GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Dec 10, 2019.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I've installed it yesterday, and am enjoying it so far. Finally, someone had a good idea for once!

3. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yeah true! hopefully there will be a way to kill the launchers in the future. would totally love to be using only this tbh and get rid of steam / origin / uplay.

emperorsfist likes this.
  4. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Yeah, that would be really nice, but that's going to remain a dream for a looong time... XD

So far, the only way to get rid of launchers/clients is cracks and buying stuff on GOG.

cerebus23 and WhiteLightning like this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So help me understand fellow gurus, does it still start both galaxy 2.0 and e.g. steam when you want to launch a steam game?

6. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Yes, this happens with all "linked" launchers (eg. Epic, Origin, Uplay), however there is an option in Galaxy 2's settings that will turn the linked launcher off automatically when you close the game down.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ahh yes, that makes sense and is very smart. Will give this a spin, I just checked, was invited to closed beta but totally forgot about it... :(

emperorsfist likes this.
  8. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Dude, be glad you weren't a clutz like me. I go invited to the closed beta as well, but managed tu purge my Gmail before realising! XD

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Oh, finally. Didn't get into the closed beta, so I've been looking forward to this for a while.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    fantaskarsef and cerebus23 like this.

11. Holy Moly that is a brutal change and I actually agree with developers that this might be abused. Since GOG can't provide an accurate in-game time metrics, they should limit the refunds to let's say 3-5 days from the initial download.

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    or some time played a month in theory is plenty of time to play the hell out of rpg and return it. granted that is an insanse thing to do 200 hours in one month, but it is doable.

i said in the past types of games need dfifferent return windows, rpgs take longer to vet then fps. your tutorial levels can be longer then then return window for some games.

1 hour for fps and 10 hours for a rpg roughly probably should be a more fair way and keep the 30 day window or time played.

devs lost their minds over this though worst cases abound.

13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    The thing with GOG is , there is no way to see how much someone has played the game as you can download the games without galaxy as well.

I fully understand devs on this one. but something must be done for sure. just how many times have a bought games which were not working properly due to bugs, and i really didnt want to refund as the devs said, fix is coming up, and it really didnt fix things.
    30 days will be over really fast that way.

Its easy for a indie dev to be against stuff like that, but the situation is a whole lot of different with games larger then the games that look like they can be played on the phone.

So why not release the games without bugs to start with. I dunno , survey the game under 100 people or what ever.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I might give this a try.
    Currently have... Steam, UPlay, Origin, battle.net... bethesda.net... and others.

Is a little annoying. Having one launcher would be much better.

15. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    So only the listed platforms can be added for now?

I was hoping to have battle.net added, that would be neat.

EDIT: Oh you can! Just download this and place the folder into the plugin folder in your GOG directory. Restart and install extension. Very neat indeed.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    don't make bad games and they won't get refunded.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's not that simple. People will refund a good or even great game.
    And with GoG's current setup, 30 days. You could buy, play and finish a game... and refund it.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There is statistical data that disproves this occurs at all in more than single digit scenario's, Make a good game and you have nothing to worry about.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    On Steam, with it's two hour/two week time limit. Yeah.

But, with GoG offering 30 days and no way to track play time...
    Could easily see people buy, play and finish good games, then request a refund because they got what they wanted out of them.

Lots of people only play a game once.

20. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I can see where you are coming from and agree that some people would have no qualms about just refunding games that they have finished. But on the other hand there are plenty of examples that contradict it. You have plenty of people who pirate games as demos and then buy the ones they like, people who again pirated games as teenagers and are buying many of those, once they are adults with income. You can even see it in the verifiable example of steam. When they ventured into Russia, everyone told them that they would loose money, because in Russia piracy is rampart and selling games is often a loss. Yet today it is one of the most profitable markets for steam. So I would say that there are reasons for GoG to think that this policy would work and that good games and good service sells.