Folding@home: Put your CPU and GPU in use against the Corona COVID-19 virus

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    [​IMG]

For over 14 years now, Guru3D has been taking part in the folding@home project, currently, the team's most resources are utilized to fight the COVID-19 virus. If you like to donate some CPU or GPU time to the project, join us in this project. More info after the fold.

Read more

Jackalito, HandR, BetA and 3 others like this.
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ok Hilbert, client is installed and waiting for GPU WU's to download and start.... CPU is on it's way though. Might as well get points where I can....

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Sadly my 4770K has been patched into a Pentium 3 over the past 2 years.

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Been years since i've used F@H but now with this i'm starting it back up. my 2400g and 2600/gtx1080 should help.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    GPU just started on 11741.... We'll see how well my reference RX5700 holds on to this.....lol

It's heating up quite a bit already....

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Will engage tonight and hopefully to bring more friends on the team.
    Will ask a few questions on this thread, necessary.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're using a reference blower card....keep an eye on temps.

8. TestDriver

TestDriver Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti, C49HG90
    Good initiative :)

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Wait don’t they already have cures for COVID-19 in China and a scientist in Canada? I was under the impression it’s just waiting on “manufacturing and distribution”?

BTW cancer is a much more important leg of research over a viral pneumonia with an extremely low mortality rate compared to cancer.

schmidtbag likes this.
  10. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    My client on my 2400g runs on my CPU but wont run on the igpu keeps failing to download a work unit or something

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    iGPU's have always had issues running F@H....

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Anyone folds under Linux? Seems that the client wants the propietary driver.
    Anyone can shed some light on this matter?

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Hello Hilbert, I joined (our) team. :) folding for project 11744

Jackalito likes this.
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Cancer goes largely undetected, resulting in a higher mortality rate. If there was adequate screening for cancer, the mortality rate would be considerably lower.

Also, cancer isn't contagious.....and some governments are fighting advanced screenings and treatments that would decrease the mortality rate considerably. All for the sake of big pharma's profits....

Also, it's still early. It's impossible to predict how many people will die by the end of this pandemic based on the information currently available.

Best advice I've read recently concerning COVID-19.... If you're not a medical professional (ie. nurse, doctor, researcher), don't comment on it because you don't know enough about it.

15. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Im hearing about hits project for years, are somewhere some proofs and real results of it?
    Because otherwise is just waste of power and power means waste of natural resources.. I hope that someone doesnt just mask some bitcoin mining as science research, its hard to check, for that actually some number crunching is for is there is some code obfuscation.
    There are already lots of super fast computers, financed by our money (government) through taxes and its usually just waste, brutal horsepower with some very bad code what is produced by some academics to show that they are doing something for their salaries, there are exceptions, but they already have enough power to waste. More and more expensive super computer usually dont save world, it would be great, if it would be some simple. I believe more in real step by step lab work and real theories and testing that some lofty magic AI.. algorithms to solve problems.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    A little research goes a long way......

Pande Labs verifies all research, drafts and publishes the relevant research data.

There is no "magic AI".....lol And medical research to the same extent is prohibitively expensive and time consuming for most labs. Nearly every medical research lab makes use of simulations to some extent, because it saves money and time.

17. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    How do i change the project 1?

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I don't believe you can change what project your client downloads. You were unable to in the past anyway.....

19. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    But right now I am on another project then the ones specified on this page ! ... and I want to use them .? There is no way ? You get a random project ?

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Projects are assigned randomly, yes... COVID-19 related projects have been given priority, but there's also limited available of work units for COVID-19....so not everyone active will necessarily get one.

Jackalito, HandR and Silva like this.