AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.2 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Yeah, the pixelation around ironsights and scopes is real. I got it to stop once I realized that Beenox changed the way they cache. It's now based on game type instead of all at once (IE: mutliplayer, single player, co-op). So, when you look at the "Main" subfolder I now see there are less cached files then before.

But as it stands now I don't have pixelation.

Send a bug report to AMD about it (if you haven't yet). I can't imagine what more you have to try. See if they can come up with a fix.
    https://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966

Beenox did something in the update that has changed the way caching works and IMO is broken. If they no longer want us to be able to use "Reset Cache" then it should say so and be documented. As it stands now it's a mess. And, I've already uninstalled and re-installed MW2019. And that didn't change the caching behavior.

2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Yes, I did report it when since I got the game.
    I will report it again.

BTW, new stuff to vote for driver features.

https://www.feedback.amd.com/se/5A1...970e52-9f0e-4095-9880-f44ebb09497d_1086454440

Eastcoasthandle, Lipici and Jackalito like this.
  3. Thiago Diniz

Thiago Diniz Member

GPU:
    6700 XT Red Devil
    didn't work for me either, but it seems its a little better now, pixelation occours when aiming to some buildings and not all the time or maybe its my mind wanting it to work as it should be (maybe placebo effect) haha..

4. MaestroBayten

MaestroBayten Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    Do you guys have the same problem on Dividion 2 that the FPS get stuck on 30 and only closing the game fix it?
    It happens mostly if something explodes or you catch fire.

5. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    No problems here, Vega64 Liquid, DX12 Mode and latest 20.2.2 drivers.

MaestroBayten likes this.
  6. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    Need to test DX12 aswell, thanks.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Just Turn OFF HBCC -> Division2 don't like it.

8. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    Did it already it caused me hard freeze so i had to shut down pc.
    Dx12 seems to work better but it seems to have tiny micro stutter.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    For me it's OK
    20.2.2 DX12 noHBCC = smooth
    19.12.1 DX12 noHBCC & DX11 w/HBCC = smooth

For now im staying with 19.12.1, i will try next one 20.3.1 ;) (but with different CRU Freesync settings)

10. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    Never had problems with HBCC, played most of the games with it on even Division 2.
    It started after they did a patch some weeks ago the game started to freeze after some minutes of playing.

11. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Hey, can anyone try BF1 @1440/1080 ultra (or whatever normal settings used to have) and tell me if fps are normal?

Played a couple of hours yesterday and the day before and I think I'm getting about 20-25% lower fps than usual (1440p, ultra, V56 oc and could not go over 105fps, <100 on average). My brother (FX8320@4.2, R290 undervolted, my old rig actually) couldn't even get a "stable" 60fps on average @1080p with a mixed ultra/hi/med.

Lipici likes this.
  12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Some people have noted that performance has dropped after .719 was released. You may want to do a factory reset install of the AMD drivers just to make sure they are internally configured properly.

13. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    In every single bench/game that I've tried (BFV, SoTTR bench, Superposition, Firestrike, Timespy etc), there are small but measurable gains (around 2%) with the 2020 drivers compared to previous versions.

Both my and my brothers rigs are on the latest stable Win10 and the 2020 drivers were installed with the reset setting.

Will investigate, of course, and report back.

14. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i can only play warzone at min texture only, every attempt to raise the text quality results in a dev error 6068. seems to happen to Nvidia owners also.just the luck of the draw i guess.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  15. sof006

sof006 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I would like to post (new to AMD graphics cards) that the latest driver has given me nothing but headaches. Playing games like Destiny 2 or even Fallen Order I get stutter and sometimes black screen when launching the game. Using chill doesn't always work, I have to use CRU because i've found its something to do with the refresh rate of my monitor. The card says its running at 143.855Hz. When I change the refresh rate in CRU it fixes all the issues. I've gone to using ASUS own recommended drivers (yes I know shoot me) on their website and I have absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Driver version I am using now is
    Radeon Software Version

Preferably I would like to be using the latest drivers but I am having no joy, can anyone help? My monitor is a MSI Optix MAG241C.

pharma and JonasBeckman like this.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's interesting, 19.50.19 should be the driver version for 20.2.2 but I've seen some recent 19.30.18 or something, wonder if Windows Update decided to just do it's annoying pain in the behind thing and install something that was theoretically some days newer but actually a older driver build and that messed something up.

Ah no I think I see you're running on a earlier driver due to issues which might be down to timing or well I'm still trying to get at least some understanding of the newer drivers and AMD's hardware because I keep seeing references to the IO being weak on Navi and error prone and apparently the upcoming cards or the new fabrication these are run on have corrected this but that sounds incredibly problematic if the user is expected to buy newer hardware to get the issue resolved permanently without some timings or tweaks via drivers trying to smooth out the issues.

