AMD Ryzen Series 3000 processors prices drop: a terrific deal and opportunity

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 13, 2020.

1. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Just snagged--yesterday--a 3900X from Amazon for $419--but that was just part of it--the main clincher was the five-months, same as cash, no interest deal Amazon was offering! Even when you just sort-of want something, maybe--that kind of temptation is too much to resist. (Unfortunately, it appears that Amazon cancelled the 5-months SAC payment option the day after I ordered! I had no idea how close to the wire my order was--I had seen the deal offered some weeks ago but talked myself out of it then.) I'm in awe of this thing--hitting 4.67GHz single core boost on four cores--a fifth and sixth core boost to ~4.4GHz. But really, the show stopper is that this thing (12c/24t) doubled my 3600X's (6c/12t) performance in every single mutlithreaded app and benchmark I own--and sometimes it runs better than a linear 2x performance difference! The scaling is phenomenal. I want to also state that the included Wraith Prism cooler is an order of magnitude better than the Wraith Spire I had with the 3600X--that thing was a bit on the noisy side. This Prism I'm running at 80% normally and it isn't even audible with the side cover off!

I had planned on keeping the 3600X going until later this year to see what Zen3 looks like, but I realized that if I buy one I probably won't until 2021, so I'll stick with this one for at least a year.

Maddness and HARDRESET like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    But... I still want Ryzen 4K : (

(But the fear out of my PC giving up has suddenly became a real fact to consider. My personal hoarding itch...)

3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    I am more then happy with my 3800x that I bought at almost the same price as 3700x ... maybe I will buy a 4700x - 4800x if they are at a good price ( since the 4000 will be the last AM4 series ) .. and I will keep my pc for another 8 - 10 years .... If not, maybe I will make an upgrade in 2 years with AM5 and DDR5 ... but first let's see the prices .
    Thing is I always wait for a refresh ... let's say AM5 will come next year .... I NEVER buy the first iteration ... always wait for second or third . Best of luck all

4. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I have 3900X since last September when they came out first...

I have been saying for months how great the included Wraith Prism cooler is and I do not find any need to pay €150+ for some third party cooler when this one is so good.

And apart from performance, I even love the lighting system it has which I don't want to replace with some third party one!

waltc3 likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Even though it would be so cool to own a 3900X and have 12 cores I'll settle for my 3800X for now and maybe get something from the 4000 series instead.

waltc3, fantaskarsef and Maddness like this.
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Oh bother!. I paid some amount of money for my 3700x only some amount of time ago and now I find that the same chip is some amount of money less than the amount of money I paid for it.... I shake my fist at thee and pretend I am angry. Jesting aside it's tech, it happens and frankly at these prices... at the prices I paid it was still far and away the best CPU for the money to do what I wanted it to do.

Intel better be bringing something special with Comet lake otherwise this amounts to nothing more than kicking them while they are down!

Maddness likes this.
  7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    My 2700x cooler is noisy a lot, unsure if i mounted it bad. I can hear everything spinning when i play.

8. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    I have a 2700x as well with the Wraith Prism, for stock use it was fine and quiet .

9. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    I'm genuinely curious: what made you buy 3800x instead of 3700x? They seem to perform almost identially in benchmarks

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I guess I thought that there would be more OC headroom due to the increased TDP but that wasn't the case. It is slightly faster than the 3700X but not worth the extra money, that's for sure (though I did get it for a fairly good price, not too far from the 3700X).

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm not so sure. IIRC, to OC a 3700X to compete with a 3800X would make it more power-hungry. However, I'm not really all that familiar with how to manually overclock Zen2.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    What exactly makes AMD to drop the prices? Someone elaborate please?

13. The stock market is unstable right now - look no further; I doubt this is the only part of AMD's portfolio they're cutting prices in to corner market-share.

14. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Sick people have other worries than buying new HW.. and same with people which are worried to get sick, or take care of someone else.. Lots of people also are or would be grounded.. with zero or lesser income.. dont expect any business performance bonuses unless you are selling some protective masks or coffins or mass graves holes in lesser developed countries..

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    It's an amazing CPU there is no doubt about that, but i always wanted the 3950X it's just too sexy.

16. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    At launch is wasn't worth it because it was $70 more and very little performance difference.
    However I feel like bins have improved massively since launch. I bought my 3800X for $299 in February ($20 more than the 3700X but came with an extra free game that I sold for $35 so it paid for itself).
    My 3800X easily does 4.4ghz manual OC at 1.275v (no LLC, load voltage is like 1.23v). Which is very good compared to the initial reviews. Maybe I just have a golden sample however from other comments from recent buyers (such as the one above with the 3900X), I don't think my experience is out of the norm anymore. I believe they have drastically improved yields since launch.

For $20-30 it is worth it for the better bin. Not that odd since historically, people would pay a LOT more for better single core speeds. We've only recently gotten to point where a little more money = more cores instead of more money = slightly faster cores.

These days the 3900X is $399, if I was buying today I would go for that instead. But I'm happy for now, I don't even come close to utilizing 8c/16t and I'm still on a 1070Ti until Nvidia finally releases a real upgrade for it under $400.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Like I said, that's what I thought but it proved to be wrong. Still, I find my CPU to perform quite well overall in games.

4.4GHz all-core at 1,275v? That's very very good. I think I had to add 1,43v but on the other hand I didn't really try it that much. Could try again now that I have a X570 board and the most recent AGESA.

18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Most obvious answer is they want to start clearing shelves and inventory ahead of the Zen 3 launch later this year.

olymind1 and HARDRESET like this.
  19. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Still, your 3800X should single-thread boost better than the 3700x...? I know that was definitely the case for the 3600X over the 3600 (not that much--some ~200 Mhz.)

20. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    fear of comet lake

Intel admitted no 10nm node until 2021 maybe 10nm+ but surely 7+nm the same time Amd will build 5nm

Intel's CFO George Davis presented at the Morgan Stanley's TMT conference and had a refreshingly honest and candid discussion with analysts about the 10nm process. The company revealed that it's planning to push out 10+ process this year but also warned that while it is almost certainly in the 10nm era now, 10nm as a node "just isn't going to be the best node that Intel has ever had"

what AMD have to fear?

What exactly makes AMD to drop the prices? Someone elaborate please?

No expert here but i think there are 3 reasons first more waffles from TSMC Apple is moving to 5nm(Back in January this year, it was reported that TSMC would commence mass production of its 5nm node in Q2 2020. This would mean that lucrative clients like Apple and Huawei would be able to use the technology to unveil their latest and greatest mobile silicon yet) ,second more waffles better prices and third Amd is on a good spot Intel not so much what better time to bring down the prices.