NVIDIA Postpones GTC announcements

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Probably it is the right thing to do, as there is a right time and place for anything. Nvidia just send word that they are postponing their GTC announcements....

NVIDIA Postpones GTC announcements

toyo likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmmm, probably something delayed due to covid like new products not being able to get a fixed release date?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Why it can't just be true?

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Probably bad business to try to sell new products in the current economic fallout from covid, and emotionally people aren't as engaged with luxuries in acute times like these. People wouldn't be jumping on the hype train! Besides, they might have production/distribution issues of new products because of all of this stuff. Not surprising....and I've found I'm visiting tech sites less the last week or so.

toyo likes this.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Totally understandable. At least we have streaming, thank you fiber internet in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma.

XenthorX likes this.
  6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I feel like I'm watching a Twilight Zone episode. In the US, 50 (fifty) people have died over the past 4-5 months from what has been attributed to COVID-19 infections, while during the same time frame 22,000+ Americans have expired from the common Flu this Flu season--yes, in the last 4-5 months. Many physicians in the US have bluntly stated that up to 80% of the people infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus could easily have already recovered and very possibly not even know they had it! That's because COVID-19 is a coronavirus strain, with light symptoms or even none!--it's not a Flu strain such as SARS, MERS, SWINE--who remembers Hong Kong flu? It's not viral pneumonia, either! Coronaviruses have until now caused common colds--all common colds are caused by coronaviruses. Yet the flu deaths are ignored--and people are panicking because of the very mild (by comparison) COVID-19 coronavirus. It's insane--I have to say I've never seen anything like it! The utter stupidity of the panic is depressing to behold--it makes you lose faith in man's ability to do and act rationally and logically. I will say, however, that in the US much of the ignorance and panic comes straight out of the press--if they don't lie outright then they certainly exaggerate ferociously. But not a single word about the Flu fatalities! It's as if they don't exist! Indeed, all of the COVID-19 coronavirus strain deaths globally in every country since the beginning of the COVID-19 debacle in China--are but a small fraction of what the Flu has claimed in just the US alone! The global number of flu fatalities since the start of the current flu season must be huge--dwarfing COVID-19 entirely--but ignored. The (D)s in the US are trying to politicize COVID-19, as usual. It's all crazy. Real mad hatter stuff!

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Political parties in the US try to politicize everything.... Everything in the US is about money and power. Health care....something that everyone should be able to agree on, is a privilege in the US.....unlike the rest of the developed world.

COVID-19 has been great for gun sales. Gun shops seem to be reporting record setting sales increases..... Any reason for Americans to buy guns... How long until we devolve into a 3rd world country?

Btw, those 50 people, died over the last few weeks. Not months.... At least according to the media.

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Do you not math bro?

First COVID-19 death was February 29th in the USA, since that time, 16 days ago, it has risen to 87 deaths.

87 deaths in 16 days, not "50 in the past 4-5 months"

Again, 16 days, not 4-5 months. Say it with me now, 16 days----not 4-5 months.

Stop spreading misinformation

As well as comparing this to the flu is pointless, the flu has had time to take a foothold in the US, or rather, the world. It has had plenty of time, so to compare a disease that is already widespread vs a disease that is currently not wide spread is pointless, as the comparison numbers between deaths won't mean anything.

The only number that is important is the death rate and infection rate.

As to the death rate (for COVID-19), there have been:

182000+ people infected
    7150+ people have died of those that have been infected
    Death rate of ~3%

Death rate of the flu is ~0.1%

With more data and quite frankly more complete data, the death rate of COVID-19 is likely to decrease, but this is the data and facts we have for right now. Trying to say otherwise, and compare to the deaths of the flu to make it sound like the flu is more deadly only because the flu has had ample time to spread, is downright foolish.

So lets say the coronovirus infects as many people as the flu right? Your current numbers of trying to compare a new disease to an old, well established disease, won't be in your favor.

Hence why people are trying to slow the infection rate, allow hospitals to not get over whelmed, and give time to find a vaccine (Remember, the flu has a vaccine!).