Guessing tweaking the display timings factor into it directly as well relaxing whatever is causing the GPU to error out but I am still trying to figure out what's going on although there was a earlier driver series that had much the same issue for a while at 75 Hz and the GPU just shut down, wonder if it's related and it tries to round it off to 144Hz and something seemingly goes wrong.

Not much I can recommend though there's the whole bit about DP or HDMI certified cabling but the error is on the GPU and anything else just tries to lessen or smooth out the core fault or error which I would expect the driver is also trying to resolve which depending on display and it's hardware and how things connect might not always work very well.

Sounds like you either have to work around it via CRU for now or use a earlier driver and AMD has to fix or work around (If it's the hardware.) whatever problem is causing this GPU shutdown. Don't think Fallen Order is part of Boost so probably unrelated to the card pushing above safe parameters trying to maximize performance which could also be a thing.

Every GPU is going to be a bit different so no idea how AMD intends for boost to do it's thing when some cards are barely stable on the rated frequency they come at unless underclocked.
    (Some undervolt or overclock or even both fairly well but same as Fury and Vega and Polaris others barely operate at all when pushed further so I see boost as a bit unreliable unless the user knows there's some headroom to spare for how this is handled.)

EDIT: Destiny 2 uses boost but not Jedi Fallen Order so not related to that short of just being Unreal Engine 4 and being kinda hard on AMD cards in general I suppose.

Earlier driver fixes try to improve things for the game not sure how the engine copes overall and how it pushes the GPU though I know it's a good stress and stability test for how sensitive the engine can be. (Although I believe it's still not as tough as Frostbite and say Battlefield 5)

Interesting to hear more on how the drivers are behaving on different systems though there's more work for AMD to do before the issues are entirely ironed out whether for the newest Navi cards or the earlier ones that also saw some regressions and other problems with Adrenaline 2020 up these current ones.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah and I think FreeSync has had issues as well, can't really say if it's entirely due to it but I'm glad (Naming stupidity aside.) that the newer standards and feature requirements were added which should hopefully lessen problems with implementing support for this in newer displays.
    FreeSync / FreeSync2 which is sorta anything goes it supports it and that's about it and then Premium which has AMD's minimum standards that need to be met and then the Premium Pro which should probably have been Premium HDR because that's the one difference far as I can tell.

Obviously "Disable FreeSync and test." is a kinda stupid suggestion because it's sorta what makes the monitor a bit special and above the rest having this hardware capability, at least it sounds like it can be worked around though not ideal but better than losing functionality at least.
    I'm not very sensitive to it myself but screen tearing and the downsides of syncing it yeah it's good stuff which should also be making it a priority to fix if it's bugged in some way driver side of the implementation.
    (Which from the problems posted about 20.2.2 so far yeah there's still several regarding FreeSync so there might be something here too that needs looking into for future driver releases.)

EDIT: Don't know the panel on the display itself but there's some posts on that too.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/cus7x6/freesync_issue_with_mag241c/

Wonder if that induces a display loss and signal error though why the GPU then shuts down is a separate problem itself, flickering shouldn't be that problematic whatever is going on.

Then again if I wanted to crash the earlier drivers I just had to turn the monitor on and off and that'd get a TDR and driver reset for a while both with 19.x and 20.x drivers because from what I could find Dell had less than good hardware for the display scalar and Display Port connectivity possibly HDMI too until 2017 and this is a 2016 display.
    (Worked fine on the Vega GPU but not the Navi one, might be something to how sensitive these GPU's are in some regards like the I/O but I can't really say for certain.)

As a newer 2019 display I would think things are better here but there could be something in regards to the panel for what I could find but again it shouldn't terminate the entire GPU in this way.
    (AMD could have done a better job with minimum requirements and some standards like what NVIDIA did with GSync though to avoid some problems.)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    OnnA likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601
    unplug net
    run that tool
    install 20.2.2
    profit?

Passus likes this.
  19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Should be part of the driver as well if you tick the box to do a factory reset or how it's called, just have to also unplug net connectivity or Windows Update will do it's thing immediately because the base display driver obeys no real settings for driver updates for the OS and it will pull whatever it finds from the Windows Update servers and that's not really ideal for a clean install.

On that note if the drivers are *that* sensitive to breaking or not doing a proper install then the default should be for that to be ticked while AMD also resolves whatever that problem is because it's also something that really shouldn't be existing when doing a driver update, clean installs can be really useful for troubleshooting but somethings off if things are that bad for AMD's install routine.
    ("Adrenaline 2020 now installs faster!" Yeah but it'd be nice if it also installed in a consistent working fashion even if it's a tad slower if things went really bad here for that little bit of it too.)

EDIT: Tool itself is right here after a driver install also.
    C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\Bin64

AMDCleanupUtility.exe

Astyanax likes this.
  20. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Hello,
    what graphic card you have and what exact values you changed in CRU?
    Have you tried to disable VSR? (Virtual Super Resolution)