8GB RAM with NO PAGEFILE CLUB or TOPIC (lol)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mr.Bigtime, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the pagefile should never be turned off, this thread should be closed for what it is, snake oil and user ignorance.

A modern ssd is the right place for a page file should memory pressure require it.

HK-1, Keitosha, mirh and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    6GB in Bank0, 12GB in Bank 1, all running Triple Channel.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, Hemi is correct.
    https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

its called flex memory.

if you put 8|2|8|2|8|2 you'd have 3 channels of 10 GB
    if you put 8|2|8|2|8|1 you have 3 channels of 9GB and, then 2GB's addressed in flex mode.

2|0|2|0|2|2 is 6GB's in triple and 2 in flex.

Testing on this was done by Toms in 2004
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-stakes-vision-pc-future-775-launch,830-29.html

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    This is a X58 mobo, with triple-slot banks, not Quad. 4/2/4/2/4/2

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the nahelem and westmere IMC's utilise Flex memory as well, indulge in your motherboard manual (though i am aware quite a few do not mention it)

I will link this from the R3E manual.

[​IMG]

I have personally tested it using a 8+4+4 config with, crossing the 4 GB mark drops framerate quite like those single channel vs dual channel videos.

That said, i am aware wikichips omits flex memory support from the arrandale/clarksdale features list but includes it for sandy (that said the core i7 article doesn't even list desktop i7's till skylake, so thats a useless reference) It is listed within the uarch documentation, but i can't recall the pdf numbering or site i obtained it from at the moment.

https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/wp-westmere-ep-memory-performance-ww-en.pdf

Westmere chips with workstation bios's are the only case where the former is used, desktop boards are simpler and will fall back to the latter.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Deleted member 213629 and 386SX like this.
  6. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    special needs thread?

7. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Tell that to the Greeks that even 3000 years ago knew the earth was a globe and goes around the sun. They even knew and talk about Atoms if you can imagine along with building the first computer ( Antikythera Mechanism/ Even the English with their obssesion try to replicate it but they admit they can't in such fine detail of the original and also they were doumbfounded since it had gears while the English thought invented Gears ).

Now on the topic. I never use Page File either. And if you notice, now that we have 16GB of RAM, I don't expect any problem whatsoever.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You're either ignorant, a fool, or both.

Smough likes this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Jeez.. must have been years since I commented in this thread. One thing that no page file advocates have not addressed is what benefit they think they get by turning it off. Performance? Zero difference. Even if they have no issues in keeping it off, they benefit NOTHING from that.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Reducing writes to an SSD is a benefit, at least in theory.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    pagefiles are only used if they are needed.

Smough likes this.
  12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    When are they needed, though? On Windows, even on a system with more than enough RAM, I see the pagefile being used quite extensively sometimes. On Linux, swappiness controls that and the kernel can be very frugal with using the swapfile to the extent that the system might hang a bit when almost running out of system memory (swappiness = 0).

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I doubt this very much, Aida64 is the only way to view actual page file usage per drive, any other application, including afterburner is displaying the Commit Size named as Page File.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I see. I'll probably revisit this thread whenever I hop back to Windows and notice usage.

15. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    8gb can be enough depending on what you do. ltsc 8gb single channel, no pagefile hibernation or sleep and systems run very well.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    And then you wake up,

• 1. Single channel reduces the performance of the CPU's cache line (Fact, look it up) impairing performance by atleast 25% and at most 40%
    • 2. no pagefile?, thats going to mean your system bsods constantly just browsing the web, if not the display driver crashing. And its always such people that fill up driver release threads with self created issues. (I don't think you can use large page support either in this situation) because address space fragmentation can easily consume what little ram you have.
    • 3. Without a pagefile, due to the previously mentioned fragmentation you can run out of usable memory well before you even measure near 8GB, so you're looking at 6 at worst -7.25GB at the best (and best case is only immediately after a fresh boot)
    • 4. whats hibernation and sleep got to do with a page file thread?
    Good reading

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ar.../pushing-the-limits-of-windows-virtual-memory

Good watching

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2011/WCL405

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Smough likes this.
  17. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    and then i block you. bye bye.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Some people can't live outside their ignorant little bubble.

Smough and EtherPhoenix like this.
  19. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    You would replace an SSD before it died due to writes and you can also set it to be across multiple drives, also disabling page file is just saying "Well, I just hope some of my apps and games crash". In fact, your SSD would probably die due to a bad power outage or physical harm done by you or someone else (like dropping the computer or something). Stop being so paranoid, its not like an SSD will last a week and after that, its gone...

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Single channel 8GB RAM is even worse than having 2x2 4GB of RAM... Basically, the more RAM channels you have, your fps literally sky rocket, Dual Channel is good, Quad Channel makes a monstrous difference. Single channel is depressing.