86% of desktop processors sold in February in Germany are from AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm a current user. My wife is a current user. My wifes cousin is a current user. Between us 3, it knows of 1 pc, and it knows it twice. It is not my "current" pc, regardless if steam is on it (i mostly use it for media, and the very, very small amount of games that can be played on the tv with it), so no, it doesn't show what "current" users have, as far as i know, we don't even know when "old data" falls off, if ever. And again i'm not an outlier here this is a situation that has been discussed across the internet for 10+ years. People arnt getting the request for a survey, some people are manually doing it, and often when people do, it's old hardware.

It is information, it's just not information people should rely on in any way, use as an arguement/reason for anything, because it's flawed. Which is my entire point to the original person who posted it.

It'd be fine if it showed what "current users" have, but that would require yearly requests for data from all current steam users, requests when it sees new hardware for a specific PC, and no duplicate data with a fall-off from PCs it hasnt seen online for at least 1 year. But it doesn't do all of that so we don't have a clue what all the data is from, how old it is, how many duplicates there are, and how many people it's not even requesting data from.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're wasting your time.... I've been trying to get the same point across for years.

I've had Steam installed for several years. Haven't been surveyed yet....

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Aura89 likes this.
  3. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW

steam://takesurvey/2

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The fact you can request to manually take the survey doesnt make the data it is presenting anymore or less flawed.

No one is saying you CAN'T force it, we're saying its entire methodology is flawed.

How is this getting lost in translation? Lol

sverek likes this.

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Hilbert... why do you keep posting this deceptive garbage? The only sales numbers come from a single retailer, Mindfactory. Stating that these numbers reflect all retailers in Germany is just flat out fake news. This retailers entire focus and product pricing are focused specifically to move AMD products. In fact, you can't even find a mention of Intel on their main page, even in the list of brands they sell. These guys had AMD outselling Intel even back during Bulldozer and Phenom.

If you want actual market share data instead of this nonsense, check out Mercury Research. They put AMD desktop CPU sales at around 18.5%

metagamer likes this.
  6. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Strange. I've been surveyed quite a few times. At least once a year.

mbk1969 likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That almost sounds like its time for an intervention.

good thing we're talking about pc's here.

Maddness, carnivore and mbk1969 like this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Aura89

I see only two ways to proof the flawed methodology of Steam survey:
    1. Ask each Steam user whether he was surveyed (and how many times).
    2. Apply for job in Valve and then ask Gabe during coffee-break.
    Otherwise you just assume.
    To be statistically correct Steam survey should involve enough users - not all of them. And judging by the the data in the page I linked Steam collected data about CPUs every year mentioned there.

PS And you are two serious and too passionate. Take it easy, relax. Nobody is attacking AMD here in this thread.

PPS Are you a mathematician?

9. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Trying to argue that steam is inaccurate because it doesn't survey everyone all the time shows a lack of understanding of basic statistics. You don't need to survey everyone, you just need to survey enough and make sure those surveyed come from a random cross-section. Steam quite easily survey enough people, as it's user base is huge, even a tiny % of that is plenty to be accurate.

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I've seen a lot of "hot news" posted recently that were nothing but click bait garbage. Kinda sad.

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Puts on tinfoil hat

What if Steam auto-survey only Novidia users?

Takes tinfoil hat off the head and wraps it around the ass as it was

mbk1969 and Tiny_Clanger like this.
  12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    "Trying to argue that steam is inaccurate because it doesn't survey everyone all the time shows a lack of understanding of basic statistics." I do not believe anyone is arguing that. That would be silly. Every poster so far seems to be aware this is SAMPLING. Sheesh. You cannot make any assertions regarding the contextual accuracy of any particular metric. Only Steam knows this and only Steam know precisely how they use the information. So we can bifurcate this: It's accurate and not flawed as far as Steam is concerned.
    For everyone else, the public, it is a survey with a lot of missing context.

mbk1969 likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Quite easy to mitigate: you put AMD videocard into the spare PCI-E slot, then disable it, and when you are about to launch the Steam, you activate it - and voila - Steam sees the AMD videocard and leaves you alone. Then you can deactivate spare videocard before launching the game.

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    When I was in college, I was doing crazy things with my rig. I'd fit 3 random video cards (GTX8800, HD4850, HD6850) onto motherboard and run Folding@Home.
    It worked without issues, but the heat was quite bad :D

should of launched steam and let it decide what video card it will pick.

15. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It is a little frustrating reading the ridiculous conversation about steam survey, regardless of it being flawed or not, i would argue that it is completely irrelevant to the conversation in this thread at this time. Steam survey looks at all hardware, it has nothing to do with new hardware that's being sold which is what the story was actually about. How can I say this more clearly so that even a chimp could understand? It is irrelevant that 78% of people are using Intel in a conversation about latest sales. It would take over a decade for AMD to represent even half of CPU on steam even if Intel stopped selling products today as the old machine will keep running.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Just skip it.
    It was me who brought Steam survey link here. I was just joking about all those German people buying AMD CPUs not being the Steam users. Then Aura89 came probably thinking that I refer to the survey with some nasty intentions...

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I declined steam survey 2-3x in the last 4-5years, it haven't asked me since and Im on steam since ~2008, mostly because it looked to nosy what to send.

I would get the data from here, see how many AMD users posted recently and then make some sort of conclusion.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

quick look 9600k vs amd R5 3600, it shows 3600 is more popular now and what got 14K votes in 8months vs 14k by intel in ~18 months.
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/4031vs4040

18. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Only noobs use this site ;)

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    The only noob here is you calling other noobs like that lol