Intel Core i5-10400 Photos and Details

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    To compete with Ryzen 3600, motherboard / socket prices should also be considered. So same price just for CPU, doesn't cut here.

jbscotchman and gx-x like this.
  3. longest

longest Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus
    2.90ghz base clock for a hexacore. pathetic, intel. and i assume they have the same security flaws as the other ones before it, because intel keeps making the same cpu for 5-6 years now and only keeps changing "rules" for what motherboard you can use. artificially, of course

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    These i5's should have HT long time ago. Ryzen 3600 still looks better option.

jbscotchman, RzrTrek and schmidtbag like this.

5. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    it never works at that clock, it's either lower (sub 2000) or or max clock when loaded (4.4ghz or 4ghz depending on load). However, you can adjust those, as they are just power states. Simply go to power saving in windows, go advanced, and go under cpu section and set whatever you would like.

Security flaws, yes. If you let a "hacker" into your house and allow him to use your PC while you are not there, those security flaws are your main concern.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  6. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    One would say this blue guy is late to the party, even more so when the red zen III is lurking...;)

jbscotchman likes this.
  7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's funny when people make these points, because they make no sense.

Zen 2 doesn't hit 5ghz, yet can compete with Intel machines running at 5ghz. Higher clocked speeds definitely are nice, but a more efficient core I would take over higher clocked speeds. Also remember, on both platforms if you have all the power states enabled, you're going to run below the base clock anyways. Base clock really doesn't have any major impact.

Let's take lga1151, the 2 generations have the same pin count and array, but these pins are not wired the same. Same as it was with V1 and V2 2011.

Not all AM4 boards are going to get future updates to support future AM4 cpus. Now it's nice though that in general AM4 is widely supported, but if I had an entry level b350 board at launch of original Ryzen I would most likely have to get a new board still to support a higher end zen 2 cpu.

Intel is being very aggressive with their pricing and features of this cpu it seems, which is great. I really hope they urge board partners to be just as aggressive with motherboard costs.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I feel like Intel chip names are starting to become silly.

Undying and jbscotchman like this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yeah they need to change it up.

10. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Have you checked Motherboard prices? Intel is already cheaper then x570.
    If new Intel CPUs match AMD in prices, Intel total package will be both Cheaper and Faster.

11. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    It's very dishonest of you to say that if you had a B350 board you would "most likely" have to buy a new board for a Zen 2 processor. If you have a B350 motherboard, with a few exceptions, you can put a Zen 2 processor in there with a BIOS upgrade, which AMD will also provide you a CPU to do, and run it fine. The only exceptions are not technical exceptions from AMD but instead motherboard manufacturers who put too little ROM space on the motherboard for the BIOS update, which AMD provides to vendors.

By and large, any AM4 CPU can go in any AM4 motherboard. Even if you prefer Intel's processors for other reasons, you have to own that Intel requires way too many motherboard upgrades. Just stating a fact like "These aren't wired the same" doesn't absolve Intel, or you in their defense, of owning why they chose to make them electrically different and if there were some way they could have planned ahead to avoid that, as AMD seems to have done.

Your two options for positions are: Intel doesn't seem to value compatibility, which hurts your argument, or they aren't as capable of achieving it as AMD, which also hurts your argument.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    B450 baby. Who the hell cares about X570 and its PCI 4.0 that only 1% of consumers can utilize.

Is there Intel mobos cheaper that B450?

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Looking at newegg you can get a nice micro B450 or LGA 1151 (300 series) around $70 which is what I paid for my Asrock b450m Pro4 that supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box (that's a big plus). Ryzen 3600's are holding in the $180-$200 range so if this new Intel chip can match that then yes they do have a really good shot at being very competitive in that segment.

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Grrrrr!...they should just make a motherboard that any processor can fit in.

[​IMG]

and while you're at it....how about let's have World Peace!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    To be fair to AMD, there's some cracking budget boards to be had. Sure, the X570 ones are more expensive, but nothing wrong with some of the B450 boards. Still, overall, Intel have the upper hand here.

EDIT: Actually, there's quite a few decent B450 boards to be had, everyone's pick seems to be the MSI Tomahawk at £99. Z390 boards cost a little more. So AMD have the upper hand here, unless you go X470 or X570.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Not Z390 ones, no. Other chipsets, are on par.

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Will see, as Intel introduces yet another new socket (1200)....

18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Cheaper doesn't always mean better, got to remember that. though I would say on average AMD motherbaords might be a tad cheaper its not always a fair fight as they might have different features

not to mention we don't know if the intel ones might cost more to make due to how the pins are done to circuit the board (as an exmaple). (this is kinda a mute point and i hope intel doesnt do this)

I think the level of competition we are having now, it will cause it to be more level. same way intel CPU's have got cheaper (least based on core counts)

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That's the whole point. If Intel mobos costs more due to pins, it make sense for AMD CPU to cost more due to having pins on the CPU side.

So it comes down to the price of the whole package (CPU + Mobo).

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Overall, there's some great boards to be had for under £120, both AMD and Intel. I tend to go with Asus for my boards, all of my boards over the last 15 years have been Asus, other than one disastrous Gigabyte board. I guess I'm just old and am familiar with their bios and features. And more often than not I'll spend £300 ish on a board, just because I want the extra USB ports, better power phases, SATA ports etc. The way I see it, a board lasts me for some 3-4 years so it's not a problem.

That being said, AMD absolutely hit the jackpot with their partner's B450 boards. Great value for money and if I was building on a stricter budget, they're the obvious choice.

sverek likes this.