DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Okay, missed this but th you're on about "fooled"?

Perhaps your eye is more trained to notice this but that is condescending and just silly regardless.

I will any day play a game that's fun to play and runs great over a game that looks great but runs bad and/or plays badly.

Why are you so stubborn to bash this game and the people who play it?

Like I said, you said this isn't your game, fine.
    Let the rest of us enjoy our games with outdated tech with our high framerates.

Or as you put it let us be "fooled" then.

2. Yes, I agree with you completely there. I 100% prefer visuals.
    Honestly, I've played so many games in my life that I'm having a really hard time to find any game that I would consider fun anymore. The tech is what I do and what I love. Every game is mostly a tech demo for me. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from playing DE and I don't even believe it's possible. If it's fun for you then by all means play it! I'm simply trying to point out some things other ppl might be missing or might go unnoticed.

3. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    I would love that all cutscenes are form first person view...
    That is great in DOOM 2016...

And those cuts when game shows you what door has been opened... It interupts the flow!

Duke Nil and angelgraves13 like this.
  4. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    Quick-fix patch from Bethesda. So there goes the answer to my question regarding screenshot save location [​IMG]

Hey all,
    We are currently deploying a small update for PC. Here are the patch notes for that update:
    DOOM Eternal - PC patch release notes:
    - Fixed crash affecting some users during the final level
    - Fixed Photo Mode images not saving on PC
    - Photo Mode images now save here: C:\Users\<UserName>\Saved Games\id Software\DOOMEternal\base\screenshots
    - Improved regional availability of game servers when matchmaking as a team

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    This game is a singleplayer for the most part,so im happy if im getting 100 fps only

6. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    The other thing that bugged me were the pop-ups at the start of boss fights that freeze the game and explain how to beat them before you've gotten a chance to try and figure it out, or even gotten a good look at them.

Fortunately there's a setting for this but I didn't think to look for it until it had already happened a few times, and there's not that many bosses overall.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Fair enough :)

I'm (almost) the opposite, gameplay / fun factor is where it's at for me, in shooters in particular. Not to say I don't appreciate graphics or the related tech.

8. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i disagree badly on the graphics issue, because i think Eternal looks very solid and runs smooth as butter.
    Doom was always about killing demons with that familiar atmosphere, not about Ray Tracing and\or
    breaking graphics barriers like Control or RDR2. again - that's my own personal take on Eternal..
    iv finished it, rated it on previous comments, and i won't hesitate to play it again very soon.
    yes, graphics are important these days, but its meaningless if the game is empty ( e.g Andromeda ).
    luckily Eternal is far from being empty.

AsiJu and angelgraves13 like this.
  9. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I have two questions about this game.

1) Is a bethesda account required to play this game? I.e. Is Bethesda going like EA/Ubisoft/Rockstar - you purchase on steam to have to have another launcher?

2) Anyone else with a Fury, how is it running on your card?

10. Well you may not remember ID software as I do. I remember playing Doom 1 on my 486 very well. It was ground-breaking engine at that time. Doom 2 extended its possibilities and that engine was used by many other games. Then Quake 1, which allowed for fully 3D environment, including 3D NPCs... once again not seen in any other FPS. Later Quake got a patch and it was among first 3D accelerated games. Then Quake 2 as a first game to have fully colored lights and I believe it also had support for 32bit colors. Then Quake 3 with awesome LOD system for curved surfaces. And last but not least the Doom 3 with fully dynamic lighting and shadowing. All lights did cast shadows at that time... that was never seen before and they also introduced ubershaders and usage of normal maps. Believe me it's a real pain in the ass to do a game engine for complex shadowing using stencil shadows :) The last unique technology that John Carmack brought us was "megatexture". Even with all its issues :)

So, from my perspective, Doom and Quake games were always about bringing something new to the table. At this point I'm beginning to believe that it was just John Carmack pushing the technology...

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It does require a bethesda.net account, but does not use another launcher.
    You log into bethesda.net in game, and the game launchers through Steam only.

Truder and angelgraves13 like this.
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    AsiJu and drandiiski like this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    As Damien mentioned it does require bethesda account but once you've done you can run it on steam.

