Radeon RX 5600 XT Board Partners Still ship their graphics card with 'old BIOS'.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    AMD last hour BIOS shenanigans gave manufacturers a LOT of troubles.
    So, they sell the product and point indirectly fingers at AMD.
    The RX 5600 launch was flopped by all this and at a personal level was infuriatingly mismanaged.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    This card is so DOA specially with the R2060 being the superior one with more features and better drivers.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    And to think I was almost decided to buy it, at launch!
    This should be a good lesson.
    Wait, read reviews, let the dev team release better drives and look for deals.
    Even so, no point in spending money in a hurry.
    Planet will spin, Sun will shine and everything is the same without you having or not the latest GPU.
    But this depends of your point of view regarding life, money, and self-control among other things.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    olymind1 and airbud7 like this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You can say 2060 is the same to 5700. Drivers are not that bad.

6. Druss

Druss Guest

GPU:
    This is not strictly true, I know one brand flashed even it's it's launch stocks in the UK that shipped via distribution as we did it for them.

But that was one brand out of 4 I deal with. In most cases once it's left the factory though it's rare to be flashed be it graphics or motherboard unless it's a serious fault.

7. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Obviously AMD messed up with that last minute change, but I think it's been heavily compounded by coronavirus issues. They won't be able to do as much as normal, and I guess re-certifying those cards isn't high enough up the priority list.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I was considering grabbing an RX5600XT for my son, since his monitor only supports FreeSync through HDMI. The vbios fiasco put a quick end to that. Might just grab him a new monitor instead....

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Amd panicked when nvidia made the most common move amd should have counter react with a 50 usd reduction on their own and then see all the reviews talking about the sheer value and that also this card can overclock so well ! But nope they had to continue their bad gpu lunch streak :p

alanm likes this.

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Is surprising how many people here have problems with updating the bios.
    Isn't more or less like updating the drivers? or your motherboard bios?

I do think the 5600xt, black screen apart, is a fine card, and the 2060 is too much expensive.

12. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    Yes, but could brick the GPU if not done correctly. Rare, but does happen. No to mention most folks I know barely are aware of Drivers, much less know how to update a BIOS. They buy a pre-built and hope for the best with little knowledge on how to upkeep its software/drivers. Some figure it out, but most are oblivious.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    For users on Linux this is not an option. I don't think there's an up to date tool to update bios on these new cards.
    I wanted to order 1660 super but my order was never fulfilled, probably because manufacturing delays in China (virus). Locally available cards are of course very overpriced.
    I'm now more in favor of picking up a vanilla 5700 with a blower, which is cheaper then 5600xt (with it's cripple bios)

14. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Many consumers are not tech savvy and won't even know what a vbios is let alone that there is one that improves performance.

Maddness and airbud7 like this.
  15. vuli

vuli Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte GD6870(GV-R687O)
    like it is so dificult to update an bios.:rolleyes: Most like manufactures have an update on their websites...

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'm not surprised by this because MSI did say some of their 5600Xt cards can't handle the new VBIOS and the 14gbps speeds and that applies to other cards that were cheaply made or lack the cooling. Also this new VBIOS goes above the recommended specs that AMD themselves set. Also there questions on whether or not this new VBIOS would degrade the card faster making it less stable over a period of time.
    It's not about how easy it is to flash the new BIOS on to the card. It has to do with if the card is capable of being stable with the new VBIOS flashed to the card. Not all 5600XT cards can handle the new VBIOS.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Interesting enough I talked to a Microcenter employee when we bought one from them.

Brick and mortar stores like Microcenter, Best Buy, Frys, Office Max that receive these cards flash them when they first get the shipment to their distribution centers, then after they are flashed they are sent to the store. Warehouse online shops like Newegg or Amazon, 9/10 they come direct with no updates applied.

Most of the board partners list what cards are certified to be capable and ones that aren't.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  18. Interesting indeed. So much of the world’s manufacturing will become affected by the virus for a period it seems. Or the perception of it thereof.

19. Really?? Aww man that sucks I was always under the impression that from back in the day Newegg would do that ... (granted not “Newegg Marketplace”) but Newegg actual... are you going off your gut or for certain?