Corsiar Icue and Other Monitoring Software Linked to Black Screens/Problems (NSFW)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

This person links black screens from the use of Corsair Icue software with Adrenalin 2020. Which he claims use to work fine in Adrenlain 2019. With Icue alone it caused black screen. He advised that AMD makes 2020 compatible with Icue. It is not clear what version of Icue and MSI A/B he was using.

ALSO

https://community.amd.com/thread/244440

----------------------

Furthermore, I've found a video with someone using Asus Auroa software (LightingService). When LightingService crashes so does the AMD drivers.

[​IMG]

Photo taken from this video:

This information is presented to you in addition to the black screen issue. It's not to suggest that it is the only cause.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I use iCUE with my AMD system, and I get no black screens.

3. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    I use iCUE with my AMD 5700 XT system, and I too get no black screens.

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    What I get from this is that it's not limited to just 1 piece of software/app. It's a combo of monitoring software. For example:
    Wattman OSD + Corsiar Icue + Asus Auroa
    And other combination of 2 or more.

In the 1st video @ 3:35 he states AMD Drivers (I assume he was talking about Wattman OSD) + MSI A/B + Icue. For example .

@3:42 he says he removed Icue, assuming he's still using Drivers + MSI A/B and he no longer had problems.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I use iCUE + Asus Aura + AI Suite 3 + RTSS + Wattman + Metrics display and I have no issues. :)

Not to say there isn't an issue. I remember reading how apps using an old method for reading the sensors can cause issues. This was discussed as a possible cause for black screens pre-20.2.2

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I guess it can depend on HW setup. :)

But I still notice a lot of complaints with Icue and with Aura though.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Just to list hardware:

AMD R5 3600 / Asus Crossfire VIII Hero Wifi / Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-3200 CL16 E-die @ 3600 / Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT / Samsung 970 EVO 500GB / Intel 660p 2TB / Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA / EVGA 240mm AIO cooler / CM HAF-X Tower case / CM Silent Pro Gold 1200 PSU / BenQ EW3270U 4K HDR

One thing I've noticed on Reddit is that a commonality with people who still have instability issues are PowerColor owners, even with 12.2.2. Not to say some PowerColor owners aren't reporting no issue/fixed. I'm wondering if it's a combo of hardware with certain motherboards. or they just need a fresh OS install.

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I'm sure that's also possible. I do recall a time were some were told to make sure to use PCIe 3.0 from auto for those MB's that were 4.0 capable.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I run with 4.0 enabled no problem. Another rumor was too aggressive Asmedia drivers not playing nice with other hardware.

10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    That is one that I haven't heard of.

But I do recall, a long time ago, that one shouldn't run mutliple monitoring software at one time. As that could cause problems.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its a good connection and easy to make, icue has been busting nvidia drivers on x79's since creators update.

Don't do this.
    Never do this.

2 of these apps use unsafe mutex's and neither of them are Afterburner

Now throw Task Manager which implements gpuenergydrv.sys and we have unknown mutex's in the mix.

Aida64 and Afterburner are the only 2 I could recommend to be run together, even GPU-Z has in the past black screened a card on start randomly.

You don't get to complain about DPC latency or stuttering anymore.
    This mix of unsafe mutexes and kernel mode drivers is a laugh.

Only safe thing here is RTSS.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    When I actually have high latency (tested already and I don't) or stuttering, I'll let you know.

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I do recall back when I was having black screens I was using wattman, Hwinfo and MSI Afterburner. I was using HWinfo for something else though but it's very possible I forgot that it was started. I had the card for a few weeks and updated drivers before I experienced the black screen.

I've never heard anything good about icue nor Aura.

Edit:
    Oh crap, I just remembered I was also using Aorus Sidekick OSD via USB as well. Man, those apps add up and I didn't even pay attention to it. No wonder...

14. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    I recall better and besides those you were also using cpu-z, aida 64, windows task manager, speedfan.
    So after all wasnt from your low power source ?

15. PinYourBallsToTheWall

PinYourBallsToTheWall Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Super
    Hello People. I used ICUE exactly about 1 day when I installed my corsair aio. It caused my computer to hard reboot while I was playing games, like you pulled the plug out of the wall. Then the computer would just boot backup to the desktop. Replaced ICUE with the oldest corsair link software that worked with my motherboard to control my aio and that's good enough. not gonna tryout any newer versions of ICUE. I tried several versions of corsair link and the version I use is not the newest. But its good enough.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020

16. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Hmm.....

last night i was playing fifa and for some reason RTSS stopped displaying so i opened wattman osd and game crashed along with the video driver

no blackscreen though it auto recovered but i rebooted anyway

17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    There can be other contributing factors. But that is the result of process of elimination. For example: Seasonic put out an alert a while ago advising of adverse effects of the Focus line of PSUs.:
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/s...us-plus-psu-has-gpu-compatibility-issues.html

So it’s not about just having a weak psu alone. Another example is the need to update the bios. So the issues aren’t just black and white. ;)

Side Note:
    I’ve always found it difficult to help somebody who is having a PC problem who only thinks in black and white. For example I had this one client that did have a PSU issue. He would tell me that he tried to update the drivers and when he did so he had issues. But when he reverted back to the old drivers everything was fine. Well when I had a look at his PC I realize that was completely inaccurate description of his issues. Although he could revert the drivers he was having other issues as well.

Being puzzled as I was I asked him why he didn’t he tell me about these other issues? He still had them regardless if he updated the drivers or not. Do you want to know his answer? He said he didn’t tell me because it didn’t relate to the GPU. That is an example of a person only seeing things in black-and-white. Which is a extreme omission of the truth. He ignored all the other issues and only wanted to concentrate on just one thing. At that point I knew moving forward any issues that he may have in the future I would need to see his PC first and not take it over the phone. I had to realize that some people are just not honest about anything.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You should report this on Corsair's forum, so it can be noticed.

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Although I never got a black screen I did report couple months back that running AMD software suite along with SpeedFan would make SpeedFan crash after a couple of days (PC is on 24/7), I don't install AMDs suite now just basic driver and use Afterburner.

I've had my 5700XT running rock solid for the last while and am very happy with it.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I used to get blacn screens on my gtx 275 when running speedfan alongside using the nvidia system tools to adjust my fan by temperature.

this was the days before NVAPI was even a thing.