Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint May 9 reveal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 4, 2019.

1. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Maybe it's just my circle of friends, but we didn't buy that game for its campaign, we bought it for its multiplayer. The game could be rated 1/10 by everyone all over the world, but if my friends and I are having a good time, then those ratings mean nothing. Getting to play with people you haven't played with in a decade trumps any ratings. That's my 2 pennies.

signex likes this.
  2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Good was waiting on the next patch before continuing although from the last status update I read they're having another patch shortly after this one for further fixes, kinda weird to not just make a single 1.0.3 for late November but I guess it allows for maybe fixing and correcting some reported issues from 1.0.3 here and whatever is next after these updates and trying to turn things around whether it works or not I guess we'll see.

4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Sounds like this was a complete flop, for those who enjoyed playing the first one with a friend (or spouse like me) is the second one also enjoyable in that way?

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The normal game up until level 30 and world tier 1 is solid for what's on offer and then it gets a bit repetitive doing the other strongholds until world tier 4 plus tidal basin as the world tier 5 unlocker which the progression from tiers sees item scaling and a few modifiers the grinding also sets in a bit as you optimize builds and items for gear levels and run content on different difficulty levels plus the daily challenges for the various "class" specializations and getting these skilled up which outside of the season pass includes a bit of a grind for the steps to unlock the gunner and technician additional specializations.

Exotics are few and rare to drop and some require specific crafting to unlock and sets aren't that great short of specific builds or group synergies during co-op or raid so for the added content it's more effective to run the current missions in a short amount of time than do stuff like Pentagon or the Institute though they can be fun to see at least once.

Side quests and all that also work well though these can't be replayed unlike main missions and the extra missions for season pass owners though the locations (When the doors remember to unlock but I think the game has gotten a bit better at that.) are re-used during bounties and daily activities for XP and such.

Hmm how to say up until the world tier scaling and itemization and RNG and the time it takes to create a build and the end game and activities it's solid but then you run into various issues and problems with content and the amount of time versus how rewarding or fun these might feel like. :)
    (The added locations are certainly well crafted but the reward isn't that great for completing these other than taking significantly longer than regular missions yet the same payoff.)

Free weekend or similar which Ubisoft and Massive often do around major updates and yeah it's worth checking out though it might only be enough time to see part of the early game but that's not bad either though it's the end-game that's the main issue and the content available though the game was going up against Division 1 with a solid addition through a year of patches and various extra activities and fine tuning while changing many of the mechanics and not being as fleshed out so those who played the first game at that point would have a different opinion on what the sequel offered.

EDIT: Or in my own opinion the end game is a bit lacking and the added missions and content while certainly looking impressive isn't all that entertaining and the time it takes to complete is much longer than most regular missions and their invaded variants while offering similar rewards and experience so short of challenges or the first initial story bit and set reward and opening up the additional difficulty modes I've mostly avoided them.

The season pass hidden missions were nice though almost unfortunate that these aren't unlocked for everyone else because these are good and not too lengthy while also offering challenges and some spins and twists over what the default missions have.

Still missing something like the underground though and a near endless dungeon of sort the player can customize and modify in various ways to then explore or the group excursions though there's currently one actual raid and one more coming in early next year.

Pier while it can be frustrating was also thoroughly enjoyable working against all factions and tougher levels and higher mob density for some sweet loot. :D

EDIT: It's a video game but the story is full of plot holes but oh well not like that didn't already apply to the first installment.

EDIT: Wait...

The Division 2 thread is that one there this is Breakpoint.

So..

Well..

The patch helped fix things up a bit but it still has much the same flaws as before and core game issues and design decisions plus listening to player criticism saw from what it looks like in the patch notes stamina got buffed to ridiculous levels making another game element less significant.

Fixed up and de-bugged well the gameplay mismash of ideas and mix-up of different designs and trying new stuff just doesn't work too well, it can be fun in short bursts but I don't see the game having the same turnaround as Siege or For Honor and such managed because it's just a mess of different ideas and GAAS elements trying something on top of the Tom Clancy type brand and expected game and what Wildlands had going for it.

What more is there to say, given several months of significant patches and overhauls maybe and Ubisoft has done that for a few of their GAAS/online games but we'll see though I have some reservations for how it will end up and am not expecting too much.

Still has it's fair share of fans and people who love the game too so when it works it can be a fun action/looter type game but so much just feels partial or barely worth and just being there but not integrated very well or utilized to any significant degree.

