AMD Talks RDNA2, Raytracing, Roadmaps and a possible teaser of Big NAVI

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    none of them are our friend, they are all just looking for ways to seperate us from our money - it always seems its just the 'cost ignorant' people who come out with it too.

2. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    You don't own AMD Graphics card, but You do know everything about them? Am i wrong?
    Only Nvidia card i ever had was 1070ti (and 6800gt, but who counts that?), every other card was from AMD or ATI, and i never had any issues with them. More issues i had with that one nvidia than any AMD card. Why do You all Nvidia fanboys always talk bad about AMD, when You never own one? I had 5700XT from Asus, and i don't have any issues with some black screen, or any other problem You fanboys talking on forums, and You know why? Because there is no problem with drivers, there are problems with something else maybe, and non smart guys who can't read! Every problem and solution for problems You have with Your PC, You can find on internet. But You need brain and skill to read. That is my oppinion, no offense to anybody.

3. Alienwarez567

Alienwarez567 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    I think the best thing would be if AMD actually pulls a rabbit out their arse and deliver a 4K gaming card at a decent price Nvidia will have to turn down their prices and all consumers both Nvidia lovers and AMD lovers will be better off

OnnA likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i think you're market unaware to continue the rantings that nvidia is doing anything other than adjusting to market costs.

Caesar likes this.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    What is the difference between 7nm enhanced and 7nm+? none. They are both a improved process of the actual 7nm.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    R VII:
    Stream processors: 3840
    TMU: 240
    Memory bandwidth: 1,024 GB/s

5700 XT:
    Stream processors: 2560
    TMU: 160
    Memory bandwidth: 448.0 GB/s

I'd say you need to take into account that substantial difference when comparing them. If you get as much torque and HP out of a V6 as from a V8 but with less fuel consumption, it's something to pay attention to. In other words if Navi had had the same number of compute units, it might have eaten as much power, but it would have been a whole lot ahead of R VII.

OnnA likes this.
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    One uses EUV for some layers the other doesn't, it's just improved over the initial TSMC 7nm launch.

As for the 50% comparison they are clearly comparing it to 14nm and not 7nm GCN. An additional 50% over RDNA is what they are "aiming for" according to the actual call. I think it's doable - RDNA still had a lot of left over GCN parts that needed to be updated. Couple that with probably getting most games to utilize VRS and you can definitely improve the perf/w significantly on the same node.

Caesar and pharma like this.
  8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    N7 is initial DUV version (RDNA)
    N7P is second gen N7 using DUV (enhanced)
    N7+ is an EUV version

9. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    Ahh, more AMD propaganda.....

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No let them keep doing it - they basically highlight themselves as biased, making it easier to figure out whose opinion to ignore.

Astyanax likes this.

11. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    We will see, talk is cheap.

Vega's architecture was also supposed to bring 4X the performance per watt than previous generation.

But I hope this time it’s what AMD says.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I don't recall 4x perf/w for Vega at all and quickly looking at slides for Vega's launch I don't see this claim.

Can you provide a source for that?

13. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
  14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    AMD's latest Ryzen Mobile 4000 APU's are already pulling in some great performance per watt numbers. I expect AMD to hit the projected 50% for RDNA2. I have a feeling they have nailed what was causing the most power inefficiencies. How well will this stack up to Nvidia's 3000 series I'm not sure. Even with the 50% performance per watt I still expect Nvidia to be ahead especially in the high end but would be happy to be wrong.

15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    @kings Source for those slides? This looks like something Wccftech would put out from rumors. If its from AMD cool but I doubt they are.

16. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Says underneath - under NDA until April 1 2017...

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    First slide is fake:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/2017/04/i-got-hit-hard-by-this-april-fools-joke/

Second slide is from the Ve.ga site AMD used to tease Vega launch - it was referring to RPM. When it leaked even WCCFTECH says this:

So if anything they claimed that Vega is twice as efficient as it's previous architecture. I don't know if that's true or not but they definitely didn't say 4x perf/w or 4x, outside of the context of RPM.

Edit: Changed my post to make it more clear.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Embra, pharma and JamesSneed like this.
  18. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yes I can read. I just want to know the source of the slides. If my memory serves me right this was a "leaked" slide deck that AMD never put out to the public.

19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yeah there we go that is what I was trying to remember. Yes they did get about 4x performance on single precision compared to there own prior generation.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  20. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Yeah, my mistake guys, I apologize. I didn't know about these Aprils fools slides.