrTrek, Embra and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    They could not have did this a week ago before the steam auto update broke my modded Beat Saber, i was top of the leaderboards for Who wants to be a millionaire theme. lol

4. G0dly

G0dly Member

GPU:
    1080 TI
    Would be nice if they just added an option to default games not to auto-update, it's a pain having to deselect the option after every install

5. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Is this even a problem? Here in Florida, at least, internet performance is totally normal.

6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The internet bandwidth problem is mostly for the countries that do not have a strong network, for example italy.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Probably depends a lot where you live, how many people are on the same connection, node and stuff like that. I have friends who have reported differences within the same city we all live in.

8. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    don't tell anyone but...you can change the country you download from in steam settings, it won't change your end of the line but not spamming your low bandwith country server will definitely help you, countries clearly aren't equals
    I see speeds above 1Gbit/s from steam (I'm super lucky to have 10Gbit internet) so on their end there's no problem or slowdown I noticed

their delayed update doesn't seem to work unless you have steam on startup and constantly up, for me all it does is pile 10-20 "to be updated tomorrow" games but it never does and I have to manually click it so I suddenly download 300Gbs...

I did rediscover steam thx to that news tough, the library management is super easy, you can remove those damn "free license" games I had stuck in my library for years and you can set up different steam library folders/drives
    which renews what I knew already that all other launchers are awful, I can't imagine having 600 games like me on one of their plateforms (mostly free VR stuff or bundle games, apps you definitely want to be able to sort and categorize)
    for someone who often re-install OS I can also tell you that steam is unmatched on that aspect, you reinstall steam in your "steam" folder (which should never be on C: ) it self-updates and bam you can play again, all the others best case scenario you have to scan your installed folders, worst case scenario re-download everything !

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

I think Valve should get rid off the whole automatic update system, or at the very least give us the option to fully opt-out (without having to use offline mode). I know of a few games where you can roll back to an earlier patch/version, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a good example, but then again there's only one native Linux build and there're other ways.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Because 1 out of 100 folks prefer it backwards? The default should be auto update. There should be toggle to stop game updates globally. However as many games are version dependent even if the online component is not used, that could be unworkable as the default.

Getting rid of the auto updating for games would be absurd. Many, as I posted, rely upon version checking even if you don't use the MP component. I could see a user selectable toggle...but why?