Level of items for example and the gear level average only affects damage taken by high level enemies often meaning the 150 and 250 areas plus opening up a few missions and the raid while doing nothing else what so ever.
    (I do believe though that some rarities only drop above certain scores so you need a few items to start finding blue and then purple and then yellow and the small to medium bonuses these provide from 2% blues to 4% purples to 6% yellows sorta for various buffs.)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Grimbarian likes this.
  6. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Thanks :) I'm sure I'll be able to get two copies at a nice low price pretty soon, it's a shame Ubisoft started massively overpricing their collector's editions I haven't had a decent action figure for ages, just too much to spend these days :(

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah that's a thing too with base editions and then splitting up the deluxe and collector packs into I think it's Deluxe, Gold and Ultimate often with ultimate having both the extra content and the season pass whereas gold strips out the deluxe content and deluxe lacks the season pass.

Often ending in a edition that covers everything for around 100$ plus with the service model it's seasonal passes or episodes and other names so there's been a trend for second season passes and enticing early purchases with immediate rewards or bonuses and now we're also hitting the start of more publishers hopping on both a subscription model and interest in seeing how streaming would work or a combination thereof such as the upcoming Stadia where there's a base free mode and a premium mode but the games unless marked as free are bought separately in addition to the subscription for the service itself and what premiums that might offer.

At least Ubisoft and EA and a few others do have a thing with very quick price drops and discounts and also very frequent recurring sales for these plus since GAAS and having a healthy player base is a big factor the common method is to employ trials like the free weekends often matching up with bigger patches or content drops. :)

Plus if waiting a while isn't a inconvenience it also lets the game get some often useful patches and first few content updates which certainly doesn't hurt been using that more this year myself while focusing on the existing backlog though also picked up a number of titles early and then waited a bit before clearing them while updates sorted out remaining bugs and such.

Business model certainly loves trying to get players hooked early though with these activities, limited time events and various rewards and cosmetic unlocks and such though I don't worry too much about it but it certainly works and some players are pretty set on getting everything though different from the so named "whales" that simply unlock it via monetary means. (Which has it's own set of problems when games try to push for this practice though that's a whole separate debate of it's own hah.)

Well I do believe Ubisoft is one of the publishers that can learn from and turn a mediocre release around but I am also trying to be a bit of a realist and the number of new ideas or rough implemented features or how to call it is pretty high here and changes things up significantly from Wildlands so a design change would be a pretty extensive undertaking and require a fair bit of time and testing and player feedback and updates and tuning if that happens though it is certainly possible that the developers could implement a alternate difficulty mode or something like that given time though they're already doing a lot with the bugfixing and features that still aren't out such as AI partners or the first raid content so who knows what the roadmap might be for longer term changes once this shifts from 2019 to 2020 and the games a bit more patched up for fixing issues and bugs at least before adding or overhauling actual content or mechanics in any substantial ways.

Full delay and additional time for development to all unreleased products in the pipeline does show that Ubisoft was affected by the player criticism and less than ideal reception and sales estimates but then that also made the stocks drop by a larger than usual amount (And even smaller dips can see investors get a bit panicked so I wonder what this might have caused.) but they've recovered before from slumps and the Vivendi takeover attempt so we'll see how that changes things.

In general the GAAS shift and the kinda template like formula their games have been following for a while outside of some of the experimental titles and non-mainline franchises might be in need of a bit of a revamp and overhaul even if the games certainly have their differences too.

Not like I'm doing the best explanation here but will be interesting to see how it goes, Breakpoint has potential but I find the experience to be flawed and the many ideas and systems and gameplay mechanics aren't utilized fully or in any meaninful way at all even being complicated or inhibiting players or hindering just having fun and enjoying the game even if it has it's good points.
    (The low points are certainly going to be noticed though and other shortcomings and problems.)

EDIT: Well that certainly spun out a bit into pricing and gameplay and various stuff ha ha.
    There's a foundation for a solid tactical shooter game here with MP elements but there's much that could be improved on and might hinder players enjoyment until made a bit more robust or fleshed out or how to try and sum it up. :)

