X58 boot errors

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by BLEH!, Mar 22, 2020.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Hey Gurus

Trying to set up my old X58 rig as a home server/folding rig (I have loads of DDR3 around, no spare DDR4, hence the choice), but I'm having a few issues getting it running.

Getting a boot hitch with known good RAM. It cycles through 02 3A 01 B8 on the error codes. Naked board (ASUS P6T7 WS) gives the standard one long two short beeps with no DIMMS present. Tried clearing CMOS and all the other usual tricks. It booted once, then froze and went back to doing that cycle.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    what ram? not mixed is it?

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Issue even with 1 DIMM present.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you might have overtightened the cpu heatsink.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    if he did pc wont wont boot at all.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Don't think that's possible, I'm using the stock intel heatsink. CPU hasn't been removed from the socket either, so there's no chance of dirty contacts or bent pins.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Less thinking, more trying everything.

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Will have to try reseating the CPU.

10. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    board could be dying as well....had to retire my asus x58 little over a year ago cause they wont last forever

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Worked fine last time I used it, been in storage for a year and a bit (in box, anti static bag, not banged or anything)

12. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    trust me it happens....matter of fact i had one crap out after being being turned off for several months while i was away at work. (before that it was fine) some of these boards have millions of hours of usage. (got about 10 years out of my last asus board) Thats why im sticking with asus:)

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    boards don't go bad while powered off or in storage.

low/dead cmos battery can cause boot issues though.

BLEH! likes this.
  14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Normally boards will boot if there's no BIOS battery, though, just reverting to standard defaults.

15. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    They absolutely can show possible issues after being powered off.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  17. ChaosHusky

ChaosHusky Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti, 970
    Indeed boards can go bad in storage etc.. However i've had ASUS boards die on me in use or act up, though my Gigabyte X58 boards are still fine i got rid of the dodgy ASUS one.. Hate to say it but ASUS aren't that good in terms of hardware which is why i -avoid- them. Don't mean to be a dick, of course.. But a dying/dead CMOS battery can indeed cause issues. The aforementioned, quite old Gigabyte one wouldn't stay shut down or retain clock settings (of course) until i changed the battery.. Now when it's told to shut down, it shuts down! However, whilst it seems the ASUS board is the prime target here, do you have any other machines, CPUs, RAM etc you can test your components in? I'm doing the same as you, using an older rig to fold whilst i'm using my main one! I have a Xeon in my good old X58/Socket 1366 board.. The ASUS one i had (Rampage III Formula) didn't overclock as well, wasn't as friendly with RAM and was unstable with a few things versus the older Gigabyte one i have, plus the onboard sound on that board died for no reason! Didn't even last 10 years without problems.. But that's besides the point. Is the installed CPU Nehalem or Westmere?

Also, not all boards will boot or boot properly without a battery.. I've worked with 100s, if not thousands, so they do throw you the odd curve ball, even the sudden incompatibility with a card that works fine in all your other machines, etc.. It may also help to see if you can get a modded BIOS, but at the moment it seems you can't even get that far.. Don't forget the RAM controller is inside the CPU, leaving the CPU installed isn't a good idea for any motherboard, LGA or PGA, as this can cause the pins to 'stay too low' if you like and with sockets it can 'stretch the holes' meaning they never contact properly again.. Not common, but does happen! Were you overclocking or running the RAM/controller/QPI massively outside of spec before suddenly stopping use? It does seem one big killer is taking something that's been hammered for years, then suddenly flat out stopping use! Even if it doesn't actually flat out die, it'll be temperamental for a while until stability is reached.. Could even be bad capacitors! Have you checked all of this? I do have a few spare CPUs for that socket kicking around (my old i7 920 and 950 plus a Xeon L something or other that came out of the dual socket server i upgraded) lol

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Thanks for the extended reply!

Weird, I've had the opposite, only ever had issues with Gigabyte boards, this ASUS one has been rock solid.

I'll try changing the battery, see if that fixes it.

The CPU is Westmere (W3680).

I have looked for modded BIOSes for this board, but not had any luck on that front.

This is true, never seen/heard of any of that, though. The thing was quite heavily OCed (4.4 GHz core, 2 GHz RAM) before, now trying to run at stock. CPU has unlocked multi, so QPI was stock 6.4 GHz. Didn't really need to overvolt the uncore to get there, only core.

It's got solid caps (according to the blurb), so I don't think that's the issue.

No spare CPUs to test, sadly.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Oh, have you installed the necessary bios mod?

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes they can. Caps degrade over time, even when not in use.

What "necessary" BIOS mod are YOU talking about?