As for Fury this is a quote from pchardware "GTX 980 Ti is also becoming increasingly dusty, even the Radeon R9 Fury X, which is equipped with little graphics memory, performs remarkably in proportion".

Truder likes this.
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Played a bit more yesterday (completed mission 4) and the game is starting to click / flow even better. Now it feels the balance between difficulty and fun is achieved.

Extended arsenal means you do start getting more choice in combat = more freedom = even more fun.

I aced the Doom Hunter bossfight(s) and felt that fight was pretty perfect, at least on HMP difficulty.
    Actually considered bumping back up to UV but unless the game becomes really easy later on, I think I'll do the first run on HMP. Now the game is where I want it to be.

I also played the beginning of Mission 5 and the "boosted" fight inside that flesh thing was really fun!
    I died a few times but it didn't feel cheap, rather kept me pushing on and the even more frantic pace was quite something.

Turns out you can't chainsaw boosted Nightmare Imps, learned that the hard way...

So yes, there clearly is a difficulty spike in mission 3 and I'm not sure it's an entirely balanced one either but anyone, like me, experiencing frustration there just push past it.
    And do drop difficulty if needed, even if temporarily.

Mission 4 is already way better. I was worried my progress would grind to a halt there but the opposite happened.

I'm not deliberately doing anything that differently either, now than I were before but regardless the game flows better now. Meaning now it's extra-uber great!
    Maybe I use jump pads more instinctively and ofc the arsenal becomes more familiar the more you play.

Carfax likes this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Lols at the UAC Spokesperson dialogues:

"Sometimes evolution needs a little push and here at UAC, we push HARD!"
    "UAC, bridging the gap between humanity and eternity"
    "The Doom Slayer has entered the facility, all mortally challenged be adviced"

:D

16. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Got a link to the review?

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Tech was pretty crazy back then, early 2000 - 2001 and the showcase of the idTech4 / DOOM 3 engine blew just about everything away and then from memory just a year later we'd see Half-Life 2 and the Source Engine another year or two after that D3D9 established itself and jumping into shader model 2.0 and later 3.0 from initial wow factors like Morrowind and D3D8 using pixel shaded water to all sorts of games and game engines with Unreal Engine 3 eventually gaining a sort of dominance I suppose.

Well that goes for the earlier years too but I was much too young to remember them directly, 1994 - 1996 and early home computer 3D accelerator hardware jumping from DOOM to Quake must have been huge to say nothing of home console systems using these like the N64 and Playstation 1 and on.

On that note the way to do texture loading and streaming from what Rage attempted I believe is a bit like the tech for D3D12 and Vulkan although I don't think many games have actually used it, yet.
    Well probably still different in it's own regard with that singular huge texture and loading parts of it to "paint" the entire environment over or something to that effect, not just memory saving though for the consoles and their memory constraints it was probably pretty nifty even if total texture size and in-game resulting texture resolution could be a bit more varied.

EDIT: Video itself would be this.

DOOM 2016 and idTech6 and 6.5 and now 7 here from the engine team led by Tiago Sousa is doing a pretty good job too particularly with Vulkan though as a AMD GPU user yeah it's a biased compared against the serviceable and compatible but not quite as fast as competing OpenGL support ha ha.

Though for DOOM 3 the E3 presentation (And the leakage of that alpha build I suppose.) was likely a bigger wow factor than the early engine demo and initial concepts and designs although things like real time shadows and dynamic lighting was already in place.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    angelgraves13 and Turanis like this.
  19. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I've just reached the Gore nest and really have got to say the look and feel of the levels in this game is on a different level to those of Doom 2016. The combat is finally starting to click, I am still finding that I enter frantic find anything that works mode but the Doom Slayer battle actually flowed pretty well for me I managed to Ace it first time using the a carfeul combination of controlled weapon switching and frantic oh sh*t what has ammo left and will work.

On the other hand the platforming level mobility challenges still haven't clicked. Doom 2016 found a better balance between frantic combat split between slower transition areas Eternal is either way to slow paced trying to work out where to go next and how to manipulate the level design to get there and balls to the wall combat.

angelgraves13 likes this.