PlayStation 5 would have a GPU of 11 TFLOPs: 3328 Stream Processors at 1743MHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. These next gen consoles pack a pretty decent amount of power. I think maybe they have finally edged out pc in price versus performance. Even if they cost 6 or 7 hundred dollars, it would take at least 1000 bucks worth of computer to top it. It isnt going to sway me towards console gaming, but it's kinda neat to see.

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    price vs performance has always been a win on console side.
    Was performance alone that was not great.
    I mean ps4 you spent 399 5 years ago and you are still playing all games that pops out.

4. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    If this becomes true, there is no way PS5 or Xbox Series X will run anything above 4K60, so why is it claimed that it can run games at 8K? or is this just support for movies at 8K??,

Anyway even at 4k60 all games will need ultimate optimization to pull it off. Which I sam sure that will happen like on the PS4 and Xbox one x, checkerboarding etc...but this time with true 60 fps and not at 30fps.

My 1080Ti has 11 Tflops, it cant run latest games at 4K60, mostly due to bad optimization by game developers, a 2080ti can do it better of course and the upcoming 3000 series cards will most definetly do it with even higher frames and with less frame time.

So my question is, why dont PS5 and Xbox one X use the latest unreleased cutting edge graphics cards like the upcoming 3000 series from Nvidia or upcoming AMD cards in their console systems?

I guess we will find out how it runs, but only if people has already bought one of the consoles??

Why are they using "existing" or similar performance AMD cards which already has been released and tested and proven that it cant run 4k60fps at max settings, unless you bump down the image quality dramatically?

I know that a console build is an complete embedded system, and that a 11 or 12 TFLOPS integrated GPU might perform totally different, but I think its an marketing gimmick.. We need real tests and proofs of latest heavy games to see how these console perform and how they perform against a high end PC build with similar specs or better. Only than we can say, ok this is truly a next-gen console.

Going from 4k30 to just 4k60 is OK, but I cant call it next-gen high performance console...Its mereley an hardware upgrade as we PC gamers upgrade our cards to acheive higher frames at higher resolutions.

signex likes this.

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Your PC can if you dumb the graphics down to console levels since many newer games can match the Xbox One X @ 4k60 using only a GTX 1060 in a $500 PC.

Check out the Potato Masher Pro on youtube for more information.

6. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I mean the xbox one x did that massively when it came out didn't it? was like £450 quid but you could not make a PC that price, unless you got lucky on used market, even then I don't think you could.... Then you could get used Xbox one X's for £380/£400

7. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz

They don't use the latest and greatest top of the line parts because if they did, the consoles would have to be sold at $2000+ (AUD) to be profitable, i mean a 2080Ti still costs $1800 AUD here minimum and you want them to put next gen 3000 series which isn't even out yet in it?

It already looks like they are going to be selling this next gen of consoles at a loss, i doubt they are willing to make that loss over $1000 to $1500 (AUD) per console...

If you want bleeding edge stick to PC and pay the price for it, otherwise console is more of a "good enough" option, though when they first release a new generation it tends to be more than "good enough" and it looks like this next gen of consoles will out perform PC's that cost 2 or 3 times more than the new consoles cost (assuming they keep the console price between $500 and $900 AUD).

PC generally only catches up to consoles in value in the later half of their lifecycle when the console hardware is really showing its age.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Both consoles are gonna need some serious cooling.

Deleted member 271771 likes this.
  9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    This is nonsense.
    Is clear that there is no gaming at 8k right now. Not gaming as you guys started to intend it.
    Console always had lesser graphic compared to a big computer, but always a better gaming compared to the average cheap pc.

If it can output 8k at 60hz, it will be able to play games at that resolution too, provided that the settings are low enough.
    My ps4 pro can already do 4k60 on some really simple game ( like a 3d version of the old outrun ). Is upscaled to 4k and runs smooth as butter. Is just low poly, no texture. done.

This is the NEXT GEN because is the generation AFTER ps4 and xbox one.
    Is the high performance console because you can compare it with low performance ones ( generally nintendo's )

`So my question is, why dont PS5 and Xbox one X use the latest unreleased cutting edge graphics cards like the upcoming 3000 series from Nvidia or upcoming AMD cards in their console systems?`

Because no one wants to buy a 2000$ dollar console that will get outdated as fast as the 600 dollar one.
    And because NVIDIA wasn't able to propose a deal with CPU and GPU together
    And because NVIDIA 3000 serie isn't ready for christmas probalby while console have to be.

10. This. they will indeed.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Sony better have spent money this time around on cooling compared to the joke that is the ps4 pro cooling, i don't know how they got away with such shoddy work last time.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Looking forward to this gen of consoles. As someone that bought PS3 only in 2018 (and I love it, gives me some warm nostalgic feeling), if this gen will have backward compatibility - will definitely get one for myself.

Ricepudding likes this.
  13. Pixelize

Pixelize Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X
    Those consoles are not designed/build for a month... by the time they were in design process thats was in AMD pipeline that they can pick up.
    Also you cant put a 250W+ GPU (high end GPU) and a 120W+ CPU (16 core 32 threads) in a console... A 400W+ console will need a beefy cooling solution more powerful PSU, making the console also bigger and heavier.
    A regular user dont want that.

14. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Never mind 8K, rendering at 1080P and then just up-scaling the finished frame using basic matrix to fake 4K is not even true 4K - its just cheating. I hate when consoles marketing claim this crap and people believe them.
    I mean if fake 4K is all someone wants then let their console render at 1080P and then let their 4K TV do the fake up-scaling - it won't be much different, but will be much easier on the console hardware and framerates.

15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    As far as we know, they are both supposed to use RDNA 2 for the iGPU. That architecture isn't yet being sold, so it'll be brand new. The CPU side will be Zen 2, which is just fine and plenty enough for consoles. In fact it's a huge upgrade from the old consoles.

16. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Can't find the source right now, but Sony recently said they would be spending more on cooling for PS5 than they have for previous consoles. It was talked about on a recent episode of the Giant Bomb podcast.

17. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well they were doing that checkerboard method to hit 4k, whilst using around 1440p to 1800p, Personally i'm fine with this, from far away enough which a TV normally is you don't notice it. Specially in motion, its a good trick to the mind.... Now they are looking at the method where it will run different resolutions based on where on the screen it is... It's all to save GPU power, personally i think its clever, cause they will never be PC level so they create all these methods and do these amazing things to make the games look darn good for the hardware its on

18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm really hoping they give us access to the PS3 games, i'd be happy with PS1/2/4, but 3 would be great to have. But they're being very quiet about it all right now sadly

19. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I assume it will be 8k Streams, its possible for Indie games 8k? but they might be super rare and even then I dont know if they would run, maybe 8k30?

Got to remember that consoles often use techniques like checkerboarding and the new one where resolution changes on different areas of the screen to achieve extra "horsepower". It is just marketing fluff though, they will either have to use techniques to pull it off, or lower quality to achieve it. pure 4K30 will be this generation though. Personally I hope they allow for more options and choice like we do have on PC.

I'm happy to run the game at 1600p upscaled if it means i can get 60fps, I don't need to have 2160p for all my games if it means running at 30fps. But shall see what happens just i hope we got more choice and options on how we run the games

20. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    The majority of games will be running on AMD RDNA2, can't imagine how well optimized future games will be.