So again, stop spreading misinformation and how about you just log off the internet and do your own thing rather then mess with peoples perceptions and cause harm? MMkay?

Robbo9999, XenthorX, yasamoka and 2 others like this.
  9. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    How does one reply to this sort of talk while remaining polite and considerate? Basically each and every point in the post has been explained and debunked by actual medics in multiple countries.

Must be some sort of international medical cabal that collaborates with the "(D)s in the US" (yes, really creative way of avoiding politics, nobody knows who we're talking about).

Not gonna bother to do the debunking in full yet again, but I can tell you this. Billions upon billions USD are lost. People losing their jobs all over the world because their employment is gone. Entire cities on lockdown and rather unprecedented authoritarian measures, even in the very liberal parts of Europe. Multiple tragedies unfolding in Italy's hospitals, Spain and France soon to follow. Newspapers with pages upon pages of obituaries.

So how is this different than the flu, you ask? Easy. The flu produces those fatalities stably, over the course of a flu season. It's still not something to ignore, most of us medical stuff take it seriously. Yet flu rarely complicates in bilateral interstitial pneumonia, and it results in ARDS even more rare. In comparison, SARS-CoV-2 results in viral pneumonia quite often, and it's more than double as contagious. What that means in practice is overwhelmed hospitals, ICU flooded, ventilators being rationed, medical staff overworked and stressed because of witnessing so much suffering in such a short time, and as the medical systems collapse, CFR rises to rather dramatic figures. In fact, Italy is now having a (growing) 7.7% fatality rate and is approaching the first SARS CFR, yet with more than double the contagion. In just 3 weeks basically.

So yes, it's an international conspiracy to make some political party look bad.

Robbo9999, yasamoka, sykozis and 2 others like this.
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Let me remind you that we will ban people for political discussions, don't take this warning lightly.

Aura89 and jura11 like this.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Hilbert I get what you're saying man, but it's kinda hard to talk about a subject like this without politics getting involved. Just saying....

Robbo9999 likes this.
  12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think it's more about spreading random misinformation, rather than being political.
    @waltc3 totally derailed thread by posting random numbers, baiting or trolling other users.
    That comment should of been deleted and user banned before other users started to take a bait and reply to it.

My stupid necro comments get deleted without a trace in a few minutes! Yet baiting comments are here to stay.

jbscotchman likes this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    @WalterDasTrevas started the argument in the E3 thread by insulting Trump supporters but that wasn't deleted. And if I try to defend my President then all hell breaks loose.

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Mods here are not removing political topics or comments. They just lock threads.

And I don't really see a reason to defend/offend President, since it's a rabbit whole that goes nowhere, nobody gonna change their mind over a comment, but further flaming and throwing random numbers.
    Ignoring user is the best practice in my experience.

carnivore likes this.
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Not trying to change anyone's mind, but I love my country and respect my President. Nothing wrong with that.

screwtech02, Maddness and sverek like this.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Aye, I am not your dad to tell you whats right or whats wrong :D
    Yet my point is not about fighting over other users preferences, but be more mature (than people who disagree with you) and perhaps ignore it.

If someone for example prefers Novidia over AMD and just won't shut up about it, it just gets old and meaningless for others.
    Same with people who prefer flu over covid-19. Take your poison and choke on it :)

sykozis likes this.
  17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Lock please. I come to these forums for an enjoyable dalliance, not an unsatisfying marriage, followed by painful divorce proceedings.

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    But... but... Novidia > AMD....

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yea, for example I'd like to comment on what sykozis wrote below but debating about guns in the US is will backfire for sure. Therefore I feel it's best to let it rest.

20. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Disappointing to hear this. Was waiting for the March announcement since Christmas, then the "online announcement", now nothing again. I suppose they are like all tech firms right now... spending more time trying to figure out how to let employees work from home, or manage infection in offices, how to mind children who are now stuck at home all day with schools/creches closed as they are in my country etc than getting back to normal running of business.