Grimbarian likes this.
  8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    breakpoint keep in mind i have ten hours or more under my belt and my gear lvl is still pretty low the first few hours in the thing that struck me the most was how much i had instantly taken to playin it like a Splinter cell game of old it took me back to playing the last great SC game blacklist urgency at all times as helicopters spy planes or even drones can come into your space at any time and you can have but seconds to react goin prone and then coverin yourself in mud or sand to blend in and not be spotted. at one time i was like this and enemy patrol was a few feet they walked and drove right past me my heart was beatin so fast lol

what i feel this game kills and does rly well is that feelin of being a lone wolf against the odds and bein a ghost recon game this is somethin that we are not all that used to and altho many see this as a negative not havin ai team mates with you at all times means every single action or reaction is all down to you. readin posts on here its obvious only a very few found somethin to like about breakpoint and ok the game may have been a bomb for ubisoft but changes are on the horizon why this was the case is debated but after playin a few hours im blown away by how good it is and how close it is to bein the open world splinter cell game i always hoped ubisoft would one day make you can even make yourself look like fisher if you find the right gear and only use silencers and nothin but stealth for all enemy engagements. im findin plenty to enjoy discover and spend my time doin in a game everyone is callin a complete disaster cos for me at least its really realy not and some of you should give it a try rather than acceptin it as one.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The game is getting some changes next year using community feedback to see what they will be focusing on first but I guess we'll just see how that goes.
    https://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/gam...ost-recon-breakpoint-community-survey-results

A full overhaul is probably a bit too hopeful but there's a chance though I do not expect a complete turnaround from some of the less than stellar implemented ideas and functions in the game and some partial or entirely omitted features but we'll see, another one of those Game As A Service model titles where it's best to just wait a year and ignore timed events and cosmetic content rewards and just enjoy a more polished experience assuming that does happen and it's not outright shuttled though Ubisoft can at least do an attempt before pulling the plug but we'll see how it goes. :)
    (Not too hopeful for the work that this would need but eh exceptions do happen but just have to see what the next large update brings as this starts being implemented.)

cerebus23 likes this.
  10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    lest they making an effort.

11. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Seems waiting a few months may finally make the game worth purchasing.

12. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Anyone played the raid yet? I'm searching for a group of ppl (language spoken: english)

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Was wondering what the crashes were from, turn out a bug with the current version is being fixed in the next patch on December 18th which involves going at high altitude and snowy regions = instant crash. :D
    The toughest areas to traverse and the one convenient way to travel ha ha, well at least I know why that kept happening now ha ha.

EDIT: Well any mode of transport even on foot will cause it after reaching a certain distance but the easiest is via helicopter.

14. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    signex likes this.
  15. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Servers are down for 2 more hours. Not worth starting the game cause there's no option to quit. ALT + F4 ftw. :D

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Might be time to wrap this one up then but it'll be interesting to see how much this update has altered the game although they still keep pushing community requested features back but the only major thing I'd like to see is offline mode but that is also the one that's having the most trouble from the developers.

EDIT: Wonder if the profile data was updated again, GFX settings persist due to being stored in a separate XML or what it was but so far every patch has broken the other settings and require setting everything up again. Expecting the same here but it's just a few minutes but also just another thing this game could have done better or resolved oh well. :D

17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Can't say that Vulkan brings noticeable fps boost, maybe like 5-7fps difference, but it's better than nothing.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Takes a while for the shader caching but getting that done early should also improve frame times and overall consistency and might help reduce stuttering a bit.
    Cloth physics was implemented as a new option and this begins season two it seems starting with some Splinter Cell themed missions and gear, still Ghost Recon Breakpoint and I don't know if these customization options are enough but we'll see and Ubisoft seems to be thinking ahead sounds like they're planning a free weekend trial to boost player count and revive interest in the game and from there to however it goes.

Only got a very short amount of time setting up all the options and such (Thankfully it was mostly just the UI elements resetting this time not everything.) and once I got to the game I barely managed to start the new mission line before getting disconnected, might be more stable now though after a few more hours since maintenance ended and the player population is more stabilized. :)

About time to try and clear the game and continue with the backlog if nothing else but I like Ubisoft being unafraid to try and instead of shelving the game or setting the team to work on a new project they do try although how it works well I don't foresee it doing what Rainbow Six Siege or For Honor managed plus it also somewhat competes against Division 2 which had a more solid launch though anything could happen over the next few months and Ubisoft is planning for years now not months of continued service and support showing that they can also support major revisions and changes at least for a time.
    (This could also benefit UPlay and potential UPlay Plus subscriptions so that all ties into it I will guess and they have a fairly good lineup of GAAS or similar games on offer plus earlier titles rotating through heavy discounts, giveaways or free weekends also.)

19. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    It's about time they do a free weekend of this or discount it to £4 or something! ;)

20. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    It's free2play 26th till 29th