Italy lockdown ...how bad is the Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Reports on UK news say young Londoners are ignoring rules to stay at home.
    Pubs are packed and Wetherspoons boss said the quarantine rules are over the top.
    Not helped by people like Paul Gascoigne (Gazza, ex footballer) posting a selfie with his partner from a pub.
    There wont be enough places in hospitals to care for them very soon.
    Survival of the fittest "minds" is key now.

This is going to skew the age % of who catches coronavirus, results for younger people will increase.

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC

toyo, XP-200 and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    As I thought, my work won't be closing, we fall under UK govs key workers list.

Certain staff being shuffled to support the public from Monday, unsure if it effects me.

Meanwhile, two people who sat next to me, paid holiday for 12 weeks as they're in the vulnerable groups. Guess it's got to be done

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I think something similar was posted earlier about the drugs being trialled but Australia are now rolling out in a large clinical trial what has been termed a cure, but its not quite that simple!
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...cessfully-treated-HIV-malaria-medication.html

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Fair play to the UK government. Round of applause to those guys.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What I would start advising folks is start paying attention to those around you who are less financially secure than you are. I was just talking to my sister. Her business is probably going to fold. She left nursing about a decade ago. I was thinking of calling her back and asking if she has considered that going back into nursing, but I am not sure she's ready for that sort of stark reality check just yet. She has about a dozen folks working for her and business activity for her market is gone for at least 6 months if not permanently. There's a lot of folks in similar situations with smaller businesses. Then there's those millions of folks who work for them. Regardless of the future, at this point we are already going to see massive disruption in the economy. Back to my message: pay attention to those around you. Do what you can to keep them from falling through the cracks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    0blivious likes this.
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    That weatherspoons boss is a utter cretin advocating and encouraging the spread of the virus while everyone else are doing their best to halt it, while of course he sits at home with his own family safe and sound...........makes my blood boil.

8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    First 24 hours LOCKDOWN in my country MAURITIUS.
    12 CASES within 48 hrs.:(

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I honestly think being vigilant and smart is going to save many millions of lives. We'll actually know for certain after it's done in the 3rd world. It looks like mortality, containment and the overall number of deaths is highly dependent upon (at least) 5 key factors:

-- Government response
    -- Citizen compliance
    -- How robust the health system is
    -- Culture habits & citizen density
    -- Health of nation's citizens

This crisis really seems to shine a bright light on any weakness / shortcoming a Nation, a business or even your own household has.

Solfaur and Caesar like this.
  10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    fantaskarsef likes this.

11. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Sadly quite a number of them in the pubs, having been self-isolating for sometime I feel now that lock down is going to be appearing soon.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    We got a first death here in Serbia today. Lockdown from 20h pm will probably will be even more reduced to avoid going out. Sad times...

13. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    My work has extended work from home until further notice.

I have been going out though for drives and walks to keep active. Remember guys! stay active! Stay safe everyone.

14. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    many were out on the lash last night,1 last one i suppose. reckon the local offy will make a killing, they did a number of years back when people started realising new years eve was costing a fortune, a tray of beer and 40 fags, 20quid and walk home.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah medication is already an issue here. Not necessarily this drug in particular, but overall a number of drugs my parents were prescribed and were taking for years are starting to be hard to find or are straight not being supplied anymore. I think countries begin to hold everything back for themselves and if your country can't produce X drug branch, you are pretty much screwed.

In my city I must say people have been pretty complying with the isolation for the most part, problem was that the weather was so damn fantastic and the temptation was high. Luckily it's getting cold and rainy (maybe even snow) again so that will help a bit. In the end though, the only certain way to keep people inside is to put the army on the streets AND provide food/supplies for the ones in need. If you just enforce quarantine but don't take into consideration that some (if not a LOT) people are broke and out of work and can't afford to order food 3 times a day, or didn't get the chance to hoard supplies, then you can't be surprised that they're out shopping for food/medicine.

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Bars in glasgow were doing half price on all booze, as if we weren't just warned "dont go to pubs"

17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    All countries are doing the same errors Italy did...

toyo and anticupidon like this.
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    South Correa seems to have less cases to population ratio.
    They fought the invisible virus by making it visible, testing everyone and tracking/locate every single case.
    But some nations are too indifferent, cocky or downright stupid to learn from others.
    It's serious only when their closest friends or relatives die from it, then will panick and colapse the healthcare services.

Noisiv and Solfaur like this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A major issue is every country wants to buy test kits, there are only so many to go round.
    Unless they already have good stock, it means testing has to be limited in some way.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No. Many of these countries are behaving far worse than Italy. Italy did not have some other Italy to warn them about the danger of COVID-19. It all happened too fast.

People complaining about the bad China and few lousy administrators in Wuhan who tried to suppress the initial outbreak. All true. But in light of how world governments responded AFTER becoming aware, what difference a prompter Chinese response would have made?

Lets not forget that at the same time the media and politicians in the US were gloating about financial and business opportunities that virus outbreak in China has created. Moar jobs, its thousands miles away - moar moneyz for us, right?
    And then in January when China has decided to undertake an unprecedentedly enormous effort on a scale that is hard to imagine, everyone doubled down on their concerns about human rights in China. Whatta heartwarming, historically responsible and a humane thing to do.

That was TWO MONTHS AGO. Yet many governments are just now committing to full measures with some STILL unable/unwilling to empty their pubs, beaches and restaurants.
    Meanwhile idiots like "Imperial College" came up with herd immunity strategy, yet UK has fewer hospital beds and ICU units than... Italy(!) AMAAZING.

toyo, Solfaur and anticupidon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.