Bethesda removes games from game stream service GeForce Now

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    We aren't slaves to markets. Stating how things are has no bearing on how things ought to be.

I also disagree that it should require an agreement between Bethesda and Nvidia; I think a government consumer protection agency somewhere should step in and stamp this concept out. Legally, they should have no say whatsoever where I install or play the copies of my games that I purchased, be that Windows or Linux, AMD or Nvidia or Intel, VM or physical PC. A decent government would disabuse them of that notion quickly, unfortunately ours is abdicating its responsibility.

How is Nvidia selling a platform on which to play games any different from a company like Alienware that sells you a PC on which to play games? Do you think it would be acceptable for Bethesda to say "Our software can no longer be installed on Alienware PCs"? How is that different?

2. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    If I remember correctly, international intelectual property laws specify that the legal owner of the IP can ask the intermediary for a compensation, or to take the product off from the market, if the intermediary is doing profits with their products.

If Nvidia can prove that they aren't making money, they could settle without giving them nothing, but I think that isn't the best solution.

Final user rights are the same, but we can't legally demand a solution for those "problems".

I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's nice or perfect, I only try to explain how it usually works.

Is about laws. Are they acceptable? Thats something totally different.

Maybe you are right, but I prefere to not talk about politics here.

:)

[Edit] As users/consumers, the only thing we can do is to put pressure over companys and not buying their products.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  3. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Streaming services are a nice idea, but they never end well. This feels a lot like Netflix, which previously had a lot of stuff but then everyone started rolling out their own service and now we're going back to the issue we had with cable TV packages.

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    I think this is the actual issue. nvidia is not making money of their IPs, not directly at least, and if nvidia is not making money of their IPs, they can't make money. With Stadia, publishers did not had issue because Stadia is also a game store, GeforceNOW is not.

Greedy publishers are pulling out because all they can think about is to sell us 2 copies or double subs (WoW etc)...

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    So then, since you OWN it, you can freely copy all of your games and sell them right? You sound like a 12 year old who believes milk comes from cartons and the tooth fairy.

6. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Actually that is wrong. Based on a December 2019 ruling against Steam it seems people do own the games and can sell them. I would not be surprised to see more challenges regarding consumer rights to games they own.

https://www.ccn.com/landmark-steam-ruling-opens-door-to-used-digital-games-market/

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nobody in the real world cares what the french ruled.

Order_66 likes this.
  8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Apparently the EU does, and I imagine Steam does. This isn't the first time the EU clashed with Steam ... in another case Steam was ordered to stop geo-blocking games.
    So it's pretty simple to see how the ownership of digital game/right to resell games case will end up.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Even less so, your opinions. o_O 1st world nation state rulings can create a precedent followed by others. Durrrrrr.

pharma likes this.
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That's his version of 'edgy ' I guess. I'm thinking it's a good time for a phat bong hit. :cool:

It seems to me the simple and logical reason, that Bethesda is starting their own service, is the reasoning.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No really, nothing has come of the ruling since and France can't even prove that a product has exchanged hands (it hasn't)

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I think it's pretty clear that Google (stadia) wants to be the top dog when it comes to game streaming. And they have the money to do it. I'm sure there's all kinds of deals going on behind the scenes we don't know about.

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    No really, your post was dumb. Even dumber to defend it. Stop digging and don't be a sora loser. ;)

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Sorry, I can't hear you over how angry you get every time airbud writes something. :D

15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Give it time, the ruling only happened in December and Steam will likely have to build some type of resell mechanism for the digital games. I'm pretty sure what goes for France will go for the entire EU.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Do you really think a smiley face covers how angry you are at being clowned for being dumb? Secondarily your weird obsessing over me and what I think. Besides not commenting on airhead more than once a week or less, the feeling I have for him is much like I have for you, pity. Pity that someone is such an ignorant rube. If you could intelligently rebut the comments you would. That you instead post another stupid trolling comment....well, sora loser, you have my pity.

Of course. What he is claiming is that EU law has no meaning. He's unaware the ruling claims to be following EU law. Whether that stands is a separate issue. It's a dumb claim to say this ruling means nothing. I guess some folks just like to make dumb posts for the attention.

pharma likes this.
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Woah okay guys, let's take a step back here and be civil. No more talk of law, no more insults, no more being children.

Annnnnnd go.

18. What once was Netflix circa etc is now Game streaming well, now; just at a more accelerated pace. The technology has already been refined by film & tv. Every big publisher will want a piece of the action.

Luc and jbscotchman like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    doubt they'll have the infrastructure to truly pull it off though.

20. That will be really interesting to see... EA (for NA yes, Global not sure) & Activision-Blizzard yes (Bethesda will probably mess it up unless their parent company steps in which has deep pockets)

Eventually we’ll see other media titans that are addicted to monetizing every last drop of everything catch wind (Disney with everything they’ve ever licensed & now acquired etc migrating their game titles with Disney+)