Vulkan does not work , help please.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Lo8ster, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Lo8ster

Lo8ster Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI 4gb
    А couple of months ago, Vulcan simply refused to work in all games, deleting the drivers and vuklan using DDU didn't help.
    DXDiag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ahpKzmef4wku4tVnsmEo_fEV3iPM_JzB/view?usp=sharing
    Crash log:
    Callstack Function(desc) Line Bytes File Process Address
    --------------------------- ---- ----- ---- ------- -------
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x3b6632fd bdcamvk64.dll
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x384375dc fpsmonvk64.dll
    vk_icdNegotiateLoaderICDInterfaceVersion() ... + 0x20bd2a71 nvoglv64.dll
    vkDestroyDescriptorPool() ... + 0x2fceaa87 vulkan-1.dll
    vkDestroyDescriptorPool() ... + 0x2fcf1166 vulkan-1.dll
    vkDestroyDescriptorPool() ... + 0x2fcfca0d vulkan-1.dll
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x3eddeffa DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x3ede1098 DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x3ede81af DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x3ef0c845 DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x3f08ba55 DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x3e8b8ce1 DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x3e8b92a2 DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
    ** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x40970637 DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
    BaseThreadInitThunk() ... + 0x59297bd4 KERNEL32.DLL
    RtlUserThreadStart() ... + 0x593eced1 ntdll.dll

Register Info
    ---------------------------
    RAX: 0x0000024C8A551200 RCX: 0x0000000000000000 RDX: 0x0000000000000008
    RBX: 0x00007FFD4FE61860 RSP: 0x0000006C351F2800 RBP: 0x0000006C351F37D0
    RSI: 0x0000006C351F3770 RDI: 0x0000006C351F3788 R8: 0x0000000000000020
    R9: 0x00007FFD3B682E10 R10: 0x0000024C8A551210 R11: 0x0000006C351F26C0
    R12: 0x0000000000000000 R13: 0x0FFFFFFFFFFFFF00 R14: 0x0000000000000000
    R15: 0x00007FFD4FE61770 RIP: 0x00007FFD3B6632FD EFlags: 0x00010206

Exception Info
    ExpCode: 0xC0000005 (Access Violation)
    ExpFlags: 0
    ExpAddress: 0x00007FFD3B6632FD

Build & Runtime Info
    User: lobster
    Version: 20200313-173912-viridian-salmon
    File Path: D:\Stem\steamapps\common\DOOMEternal\DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
    System Time: 20/3/2020 17:18:56
    Build String: 20200313-173912-viridian-salmon
    VT File Path:
    Launch Command: DOOMEternalx64vk.exe +com_enableCrashHandler 0 +com_enableCrashHandler 1

Memory Info
    In Use: 42%
    MB Physical RAM: 8184
    MB Physical Free: 4740
    MB Paging File: 16376
    MB Paging Free: 10522
    MB User Address: 134217728
    MB User Free: 134212003

CPU Info
    Num Packages: 1
    Num Cores: 4
    Num Logical: 4
    CPU ID: Generic
    CPU MHz: 3779

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    What NV driver version are you using?

What other Vulkan games do you have and do they all give an Access Violation error?

You could try adding the executable as an exception to your antivirus software.

3. Lo8ster

Lo8ster Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI 4gb
    Driver: 442.74
    Other games: RDR2, DOOM(2016), doom has the same crash, rdr2 just doesn't start.
    I dont have an antivirus.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I can see Bandicam - bdcamvk64.dll - and I can see a FPS monitoring software - fpsmonvk64.dll -, exit those first and see how that goes, could also try to update the Vulkan runtime manually but it shouldn't be required though it is backwards compatible. :)

I can also see what looks like a launcher possibly from the game, I just renamed it and started the exe directly but chances are the bounce from that to the actual game could also interfere with these hooks and third party programs unless added to the exception list assuming these tools actually have one. :)

EDIT: Command line could also work, due to some issues with it I'm using that to throw out the Steam overlay from Vulkan.

set DISABLE_VK_LAYER_VALVE_steam_overlay_1=1
    set DISABLE_VK_LAYER_VALVE_steam_fossilize_1=1
    @start "" "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOMEternal\DOOMEternalx64vk.exe" +com_skipIntroVideo 1

Disabling the overlay, shader cache Steam thing and then just launching the game and throwing out the intro video because I dislike those and prefer to disable them wherever possible. :p

That's a bit more complicated though, involves the various .JSON files and finding their names and toggling them off.

SteamOverlayVulkanLayer64.json

So the disable call is invoked and that leaves the program running but it won't be adding to another Vulkan layer for the game to try loading.

Or just turn third party programs off and see how that goes. Either one works really.

EDIT: And I forgot this.
    https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home#windows

VulkanRT.exe (Not the actual full SDK just the loader/runtime.) latest would be 1.2.131.2

Backwards compatible, mostly compatibility related (Newer SDK's / Vulkan API software.) but the occasional bug fixes makes it in every now and then.

pharma and Lo8ster like this.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah and these could also be using layers so they don't have to be explicitly running they just need to have written the JSON file to the registry.

That's located here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\Vulkan\ImplicitLayers

So in my case two are added by Steam for again the overlay enabling Vulkan compatibility and the Fossilize feature which I believe relates to the shader cache and then I'm a ReShade user so that has a entry too.

So the game or other Vulkan API software starts the Vulkan runtime or loader gets this data and loads the info with it which can be difficult to observe at first since you might not have the programs running in the background they could just have entries here. :)

EDIT: Renaming these could also work either the JSON files or possibly smoother by just renaming these directly in the registry, rename them back after testing if it worked and I wouldn't delete any unknown entries those could be from the display driver itself or other useful additions. :)

EDIT: Plus a secondary path for WoW3264 or how it's called for 32-bit / x86 software but that's unrelated here as DOOM Eternal (And RDR2) are 64-bit.

