Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    it is 2 games in open development one is a single player trilogy which is hush and under wraps til next year ish, and this is the mmo we talking about here.

it is not a flight sim but it s sandbox space sim of sorts or is getting to be that slowly. very slowly atm to some.

its been in development about 6 years to the tune of roughly 230 240 million over that time.

oh and they just added persistence to the servers, hence some of us are starting to play ;P and 3.9 in a few weeks adds the first survival mechanics and prison gameplay.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no man sky is a rip off of this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cerebus23 likes this.
  3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No Man sky released as a full game and added the content post launch it didn't at any point ask people to spend on

a). The initial game release or
    b). on the content that it has since added.

as far as I am aware SC reached their 'funding goal' ages ago but are STILL ask for people to give them money for what is a Beta product, also if No Man's Sky has released to market as a 'complete product' and is getting it's additions out the door and on to the game and SC is still sitting in Beta doesn't that MAKE SC the copycat?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it didn't.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea no mans lie released as a no content sandbox with puddle deep generation. moslty hyped up by their front mans mouth writing checks the dev team could never make for a release.

to their credit for sure they fixed up the game to be somewhat in the ballpark of what was sold fans when the game was pitched to them. still is missing a ton of the features it was to launch with.

in alpha star citizen is as complete at no mans lie was period. it has very limited loops of gameplay the few that are there are buggy and breaking so there is that also. and we getting a few more soon. backers who backed knew what they were singing up for, the children that came in later that thing games grown on tress and everything is easy mode game dev wise, are the people saying this is vaporware or a scam.

and no man lie also took 2 years of updates to get to the point it turned reviews around or darn near it.

star citizen rsi has not released a game yet period it is a alpha build of a game that you are paying to access and support.

and tbh far as the cost of AAA games go? star citizen is a deal. only if you go beyond the base level and get into special edition and over packages is where it get silly and that is on you.

but for 65 dollars or so you get the base game chapter 1 access, mmo access, and a ship. that is the cheapest package going. that is good value for money over more games where you do not even get the complete game for that you need to add n season passes and dlc and the special editions for that will run 85 to 100 for that you can get a more specialzed ship and the games tied to it.

and if you had bought in at the base start package with the legacy packs i think the cheapest you got in was 35 or 45.

carrack in 2016 pitched was 350 dollars. now its 500.

most of the ships i bought have gone up in value far as the games concerned.

and with special special editions in the 150 range that is a cutlass black one of the best mid level jack or trades pirate ship and games packages. or a base hornet combat ship.

6. kapo

kapo Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    For someone who hasn't followed this games development much at all and won't buy until its completed, can you tell me how difficult it will be to earn some of these ships in game that cost hundreds of dollars of real money right now? This is something that has been bothering me for a while but I don't know anything about it really. Thanks.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I learned about No Mans Sky in 2013, and Star Citizen was announced in 2012....... So ObViOuSlY No MaN'S sKy Is A rIp Of Of StAr CiTiZeN.. I'm joking of course, the games are nothing alike.

If NMS had flight mechanics like SC that would be awesome, flying in NMS is very arcade'y

I hope Squadron 42 releases on Steam :<

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Noone knows until beta ish for 100% sure?

atm missions pay out several k to 10k ish for the more difficult missions, hauling nets decent cash, mining.

ships are available for purchase and rent at major ports, but i think i heard rentals are buggy atm.

you can make about 10k an hour when you get in a good group or get gud gud ship in game to do the harder stuff.

but that is current game and 3.9 is the new dynamic economy vs the 100% scripted one CR was married to until what 6 months ago?

that will change the hauling and etc meta a ton and how will that effect the UEC flow? also think missions are getting some hard mode content the idris battle in 3.9 and etc.

and when we hit beta things may change massively in the end but dunno.

9. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Lol 23 years time I can see someone creating a post like that for SC. Only difference being that unlike NMS, SC will STILL be asking for money to get the game sorted.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You'll find no support for your refund sub bs here, Derek.

11. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Lol touched a nerve, kudos on the same weak come back you used 7 months ago when I highlighted the stupid cost of an in game motorbike ;)

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Why is this thread even alive? About a game that will never come to life....

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    so constructive and retarded you 2. thx 4 checking in

TekkMarine likes this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I spent about an hour watching someone play it yesterday via twitch, from what I can tell there are a lot of people playing it.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm waiting for them to declare "no more wipes ever" before getting into it more than just jumping in a ship and crashing it into the side of a space station xD

the last few patches have retained persistence but theres still the odd chance of a wipe.

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    oh there will be wipes its alpha and there wil be a beta, and major point updates odds are will see some wipes.

but i think they going to try to advoid that as much as possible so people can enjoy thier stuff their earn.

lack of persistence is what put most off. was little point to progressing to earn a million ship if the server is going to be wiped in a week.

but 3.9s around the corner will they wipe for that one? hmmm. that will be interesting.

meanwhile i got all my guns upgraded on my carrack and i ripping the quantum drive out tomorrow. and that stuff sticks. before that stuff all would be gone also. was no point in upgrading gear if your first ship death it was poof gone.

ships weapons and gear sales matters and people can make use of them typically least several months between the patch releases 3 to 4 months. that kinda persistence was a huge thing. if they can keep lest the gear and uec between updates will be a big thing.

but 3.9 is like a month away.

17. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    You grace this thread with your appearance Laughing Ma.

Not so long ago people were paying for pictures, heck they still are to some extent. Cynics are entitled to their opinion, i was sceptical myself however i'd preach a more positive stance considering the gameplay available. Being a little behind on development i can live with, the scope of this project and how the funds are being used is enough to tell me us backers aren't dealing with shithouse developer that's purely looking to make a profit for their investors.

So many games ruined.

18. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I dunno CIG have done some questionable stuff over the years but if the cash is wholly from backers then that does leave them in a unique position over other developers. They at least don't have the investor return's sword of damocles hanging over their heads. The hope would be that they never need to get outside investor input as that would signal some serious questions about either their original funding projections or their ability to manage the project.

Anyway, my comments were meant to be less about the money, where it is coming from and how it is being spent and more to do with the wholly false accusation that NMS was ripping off content from SC.

19. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    The depth and overall scope of what is being created is so far above and beyond the current gaming norm, that there really is no standard for it.
    I love the fact that they are pushing to do things that no one, a few years back, thought possible.
    Not to mention the fact that we are living in the golden age of home made PC building, gaming and graphics/cpu power.
    I remember what games looked like 25 years ago, hell 35 even, and what is happening now is remarkable.
    I love a good drama, and SC is that.
    I've gotten my hundred bucks out of it many times over now, worth every penny.

HandR and cerebus23 like this.
  20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    all companies have done questionable stuff.

selling a "skin"/shuttle variant for 25 while explaining F all about what it was or how it worked, letting the rumor mills grind and misinform backers. the whole insurance/lti thing, the fact they cant get turbulent to update the ships matrix that people supposed to be buying ships off off, trying to charge for citzcon access last year. CR saying stupid stuff in the past.

cig communications are 90% garbage. but they also having to have an open alpha running while trying to develop that single player thing and they been busy with that crytek lawsuit which has fd things somewhat of late, tho they insisted they have not. CR clearly been busy we not seen much of him in the last 6 months or so. the crytek stuff wrapping up 3.9 due this month, s42 roadmap can be updated when 3.9 features drop. and hope some of the muckraking about muh loops can settle.