Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    As I read it, it is about video playback.
    I guess Windows will never be a gamer optimized OS because majority of users use it for internet and for office.

WhiteLightning, Kolt and Smough like this.
  2. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    interesting, i have the CFG one and DEP, will add these too and see

Smough likes this.
  3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I decided to check the Mandatory ASLR setting and it was disabled as Default, guess when you disable Bottom-up ASLR, the mandatory one gets deactivated. I decided to force it off anyway just in case. Since this is most likely the issue that causes standby memory to get bugged and cause stutter in games, I don't want that. I guess that's for users that download any stuff on their computer and execute it without even thinking about it.

Here's a bit more on this regard https://msrc-blog.microsoft.com/2017/11/21/clarifying-the-behavior-of-mandatory-aslr/

As I see it and from what I could gather, these mitigations from the Defender make apps locate memory randomly and does not allow them to locate it in a "not randomized" manner, which makes sense it can cause problems in games, because a game needs to allocate memory to a certain spot and keep in there, if its random, I picture the game code trying to read the memory from a mess since its randomized by the Defender, which makes sense that by cleaning it every few minutes or seconds it becomes smooth again, until it fills it again and stutters.

The problem is that some games need the standby memory always active and never cleaned; Metro: Exodus becomes a stutter fest if you clean the standby memory, The Division 2 uses all of your RAM and does not free up any, Forza Horizon 4 would get constant microstutter, sometimes it would crash and so forth. Cleaning the standby due to in-game stutters was a band aid, not a solution because some games would respond badly to it and they need it. MS will never fix this probably and users that report no issues are most likely using another antivirus solution. I feel ok with Defender, honestly I don't even think I need it, but its better than nothing.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I play quite a bit of both Division 2 and Forza Horizon 4 and neither of these games in the most recent versions of Windows 18363.357 use more than about 40% of my 32GB of memory even after hours of straight play. Division 2 sure like to use up every last bit of VRAM too. I'm typically at 10.5GB or higher in game.

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I forgot to mention that I was talking about users with 8 and 16GB of RAM.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That was in the back of my head that those playing with 16GB or less *could see some performance issues. I've been running with what most consider double the need for physical memory just for gaming for quite awhile. Nothing replaces physical memory when you need it.

mbk1969 and Smough like this.
  7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    16GB is totally fine without that crappy standby memory issue, which is fixed. Also nothing wrong when games run better with it not getting flushed, developers should be allowed to expect OS and driver memory management not to be a pathetic pile of burning tires.

8. jonaaa20

jonaaa20 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I'm using Windows 10 2004, nothing has changed (at least not for me.)

Only enabled MSI mode, nothing else changed, all exploit protections are enabled (default), Windows Defender disabled, Game Mode enabled, Gamebar enabled, FSO also enabled.

Using latest drivers (442.50), here's a quick video:

[​IMG]

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Forza Horizon 4 ran fine for me with 8GB + ISLC @ 1920x1080 60hz i72600k @4.5Ghz. never lagg in hours of play. I was actually surprised it ran so well.

10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Probably due to your GPU VRAM, even so, a lot of users were reporting issues with the game with 8GB of RAM; from crashes to stutter, so maybe you were lucky or maybe you have a very well optimized Windows. No idea what your ISLC config is or was, but it make the game a lot worse for me. Anyway, I don't need it anymore since the issue gets solved on Windows 1803 by disabling Defender Bottom-up ASLR, so it doesn't matter if the standby memory gets full at any game (as it should anyway), there is no stutter or any fps drop.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Then you have a major problem that lies elsewhere. If a game such as GRID 2 had stutter for me, I would be very, very concerned. I actually stopped playing that game because it bored me to death, nice graphics tho. FSO can cause issues at some games, so you have to test by enabling them or disabling them by .exe. Also the fact you are using FSO and then disabling v-sync in games makes zero sense. FSO are meant to be used with v-sync to get perfect frame pacing.

You also have a 4 core CPU that is relatively weak due to clock speed and 90 to 100% usage spikes will cause stutter at some games depending on their engine, it will also cause major frametime breaking. If you actually capped your fps at that game or any other game, you would have a much more consistent experience. If you want a full, fat premium experience with low CPU usage, get an i7. That will remove any CPU limitation at most games, even so some really, really demanding games do require 6 physical cores, such as the new Wildlands game.

Also, didn't you report Windows 1607 had no issues? Then why did you update?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Just curious what your committed memory value is when this stutter occurs. Can you check? It's under the Memory tab in the Task Manager.

13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
  14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Honestly, I am kind of surprised such a resource friendly game stutters for him. I've seen that game running on almost anything, I would be very worried if even the less demanding games would stutter like that for me.

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I tried the demo and you're right. Very resource friendly. No sign of stutter.

Smough likes this.

16. Maulcun

Maulcun Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    What is your pc specs? Smough

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you tried to visit his profile?

18. jonaaa20

jonaaa20 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Sure, there you go.

[​IMG]

I really don't want to be stuck in 1607... i'm always updating to test if Microsoft has fixed it but... well, still the same, anyway, at least for me, about the CPU, obviously my CPU is weak but the question is that i never had this problem until 1703, i recently upgraded my ram to 2x8GB (was 2x4GB) and the system multitasking is much better but the stutter drama is still the same, it also happens with GTA V after ~30min, some games are working perfectly fine without stutter like The Witcher 3, Battlefield 4, etc.

theoneofgod likes this.
  19. Maulcun

Maulcun Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    No

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    BIOS settings? Have you done any changes or tweaks to that? Also, do you run games on HDD or SSD?

And yeah, 1607 is dated, but if it doesn't give you issues, then you should keep using it.