EDIT: Troubleshooting and third party programs and compatibility, like injectors and .dll files and what have you but now taken a step further and made more complex, not always easy but hopefully it ends up being a issue between Bandicam and the game or Bandicam the game and the display driver and working around allowing Bandicam (Or the FPS monitoring software.) loading into DOOM Eternal or other Vulkan processes will confirm it.

Making it compatible and playing nice is a different issue though and could be a pain unfortunately.

EDIT: Well that answers it from the below post, nice little Github report of the issue and all. :D

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    pharma, Lo8ster, Caesar and 1 other person like this.
  7. Lo8ster

Lo8ster Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI 4gb
    I deleted bandicam and update vulkan runtime... AND it worked. Thank you all for your help.

AsiJu likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Glad you got it working and props to @JonasBeckman for identifying those extra .dll's.

I saw them too but didn't know they were external plugins.

9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well somewhat, I recognized Bandicam and was thinking around recording compatibility but not very well, seeing that there is a issue report for it leave it to emulators I suppose to do the deep diving and some pretty spectacular implementation and usage of these low level API's thus giving the coders some really impressive skill with both the API itself and also the driver side and compatibility for programs over time. :D
    (Goes for the CPU usage and features leveraged here too for that matter.)

NVIDIA appears to be doing well following feedback and listening to reports, AMD seems a bit more mixed but that's less important as in this case it wasn't a driver error as such it was third party program compatibility, glad to see it got resolved. :)

10. jolly

jolly Guest

GPU:
    RTX2060

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    provide the vulkan log output for the crash.

13. jolly

jolly Guest

GPU:
    RTX2060
    Hi, thanks for your responses but i didn't find bandicam in program list nor in the program files folders. How can i found it ?
    Also didn"t find vulkan log (only uela or licence txt), where is it hiddden ?

and i repost the dxdiag which, i'm very sorry for those who take the time to read it, was an old one,
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a7u02ACJ1r_2mkJLQn71ghsII87aU9Fm

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    igp driver is one of the earlier dch ones, but i don't see anything to mention in the dxdiag.

15. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    have you disabled windows gamebar?

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    For the BDFilters file it looks like it's usually found here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BandiMPEG1

A search for the .dll could also help locate it but if it's not from BandiCam itself (Since it didn't seem to be installed.) something else must be using it like a codec which then interferes although if that's some media player program, pack or other recording utility I wouldn't know.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The game isn't being dumb and loading the Intel iGPU early is it? Since it's listed first and all which has been a problem though a temporary disabling of it from the device manager could help.
    Think the Intel drivers also had *very* varying support for Vulkan and certain extensions so even the newer drivers might hit a snag if the game doesn't immediately go for the dedicated GPU.

EDIT: There might be a way to prefer to select the dedicated GPU or have settings that attempts this but some software is well kinda dumb or simple and just take the first listed device thus disabling it from the device manager temporarily to force usage of the dedicated GPU.

Alternatively the bios but that shouldn't be needed to fully disable iGPU support. :)

You also have the C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\idSoftware folder I believe and perhaps a log file from the game itself although the Bethesda or id Software launcher has a crash handler inbuilt so if that is running it suppresses this for it's own silent error management which means no log or other details.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it doesn't work on the Intel GPU so there's a possibility here at least.

From a benchmark on the game.
    EDIT: Maybe newer drivers could help, DXGI has this.

Those are probably too old for support for these newer Vulkan extensions if that's the only issue.
    (The idea being the game is actually allowed to load up and use the dedicated GPU not crash immediately from missing support of Vulkan 1.1 and related extensions for newer VLK games or software.)

NVIDIA ones look fine, 17th March 2020 :)

EDIT:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/intel-integrated-graphics-drivers/

March 26th 2020 :)

EDIT: Yeah the January 2020 release notes mention Vulkan 1.2 support so that and newer hopefully has a very up to date and robust VLK 1.0 and 1.1 code base meaning no problems compared to the May 28th 2019 driver from the DXGI log.

Or bypassing it but if it can be made to work or at least jump to the dedicated GPU without crashing that'd be ideal without losing any advantages that a iGPU provides.
    (Or having to fiddle with the bios or the device manager.)

EDIT: Windows Update can also work.
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=26.20.100.7870

It's not the latest though it's the prior February driver.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    generally if its going to interfere with Vulkan, you'll find it in the registry under HKLM\Software\Khronos\Vulkan\xxxLayers

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah that's true the layers and how that is handled for Vulkan, would be simpler to just remove or rename them that way if it's loaded through a JSON and can then be found in the registry instead of hunting down files and whatever is running it. :)
    (Since it's all in a single path here, well there's one for 32-bit too but it doesn't apply here as both DOOM Eternal and Red Dead Redemption 2 are 64-bit.)

EDIT: Though being named bdfilters64.dll it sounds like a Bandicam .dll for some audio or video related processing or filter effect being loaded but it could still be related to whatever is added through a layer which then activates these files.

Err not the best explanation but hopefully not just a codec type file loading up and activating for the logo videos or a sound file.
    Guessing it's part of the overall software though so it's not like hunting down something like LAV or anything like that and setting up exceptions or a blacklist for certain processes or specific audio or video formats like BINK. :)

EDIT: Probably over complicating it again, not everything is some all injecting third party program (Like corsair CUE/iCUE and some others.) that tries to load into every software whether it should or not.

Also just to mention it the layers are also used by for example the Steam client for overlay compatibility and even the display driver could be using this method so best to check and rename only the problematic ones instead of trying to clear the entire registry key. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020