Intel Says its Loihi Computer Chip Can Smell Without a Nose

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Smellivision?

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Ok, Intel just don't try to smell client's money, we know how bad you want it

Kaarme likes this.
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As a robotics enthusiast, I find this to be amazing. I can't imagine this will be very affordable and I'm curious how capable this will be, but this is a seriously useful technology. I'm interested to see further progress on this.

Makes me wonder if this could be used for people with anosmia. So far, there has been success in synthesizing other senses. The sense of smell is an interesting one because it has a lot of "low-level" and instinctual functionality. For example, smell often has one of the strongest impacts on memory, and we're biologically programmed to find certain smells repulsive or appealing. So, what would our instincts do if we synthetically smelled something rotting? If someone used to be able to smell, their brain would still [likely] be able to identify such smells, so what would happen if the "synthetic nose" sent the wrong signal? Could a corpse smell like roses to them? Could fresh baked bread smell like farts?
    Meanwhile, if someone was born with anosmia, would they ever be able to identify what a good smell or a bad smell is? So even if the signal for cadaverine was accurately produced to their brain, would they know it's supposed to be putrid?

airbud7 likes this.

5. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    This smells fantastic, at least Intel being a gigantic enterprise have some parts of it forwarding to interesting stuff

6. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I read this as i'm having some toast for breakfast... :confused:

7. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    wiffovision, copealoadofthisvision :D